Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Jamal Milan to Illinois. That seems to be where the consensus is putting their bets.

I'm wondering if we have someone else waiting to be offered, possible flip or late qualifier.

Yeah last 2 are Gopher writers both going with Illinois. But it is still an even chop between the guys.

Ruggers. Since he never committed to us, you can't really say he didn't stick with us. I was also hoping he would commit to us. You never know until they sign. Wonder if we will get any flips in the next few days or if we pick up someone that some SEC school could not sign because they have 30 commits.

I am also excited to see what prospect that we (fans) don't know about that will be a golden gopher. Recent history suggests we will get one but who and how impactful/talented the player is gets me anxious. Not saying that person is expected to be an instant contributor but I hope we get another pleasant surprise.

Is there going to be a tracker like there was last year?

per the PiPress:

Croft's enthusiasm for the Gophers increased after his official visit in November, when he saw the Gophers hang tough in a 31-24 loss to eventual national champion Ohio State.

That's about when the text messages started to bond committed recruits in Minnesota, Illinois, Alabama, Louisiana, Kansas and beyond.

"We're pretty excited," Croft said.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...-excited-recruiting-class-already-bonding-via

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I haven't followed closely this year, are we waiting on a decision from anyone besides Milan??

Rivals Team Recruiting Rankings: Jan. 29, 2015 vs Feb 4, 2015
Ohio St #7 - now #9
Penn St #12 - now # 15
Mich St #25 now #22
Wisc #30 now #43 So, dropped 13 spots
Neb #39 now # 31 so bumped up 8 spots
MN #42 now #51 so lost 9 spots in 6 days -- we did not close well
NW #43 now #56 lost 13 spots

and then the other surprising classes to me...I know the coaches at Florida and Michigan got fired. But, Florida is in Florida and is big time. They are #100 ! Michigan #75 and their latest pickup is a 2 star guy. They have two 4 star QB's, will they have 2 on signing day? Both of these only have 9 or 10 recruits. Curious to see how it shakes out. And Iowa St is 73 for no reason I know but not a good sign for them...I suppose it helps us in some small way. (that was 1/29/15)

From there at #75 Michigan closed to #49 ahead of us. Illinois and Indiana also passed us up the last week. Florida went from #100 to #23 in 6 days!!! Impressive but understandable on Florida. Minnesota in top 40 would have been nice. I think that's where we need to get to. Somewhere 30 to 40 should be possible. Hopefully, next year that is the case. Good MN HS class should help.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ohio St #7 - now #9
Penn St #12 - now # 15
Mich St #25 now #22

and then the other surprising classes to me...I know the coaches at Florida and Michigan got fired. But, Florida is in Florida and is big time. They are #100 ! Michigan #75 and their latest pickup is a 2 star guy. They have two 4 star QB's, will they have 2 on signing day? Both of these only have 9 or 10 recruits. Curious to see how it shakes out. And Iowa St is 73 for no reason I know but not a good sign for them...I suppose it helps us in some small way. (that was 1/29/15)

From there at #75 Michigan closed to #49 ahead of us. Illinois and Indiana also passed us up the last week. Florida went from #100 to #23 in 6 days!!! Impressive but understandable on Florida. Minnesota in top 40 would have been nice. I think that's where we need to get to. Somewhere 30 to 40 should be possible. Hopefully, next year that is the case. Good MN HS class should help.

I would just encourage ALL fans of any program to not get too sold on how national writers/bloggers/"recruiting experts" rank classes. One thing that is never mentioned in the rankings is: development! If you look at our class from the early Kill years you would be correct by saying "Some kid named Maxx Williams is only a two star recruit" one red-shirt season and two years on the field later, he is a likely draftee to the NFL after leaving school early because he is good enough.

It is sexy to look at stars and rankings but it is a bit smarter to hold judgement (or bragging) until the players get to PROVE their abilities on the field. Because back to Maxx I bet there were plenty of TEs ranked better than him but if colleges got to go back in the past and re-recruit, I am sure he gets offered by every coach that he hears from.

Three-star players are pretty darn good football players. They may not have the hit-rate of success (or sure-fire NFL prospects) that four- and five-star players do, but they are typically really good. Add in our coaching staff, and I feel good about some of those guys turning into difference makers down the road.

Can't wait to see what they do on the field over the next five years.

I would just encourage ALL fans of any program to not get too sold on how national writers/bloggers/"recruiting experts" rank classes. One thing that is never mentioned in the rankings is: development! If you look at our class from the early Kill years you would be correct by saying "Some kid named Maxx Williams is only a two star recruit" one red-shirt season and two years on the field later, he is a likely draftee to the NFL after leaving school early because he is good enough.

It is sexy to look at stars and rankings but it is a bit smarter to hold judgement (or bragging) until the players get to PROVE their abilities on the field. Because back to Maxx I bet there were plenty of TEs ranked better than him but if colleges got to go back in the past and re-recruit, I am sure he gets offered by every coach that he hears from.

Well aware and have commented many times my faith in the ability of the staff to develop and evaluate players. However, if the consensus was that the starting line for our group was 10 or 20 slots higher it would be not leave as much ground to make up to catch up and be competitive. Jerry says we don't have the luxury to select recruits. I'd just like to see incremental improvement versus the rankings making the task to become Big Ten Champs not quite so herculean. (And on rivals Maxx was a 3 star recruit.)

Ohio St #7 - now #9
Penn St #12 - now # 15
Mich St #25 now #22

The drop in rankings had nothing to do with Kill & co. not closing well- it was simply a result of us already having a full class of commitments and others, who passed us filling out their classes late.

The drop in rankings had nothing to do with Kill & co. not closing well- it was simply a result of us already having a full class of commitments and others, who passed us filling out their classes late.

Disagree: In the last week we landed the following guys: Witham , Hall, Still, Register and WD40. That is 5 guys we waited until the last week to close on, hoping we'd find better prospects. All are 2 stars which lowered the ranking.
We also added Dior Johnson a 4 star, but that doesn't compensate for the 5 2's. (adding 2's lowers the score)

What hurt the most was we couldn't land Milan or McKinley today. They were both 3 star kids at positions of need.
We had no other options available to us at those positions. We kept the scholarships in our pocket. To me closing with 5 2's and missing on two positions of need (and two 3 star kids) is not closing well.

It is also entirely possible the 5 2's will be the best recruits in four years but that's different story line.

We didn't close out on Milan and Whitfield which would have held us steady.

Disagree: In the last week we landed the following guys: Witham , Hall, Still, Register and WD40. That is 5 guys we waited until the last week to close on, hoping we'd find better prospects. All are 2 stars which lowered the ranking.
We also added Dior Johnson a 4 star, but that doesn't compensate for the 5 2's. (adding 2's lowers the score)

What hurt the most was we couldn't land Milan or McKinley today. They were both 3 star kids at positions of need.
We had no other options available to us at those positions. We kept the scholarships in our pocket. To me closing with 5 2's and missing on two positions of need (and two 3 star kids) is not closing well.

It is also entirely possible the 5 2's will be the best recruits in four years but that's different story line.

We have been on Register and Hall for a while and would have gladly taken Register's commitment since his OV and probably Mose too if he was able to visit sooner. The staff wouldn't consider them reaches. Also they are only 2 stars on rivals. Still is our #1 recruit on espn, Register and Winston both two of our top 5 rated guys on 247 and Witham is probably 5th or 6th highest rated recruit on Scout not to mention Hall had 3 other power 5 offers and is a 3 star everywhere else.

Your constant negativity is annoying.

Gophers Tally Highest Recruiting Class Ever Under Coach Kill

Your constant negativity is annoying.

2011 #52
2012 #73
2013 #61
2014 #52
2015 #51
All on Rivals
3rd Highest Ranking per player at 2.71
Yay!

Ummm, sorry but you're wrong on almost all counts- as of 1/29 when you cite our ranking to be #42 almost all of our commitments had been made.
Register 1/21
Still 1/24
Witham 1/26
Hall 1/27
Dior 1/28

The only commit after 1/29 was WD40 (love the nickname- congrats to whoever came up with it) which was #24 for us. Unless we're going to start playing the greyshirt game we only could have taken one of the 3* guys you mention, so wouldn't have gotten a huge bump from them.

Rivals does NOT dock you points for 2* players- they're just not worth as much as 3*s. That's a good thing for schools like Air Force and the two New Mexico Schools who had zero 3*-5* players but still have points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm, sorry but you're wrong on almost all counts- as of 1/29 when you cite our ranking to be #42 almost all of our commitments had been made. Register 1/21 Still 1/24 Witham 1/26 Hall 1/27 Dior 1/28 The only commit after 1/29 was WD40 (love the nickname- congrats to whoever came up with it) which was #24 for us. Unless we're going to start playing the greyshirt game we only could have taken one of the 3* guys you mention, so wouldn't have gotten a huge bump from them. Rivals does NOT dock you points for 2* players- they're just not worth as much as 3*s. That's a good thing for schools like Air Force and the two New Mexico Schools who had zero 3*-5* players but still have points. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I am a complete moron most of the time, I think I get to claim the WD40 nickname. Kind of an easy call when there are about 40 letters in his name, but I'm still proud of it!

You make absolutely NO sense with your typing (wish I could call it an argument but it just your stupidity via a keyboard) because you are unable to see what recruiting rankings are.... Since the sites who look to sell subscriptions to the public (you) and want to keep people coming in so they need to always have "new" rankings or "updated" info. Really all this is, is something to catch your attention and allow you to justify why you pay for the subscription in the first place.

But to get to the way Jerry Kill recruits (and has stated multiple times) they look for/evaluate players that the staff feels are specific body types and levels of athletism that can be coached while looking to find players that personally are fits for the U. This evaluation is completly irrelavent to the ESPNs and Rival.coms of the world because those are to sell subscriptions and Kills staff evaluates in order to KEEP THEIR JOB by getting the best players that fit what they want to do.

I cannot care any less whether or not personally you ever "get it" and are done with the complaining about how nationally we can't recruit because some expert says there are 50 classes better than us. But it is indicative to the level of comprehension you have since you can only validate how good you think the staff recruits is ONLY based on national rankings.... Not that the staff has been able to BEAT squads who supposedly out recruit them, but ONLY based on the national rank each year.

Just for fun, here's a subjective list of who I thought were the 10 best Gophers last year, their Rivals ranking, and their reported Power 5 offers.

Maxx-5.5 No offers
BC-5.5 Illinois
Damien Wilson-5.4 Kansas
David Cobb-5.5 Stanford
Zac Epping-5.7 No offers
Steven Richardson-5.5 No offers
Eric Murray-5.4 No offers
Tommy Olson-5.7 No offers
Cedric Thompson-5.2 No offers
Devondre Cambell-5.6 Texas, Tenn, KSU

You make absolutely NO sense with your typing (wish I could call it an argument but it just your stupidity via a keyboard) because you are unable to see what recruiting rankings are.... Since the sites who look to sell subscriptions to the public (you) and want to keep people coming in so they need to always have "new" rankings or "updated" info. Really all this is, is something to catch your attention and allow you to justify why you pay for the subscription in the first place.

But to get to the way Jerry Kill recruits (and has stated multiple times) they look for/evaluate players that the staff feels are specific body types and levels of athletism that can be coached while looking to find players that personally are fits for the U. This evaluation is completly irrelavent to the ESPNs and Rival.coms of the world because those are to sell subscriptions and Kills staff evaluates in order to KEEP THEIR JOB by getting the best players that fit what they want to do.

I cannot care any less whether or not personally you ever "get it" and are done with the complaining about how nationally we can't recruit because some expert says there are 50 classes better than us. But it is indicative to the level of comprehension you have since you can only validate how good you think the staff recruits is ONLY based on national rankings.... Not that the staff has been able to BEAT squads who supposedly out recruit them, but ONLY based on the national rank each year.

Perfectly stated thank you! When someone'e entire argument is based on star ratings it means they just don't get it.

2011 #52
2012 #73
2013 #61
2014 #52
2015 #51
All on Rivals
3rd Highest Ranking per player at 2.71
Yay!

It is impossible to carry out a discussion with someone that only has a superficial understanding of the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom