Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Would be our second best recruit on a composite basis and big time offer list. About the same as Saint Amour or Shelton Johnson. Definitely makes up for the loss of interest from those two.

Interesting, high profile offers but no visits...grades?

Interesting, high profile offers but no visits...grades?

No one really seems to know why all the interest in him dried up? Could be grades. Could be character concerns? Could be teams got a look at his Sr film and took a pass? If the grades or character concerns are bad enough to scare away the SEC, where does that leave us realistically? Also really strange in this day and age that the kid doesn't have a cell phone or any social media accounts.

No one really seems to know why all the interest in him dried up? Could be grades. Could be character concerns? Could be teams got a look at his Sr film and took a pass? If the grades or character concerns are bad enough to scare away the SEC, where does that leave us realistically? Also really strange in this day and age that the kid doesn't have a cell phone or any social media accounts.

How do you know he doesn't have a cell phone?

How do you know he doesn't have a cell phone?

Maybe he is like me.... I assume anyone who doesn't call me doesn't have a phone. Why else wouldn't they call me???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rashad Still looks pretty raw. 6'6" though. 11 reception tds as a SR., but kind of strange he was tied for 2nd in catches and was 3rd in receiving yards on his team. Has a hudl video. Is most fades and screens. Some nice blocking highlights. Looks fairly quick for his size, but not a burner.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1414106/highlights/170157379

Rashad Still looks pretty raw. 6'6" though. 11 reception tds as a SR., but kind of strange he was tied for 2nd in catches and was 3rd in receiving yards on his team. Has a hudl video. Is most fades and screens. Some nice blocking highlights. Looks fairly quick for his size, but not a burner.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1414106/highlights/170157379

Kind of strange he's in UTEP's back yard and even they haven't offered. His highlights look promising though.

Looking at the top-20 in-state recruits list on the 247 website for the city of Lafayette, La. they seem to have had one single player from Lafayette (Micah Eugene-LSU) rank in the top-20 since they started compiling in 2009.

Looking at the commitment list for Lafayette, La on Rivals, they show 2 guys to LSU (local school), 1 to Miami Fla and 1 to Northwestern since 2009. Other than that it's a few regional, non-BCS teams like Tulane/Memphis/Tulsa recruiting there.

This is not to say that no talent ever comes from Lafayette, but it's plainly not a hotbed of talent compared to other areas in the South and probably not worth the drive for most recruiters.
There are far more if you include pre-2009 (bad five years, for whatever reason).

Have a look at the map yourself:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...09336/college-football-recruiting-map-regions

Take away the SEC and just focus on the other power 5 conferences. You'll still see a good deal of recruiting going on in the triangle between Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and New Orleans.

There are far more if you include pre-2009 (bad five years, for whatever reason).

Have a look at the map yourself:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...09336/college-football-recruiting-map-regions

Take away the SEC and just focus on the other power 5 conferences. You'll still see a good deal of recruiting going on in the triangle between Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and New Orleans.

It's not just a bad 5 years (not that that's a legitimate argument anyway). Since 2006, the past 9 years, there have been a grand total of 6 BCS players to come out of Lafayette, 3 of which were LSU commits. That's 3 players for everyone else to fight over. You want to include 2004 and 2005 when there were 9 total to beef up your point, that's fine. If you include those years, that gives you a grand total of 15 BCS players in 11 years to come from Lafayette. That's hardly a recruiting hotbed my friend. For reference Eden Prairie has had 12 and Cretin Derham Hall 13 in that same time frame.

It's not just a bad 5 years (not that that's a legitimate argument anyway). Since 2006, the past 9 years, there have been a grand total of 6 BCS players to come out of Lafayette, 3 of which were LSU commits. That's 3 players for everyone else to fight over. You want to include 2004 and 2005 when there were 9 total to beef up your point, that's fine. If you include those years, that gives you a grand total of 15 BCS players in 11 years to come from Lafayette. That's hardly a recruiting hotbed my friend. For reference Eden Prairie has had 12 and Cretin Derham Hall 13 in that same time frame.
Who on earth would ever argue that Eden Prairie or Cretin Derham are either overlooked or inadequate at producing college football talent? Just because the state of Minnesota football is sub-par doesn't mean that those schools are in the slightest. Nor are they even remotely off the radar of major recruiting schools.

Who on earth would ever argue that Eden Prairie or Cretin Derham are either overlooked or inadequate at producing college football talent? Just because the state of Minnesota football is sub-par doesn't mean that those schools are in the slightest. Nor are they even remotely off the radar of major recruiting schools.

Point being, Minnesota doesn't produce a ton of talent and if one single high school can rival the entire city of Lafayette La., it says something about the football talent coming out of Lafayette La. and consequently it's desirability as a stop on the major football recruiting trail.

I want to revisit your claim that "Lafayette is recruited heavily by most of the SEC schools". You said that in order to disprove the notion that it's a little off the beaten path for recruiters, but there's only 6 total SEC commits in the past 11 years, 3 of which were to in-state LSU. So "most of the SEC" is "heavily" recruiting Lafayette and pulled 3 players in 11 years? Not trying to be a dick, but the math doesn't add up on that.

Lafayette and Eden Prairie high schools are comparable in size. The difference is Lafayette is a town of 120,000 which stands alone, where as Eden Prairie is embedded in a metropolitan area of 3 million+. Lafayette producing similar numbers of BCS talent compared to Eden Prairie is pretty good. A better comparison would be Lafayette vs Rochester and I think Lafayette would come out on top in that battle.

I want to revisit your claim that "Lafayette is recruited heavily by most of the SEC schools". You said that in order to disprove the notion that it's a little off the beaten path for recruiters, but there's only 6 total SEC commits in the past 11 years, 3 of which were to in-state LSU. So "most of the SEC" is "heavily" recruiting Lafayette and pulled 3 players in 11 years? Not trying to be a dick, but the math doesn't add up on that.
Just because those schools aren't getting many players doesn't mean they aren't offering. In that 11 year time frame you have offers from: LSU (4), Ole Miss (4), Alabama, Texas A&M (2), Tennessee (4), Auburn, South Carolina (2), and Vanderbilt

So that's 8 SEC schools. "Heavily" may have been an overstatement (though no more than calling it "slim pickings"), but I'd say your expectations are a little high and we're getting off track here. The original argument was whether or not Register was underlooked because he was playing off the beaten path. The number of FBS and P5 commitments coming out of the mid-sized city, as well as the surrounding area, would still suggest that is not the case. Not relative to the vast majority of high school football players anyway.

Again, comparing it to EP or Cretin, who on earth would ever say "well he didn't get the recruiters attention because he played for Cretin"? Yes, they're just two schools, but those are two schools that more or less get their pick of the litter from a rather large metro area.

There aren't that many high schools producing 1-2 BCS talents a year.

Okay, I searched pretty hard back to around the first of the year...I thought there was a post on who we might end up with for our final committments. Can't find it. Who are our targets? Coach Kill seems to be stressing out frequently on losing some of our present verbals...who might flip? OL he said is done. But RB and DB must also be done? We have no WR or DL commits? What other positions are critical to improve this class? Don't want it to be an argument how many more scholarships we have to offer but it seems 7 or 8 more based on comments from Kill. That's a lot for two weeks isn't it? I know we can get bodies to fill the slots but what about quality?
Chances for Jamal Milan? He our best DL prospect? etc etc Oh, and what positions are the two athletes likely to play?
It's a pig man!, Btowngopher, John Galt, die hard Gopher, jaymil, any of you guys who track this got a recap as we head to the finish line? Thanks

Okay, I searched pretty hard back to around the first of the year...I thought there was a post on who we might end up with for our final committments. Can't find it. Who are our targets? Coach Kill seems to be stressing out frequently on losing some of our present verbals...who might flip? OL he said is done. But RB and DB must also be done? We have no WR or DL commits? What other positions are critical to improve this class? Don't want it to be an argument how many more scholarships we have to offer but it seems 7 or 8 more based on comments from Kill. That's a lot for two weeks isn't it? I know we can get bodies to fill the slots but what about quality?
Chances for Jamal Milan? He our best DL prospect? etc etc Oh, and what positions are the two athletes likely to play?
It's a pig man!, Btowngopher, John Galt, die hard Gopher, jaymil, any of you guys who track this got a recap as we head to the finish line? Thanks

Look at post 2017 on page 101. Brandon Scott is off the board and Dior Johnson got offered. Most of the stuff is still accurate though.

Here is what I posted on a different thread:

"Signing day is in about 20 days, so it's unlikely we're going to end up with someone at that time we've never heard of. The most likely recruits to commit are those that have visited and are still undecided and those that have visits coming up. Here is my order of likelihood for who we end up with...

1. Bryce Witham (TE)
2. Mose Hall (DE)
3. Hunter Register (WR)
4. Jamal Milan (DT)
5. John Kelly (All Everything)
6. McKinley Whitfield (OLB)
7. Brandon Singleton (WR)
8. Anthony McKee (OLB)

We probably end up with 4-5 of those 8 players. Others that are left are Anree Saint-Amour, but he's probably Stanford bound. Sykes and Davis had offers at one point but they appear to have dried up. Wyatt Ray is a BC commit and visited, but I doubt he flips this late. Kill said the remaining priorities are 1 safety, 1 OLB, 2-3 D-lineman, 1-2 WRs, and a TE."

Rivals is showing two new recruits with upcoming visits:

Anthony Smiley, Athlete from Alabama (1/30): https://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/...iley-161640;_ylt=ArDwrt.ZQo0Wb153eQP5Dr3UspB4
Sam Beal, Athlete, currently a Western Michigan commit (1/23): https://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/...Beal-166347;_ylt=AtVW4ky6.lnyy7btBXEhQNzUspB4

Top Bottom