Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Whitfield is visiting on the 30th i believe. Don't believe the Gophers have moved on yet.
He has been scheduled to visit 2 or 3 other times and cancelled every time so while I would like him to be a Gopher I don't think it is going to happen.

I'm surprised Skelton has no offers. He was extremely productive in H.S., 22 tds and 1375 yards receiving. 4.56 forty time. 3.625 gpa. 6'1" 175 might scare off some teams, but he made all state in Georgia which is never a state short on talent. http://www.eliteprepprospects.com/#!tj-skelton/cgf

247 has him at 185 so who knows where he's actually at but yea he certainly needs to put on even more than that. I could see him being really dangerous in the slot.

Any word on any if the guys that visited last week and if any are close to committing? Sorry if I missed it

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this sounds promising...:rolleyes:

ahhh my favorite time of year. RAH' Crootin! two weeks to go. Lets close...

I'm surprised Skelton has no offers. He was extremely productive in H.S., 22 tds and 1375 yards receiving. 4.56 forty time. 3.625 gpa. 6'1" 175 might scare off some teams, but he made all state in Georgia which is never a state short on talent. http://www.eliteprepprospects.com/#!tj-skelton/cgf

For me it's Rashad Still. I would be thrilled with either him or Register in this class and I truly believe both are top 100 caliber receivers. Pinkey is a top 100 reciever and I'm pretty sure Burns said Pinkey was our #2 choice behind Register. Devin Funchess might be a bit unrealistic and a stretch but I think either of them could definitely be our Kyle Prater and achieve his level of production. Big 6-5, 220 pounder from Northwestern that had about 530 receiving yards this past year. It's just like Melvin Holland. Similar to Register and Still, he didn't have an evaluation or an FBS offer until sometime in November or December but the moment you watch him you just know he is a player.

Anyways if we do get Register, I would assume that Still would be off the board and we would look only at the smaller faster guys like Skelton and Beal. Doubt we take two 6-5 receivers especially with Gentry, Holland and Gant on board.

For me it's Rashad Still. I would be thrilled with either him or Register in this class and I truly believe both are top 100 caliber receivers. Pinkey is a top 100 reciever and I'm pretty sure Burns said Pinkey was our #2 choice behind Register. Devin Funchess might be a bit unrealistic and a stretch but I think either of them could definitely be our Kyle Prater and achieve his level of production. Big 6-5, 220 pounder from Northwestern that had about 530 receiving yards this past year. It's just like Melvin Holland. Similar to Register and Still, he didn't have an evaluation or an FBS offer until sometime in November or December but the moment you watch him you just know he is a player.

Anyways if we do get Register, I would assume that Still would be off the board and we would look only at the smaller faster guys like Skelton and Beal. Doubt we take two 6-5 receivers especially with Gentry, Holland and Gant on board.

Watch next weekends visits as they will lend clarity to our WR situation. If we land Kelly and Johnson, then we have too many DB's and either Kelly or Kiante Harden probably moves to WR and our need for speed is filled, so no Beal or Skelton.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My roommate and I are too icy
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bruurrr?src=hash">#Bruurrr</a>❄️ <a href="https://twitter.com/Texas_boy49">@Texas_boy49</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a>〽️ <a href="http://t.co/lNg26GZZIP">pic.twitter.com/lNg26GZZIP</a></p>— Demry〽️Croft (@_TheRealDCroft_) <a href="https://twitter.com/_TheRealDCroft_/status/557748565712572418">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

wondering why Sykes would choose Wash St over Minnesota and Nebraska and Oregon st. Maybe because he would have been a backup? 247sports has him as .8226 3 star.

Kyle Prater was such a bust. He was rated the #3 prospect in the nation by Rivals at one point. With Jones and Krizanic leaving I think they could take 2 or even all 3 wrs. The only guys with much game experience are Wolitarsky and Maye. They could use the bodies. Register, Stills, and then the third on either Beal or Skelton are my guesses.

Honestly, I would not worry about rankings when it comes to recruiting the secondary as the staff absolutely knows how to recruit and coach this position. The positions that seem the most concerning to me in terms of this staffs ability to recruit/evaluate/develop as of now are...

1. QB
2. WR
3. DE

The positions that I feel the staff is the best at recruiting/evaluating/developing as of now are...

1. DB
2. OL
3. RB

Sykes could NOT commit to Minnesota after we landed Hardin and Craighton as we filled up our corner spots at that time.

Yeah I remember him commenting/tweeting that "all the spots are filled" soon after those two committed. If my vague memory serves me right then it seems that he WANTED to be a gopher but in the end did not commit soon enough and was expendable (in terms of joining the team).

Honestly, I would not worry about rankings when it comes to recruiting the secondary as the staff absolutely knows how to recruit and coach this position. The positions that seem the most concerning to me in terms of this staffs ability to recruit/evaluate/develop as of now are...

1. QB
2. WR
3. DE

The positions that I feel the staff is the best at recruiting/evaluating/developing as of now are...

1. DB
2. OL
3. RB

QB and WR have been sketchy. Foreman and DRM were both puzzling. The WRs, we've had 33 of em in 4 years and are hoping 3 freshmen save us. Maybe circumstances is more the issue than evaluation at DE? I'd say you are on target with your rankings. Are LB's in the middle? TE's have been good too....effective when not flashy.

QB and WR have been sketchy. Foreman and DRM were both puzzling. The WRs, we've had 33 of em in 4 years and are hoping 3 freshmen save us. Maybe circumstances is more the issue than evaluation at DE? I'd say you are on target with your rankings. Are LB's in the middle? TE's have been good too....effective when not flashy.

I'd say the WR/QB issues are more of the mental/character/off field type for the most part. Those things are tough to evaluate, and change quickly in 18/19 year old underclassmen.
That and some very young QBs starting the past 3 seasons pushing guys out of the program that were looking for PT.

At DE, what's the issue? Cockran had a down year but had 10 sacks as a soph. Amaefula was a 4 year starter. Keith looked great this year until he messed his knee up. Guys like Hank Ekpe and Galen Elmore were pretty dang good for true soph/freshmen. Dinero Laster has flashed as a rush end in passing situations.

I'd say the WR/QB issues are more of the mental/character/off field type for the most part. Those things are tough to evaluate, and change quickly in 18/19 year old underclassmen.
That and some very young QBs starting the past 3 seasons pushing guys out of the program that were looking for PT.

At DE, what's the issue? Cockran had a down year but had 10 sacks as a soph. Amaefula was a 4 year starter. Keith looked great this year until he messed his knee up. Guys like Hank Ekpe and Galen Elmore were pretty dang good for true soph/freshmen. Dinero Laster has flashed as a rush end in passing situations.

1-21-2015 9-42-13 AM.png

Well for starters, we were in the bottom half of the B1G in sacks.

1-21-2015 9-44-09 AM.jpg

Out of all of our front 7 sacks only 19 came from the DL 10 of those being DE's.

Top Bottom