Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Holland has 61 tackles with four sacks, two forced fumbles and two interceptions on defense and was second team all state. I feel he would be Tegray Scales caliber OLB with those numbers along with his size and athleticism

Never thought I'd hear us being in the same recruiting league as Nebraska. Great news!

a nice Marcus Fuller article http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25020234/gophers-football-team-picks-up-three-star-receiver

"There's a really good chance they're going to land (Ragnow)," Shanker said. "It looks like Jeff Jones is going to stick with them as well. The class then would probably put them in that same category with Nebraska and Iowa in the middle of the Big Ten. That's pretty good when you're Minnesota and you're starting to build a program in a state where there isn't a large quantity of homegrown talent. Middle of the road a lot of times is the best you can hope for."

exciting stuff right there to have a class in the same group as Nebraska. Shanker is an ESPN analyst

"Middle of the road a lot of times is the best you can hope for"

Well that's BS. We keep it up and we can hope and expect more. Not saying OSU or Michigan but we can 'hope' for more.

Things are getting interesting according to Burns at GI. Conner Krizancic WR from Mentor HS (another big time program), Ohio, took his official visit to Cincy (where he's been committed for months) last weekend & says Cincy is not the right fit for him. He'll be on campus tomorrow morning, through Friday as he has basketball Sat & Sun. Krizancic will announce on Sunday & has taken no other visits so far, and has no other visits set up so he's likely our 3rd & final WR recruit this year. Cleveland Area POY. Staff has been trying to get him to visit for a while. Staff told him he reminds them of Eric Decker (take it for what it's worth).

In related news, Lenius who many believe will stay on the West Coast is on a seemingly spur-of-the-moment official to Utah WITH his Mom, with UW Sat & Sun. The family being from Vancouver, it seems he's as good as gone. Couldn't overcome the distance.

Things are getting interesting according to Burns at GI. Conner Krizancic WR from Mentor HS (another big time program), Ohio, took his official visit to Cincy (where he's been committed for months) last weekend & says Cincy is not the right fit for him. He'll be on campus tomorrow morning, through Friday as he has basketball Sat & Sun. Krizancic will announce on Sunday & has taken no other visits so far, and has no other visits set up so he's likely our 3rd & final WR recruit this year. Cleveland Area POY. Staff has been trying to get him to visit for a while. Staff told him he reminds them of Eric Decker (take it for what it's worth).

In related news, Lenius who many believe will stay on the West Coast is on a seemingly spur-of-the-moment official to Utah WITH his Mom, with UW Sat & Sun. The family being from Vancouver, it seems he's as good as gone. Couldn't overcome the distance.

I liked Conner's film. Sneaky fast and sneaky hard to tackle.

Gosh, that seems like a lot of touchdown runs. He throws unorthodox, kinda like Phillip Rivers, but in the highlight reel he is very accurate. This guy is a playmaker. Any where near the end zone he shook off tackles to score over and over. His touchdown to catch ratio is pretty high as well as a receiver. ha

From the film I've seen on all our QB's, he would be the best QB on the Gophers roster if he came in as a QB. Kinda surprised they're talking wide receiver without trying him out at QB first.

Whoever our QB is in 2-3 years is going to put up some incredible numbers with the WR group we are assembling. I love these commits.

lets hope he gets here today (or got here last night). This snow storm is awful.

lets hope he gets here today (or got here last night). This snow storm is awful.

The good news (or maybe the equally bad news) is that the Southeast is still sitting on their hands as they wait for the ice to melt. Airports, highways, schools, etc. have all been shut down for a couple days. So at least they are getting hit with weather too so a little snow in MN will not the turn off this year that it has in the past. It cold everywhere!

From the film I've seen on all our QB's, he would be the best QB on the Gophers roster if he came in as a QB. Kinda surprised they're talking wide receiver without trying him out at QB first.

I agree, the one video I saw of him at QB looked pretty darn good. I believe he threw for over 3000 yards, 33 TD's, 3 int's, and 1400 yards rushing his senior year. Heck of an athlete either way.

That pass at 1:05 :eek:

You can't teach that kind of arm strength. Receiver? Get this kid into Dinkytown as a quarterback.

Says the video is private when i try to watch on my phone :(

quick question from someone who doesn't follow football recruiting that closely, why are we taking 3 TE's in this class? seems like a little too many, and Gaelin Elmore seems like a stud, so why the other 2 TE's? feel like we would be better served using that scholarship on something else, like DB's, which I feel like is something we are lacking in this class.

I really like this class, esp if jones sticks and ragnow commits here. My only complaint would be on the defensive side of the ball, none of those guys do anything for me, just from looking at their rankings and offers, but like I said I don't follow recruiting closely on the football side, so they could be a lot better than I'm giving them credit.

quick question from someone who doesn't follow football recruiting that closely, why are we taking 3 TE's in this class? seems like a little too many, and Gaelin Elmore seems like a stud, so why the other 2 TE's? feel like we would be better served using that scholarship on something else, like DB's, which I feel like is something we are lacking in this class.

I really like this class, esp if jones sticks and ragnow commits here. My only complaint would be on the defensive side of the ball, none of those guys do anything for me, just from looking at their rankings and offers, but like I said I don't follow recruiting closely on the football side, so they could be a lot better than I'm giving them credit.

Our offense relies on multiple TE sets so we probably need a few more than most teams. Also, Elmore and Gibson aren't locks to stay at TE, especially Gibson. He could end up as a DE or LB, or more of a hybrid TE/H-back/WR type. Elmore was an all-state DE in Wisconsin, so he could end up on the defensive line.

Their higher rated players are on offense this class, but I look at that as a good thing considering we lacked explosiveness on offense this season. This staff has proven the past few years they can find lighter recruited defensive players and turn them into productive big ten players.

The good news (or maybe the equally bad news) is that the Southeast is still sitting on their hands as they wait for the ice to melt. Airports, highways, schools, etc. have all been shut down for a couple days. So at least they are getting hit with weather too so a little snow in MN will not the turn off this year that it has in the past. It cold everywhere!

Bad news imo. Less than a week till signing day & we can't fly in to visit recruits in the SE. My .02

Our offense relies on multiple TE sets so we probably need a few more than most teams. Also, Elmore and Gibson aren't locks to stay at TE, especially Gibson. He could end up as a DE or LB, or more of a hybrid TE/H-back/WR type. Elmore was an all-state DE in Wisconsin, so he could end up on the defensive line.

Their higher rated players are on offense this class, but I look at that as a good thing considering we lacked explosiveness on offense this season. This staff has proven the past few years they can find lighter recruited defensive players and turn them into productive big ten players.

I've also heard Gibson is getting some late interest from Southern schools (don't know if they are SEC schools or not) and while I'm not expecting him to sign elsewhere, I'm a dyed in the wool "it ain't over until the fax comes in" guy and I'm optimistic about Wednesday.

But I agree with your basic point. Kill uses a lot of TEs and H-Backs in a number of sets. Elmore looks like he could be a real hybrid guy with which to create mismatches. Gibson could project as a LB and my guess is they try to beef up Lingen (although he's pretty big alread), red-shirt him, and use him as a big-time blocking TE. If he red-shirts, he'll be a freshman eligibility-wise when Plsek and Goodger are seniors.

Liking this class. If everything falls in place, it should be a very good group of prospects.

Bad news imo. Less than a week till signing day & we can't fly in to visit recruits in the SE. My .02

In-home visits are essentially over though aren't they? We have Krizancic and Campbell coming to Minnesota this weekend (hopefully they make it) and then the quiet/dead period starts Sunday and goes until signing day.

I think we'll sign 22 guys and there will be some attrition that we don't know about.

It's hard for me to keep track of them all - does anyone have a list of the commits (including those already enrolled) as well as the likelys and hopefuls? That way I could at least count them without using my fingers and toes (and whatever else would get me to 21)

It's hard for me to keep track of them all - does anyone have a list of the commits (including those already enrolled) as well as the likelys and hopefuls? That way I could at least count them without using my fingers and toes (and whatever else would get me to 21)

Enrollees (2): McKinzy, Poock
Hard Commits (14): Mayes, Holland, Elmore, Stelter, Smith, Gibson, Richardson, Gentry, Williams, Lingen, Weyler, Kafo, Celestin, Rasmussen
Soft Commits (1): Jones

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits

Targets: Ragnow, James, Campbell, Lenius, Moore, Krizancic

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Targets

That was my downfall, Philly. I could only count to 20 1/2.

In-home visits are essentially over though aren't they? We have Krizancic and Campbell coming to Minnesota this weekend (hopefully they make it) and then the quiet/dead period starts Sunday and goes until signing day.

They'd be visiting everyone they could, trying to flip someone or snag a last minute recruit. It doesn't have to be a scheduled in-home to be valuable. Meeting them at school, wherever. Schools are scrambling to get last minute visits set up right now & this weather can't be helping.

Top Bottom