Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

McKinzy was a guest on GI Radio tonight. Man, that kid is impressive. Very well spoken kid who definitely sounds mature enough to enroll early and handle the rigors of school and football. If he doesn't make the NFL he's planning on owning a chain of barber shops (has cut hair for a long time) and also wants to own a construction company. I really enjoyed the interview.

A few other items of note:

-As you can see above, Dimonic has said he's been reaching out to recruits, especially WR's. He's tweeted Holland and plans on meeting up with him this weekend and try to get Holland to be a Gopher. He joked that he thinks he'll get Holland because he's not a slacker.

-His position was brought up and he definitely wants to be a QB and will be right away. He did say that if someone else grabs the reigns of the position he might be open to a position switch to help the team. He made it seem like transferring wouldn't cross his mind. If someone beats him out down the line, he said "that's on me" and he'd deal with it and switch positions if necessary. Again, very impressive.

Kill & Co. are recruiting the right kind of kids in that they are smart, tough, and unselfish players that fit their system. I like how things seem to be shaping up with this class. We are definitely in good hands.

I believe if Ragnow commits to the Gophs that Jones will stay. Holland comes if Ragnow and Jones are part of the class.

Ragnow is the key.

My $.02

I believe if Ragnow commits to the Gophs that Jones will stay. Holland comes if Ragnow and Jones are part of the class.

Ragnow is the key.

My $.02

Lets not forget we have a freshman All American at LT in Ben Lauer. The fact that we have a proven O Line and an offense that features a running attack is much more of a selling point to Jones. Ragnow could likely turn into a beast in college, but he will have to compete and play really well in order to see significant PT as a Freshman at the U. Our tackle positions are in good shape for the next few seasons and would be in great shape with Ragnow in the mix.

I'm sure Holland is much more interested in our QB play and our lack of depth at WR.

Ragnow is the key.

My $.02

In that scenario, Holland is putting a lot of stock into guys that he doesnt know.

In that scenario, Holland is putting a lot of stock into guys that he doesnt know.

Other then the guys on his own high school team or area who does he know. There are lots of nice guys that are coaches. Kill & Co are selling trajectory and having better recruits in the class makes other big time recruits feel more at ease with picking them. If we had all unheralded recruits, do you think Holland would consider coming here? Nope he is considering it because of the coaching staff, trajectory, school and the potential he sees in his future team mates.

Some interesting recruiting nuggets on the GI radio show last night:

1. Craig James may be a silent verbal, as he pretty much shut down his recruitment after his OV.
2. They believe Holland gets an offer from the Badgers in the next week, and it will be between the Gophers and Badgers to land him.
3. Confirmed that Ragnow does not have a commitable offer from FSU, and that it will be between the Gophers and Badgers.
4. The staff really wants Tegray Scales, but will offer one of 3 D-lineman if they can't land him.
5. Still feel we are in great shape to land Jeff Jones. Florida may get a commit in the next week from another RB, and same for Michigan. The Michigan OV isn't even finalized.
6. Chances are slim that we land Lenius or Kemp.

They also had an interesting story about De'Vondre Campbell that I hadn't heard before. Evidently, he committed on his visit last December, but Kill told him not to tell anyone and to keep wearing K-State gear. Sly....

They also had an interesting story about De'Vondre Campbell that I hadn't heard before. Evidently, he committed on his visit last December, but Kill told him not to tell anyone and to keep wearing K-State gear. Sly....

kill is 100% class. no way would he ask a recruit to do this. not to mention to bill snyder, who kill has said on numerous occasions he respects as much as anyone in the game, and who he has a personal relationship with. come on, no way would kill do that. sheesh.

Some interesting recruiting nuggets on the GI radio show last night:

1. Craig James may be a silent verbal, as he pretty much shut down his recruitment after his OV.
2. They believe Holland gets an offer from the Badgers in the next week, and it will be between the Gophers and Badgers to land him.
3. Confirmed that Ragnow does not have a commitable offer from FSU, and that it will be between the Gophers and Badgers.
4. The staff really wants Tegray Scales, but will offer one of 3 D-lineman if they can't land him.
5. Still feel we are in great shape to land Jeff Jones. Florida may get a commit in the next week from another RB, and same for Michigan. The Michigan OV isn't even finalized.
6. Chances are slim that we land Lenius or Kemp.

Thanks for the info John.

kill is 100% class. no way would he ask a recruit to do this. not to mention to bill snyder, who kill has said on numerous occasions he respects as much as anyone in the game, and who he has a personal relationship with. come on, no way would kill do that. sheesh.
Nothing says that Bill Snyder and Kansas State were not informed, Coach Kill would insist on it, it's about not advertising to other schools that he flipped. If it was known that he flipped there would have been fifteen coaches calling him the next day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>North Carolina just offered <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23blessed&src=hash">#blessed</a></p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/422937485027844096">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>North Carolina just offered <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23blessed&src=hash">#blessed</a></p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/422937485027844096">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

maybe it's just me but if i was a recruit and some program offered me now it'd be more of a feeling of what took you so damn long.

I really don't envy these kids. Sure, they get a free education, but the thought process and all the pressure leading up to signing day has got to be immense. If a team just offered me 3 weeks before signing day, that would lead me to ask lots of questions.

I really don't envy these kids. Sure, they get a free education, but the thought process and all the pressure leading up to signing day has got to be immense. If a team just offered me 3 weeks before signing day, that would lead me to ask lots of questions.

Agreed. Really tough decision.

Other then the guys on his own high school team or area who does he know. There are lots of nice guys that are coaches. Kill & Co are selling trajectory and having better recruits in the class makes other big time recruits feel more at ease with picking them. If we had all unheralded recruits, do you think Holland would consider coming here? Nope he is considering it because of the coaching staff, trajectory, school and the potential he sees in his future team mates.

My point is that he is going to go to the school that he feels fits him the best not because some other random highly regarded recruits decided to go there.

So people who are actually tuned into the staff and players are wrong because it contradicts your manufactured notion of a man you have no relationship with?

I remember Kill mentioning something similar to this on signing day. He told Campbell to not tell the websites as coaches will react and really turn up the pressure. Campbell laid low (which is why the fans got the NSD surprise), and the strategy worked.

GopherHole Q&A: Zach Hovey Weighs Scholarship Offers, Ivy League Opportunities and Gophers, Badgers PWO

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/327574?referrer_id=388419

I wish Zach would consider the pwo at the U but can't blame him for taking the full ride elsewhere. I can't be objective since I know his Mom but it's too bad the U doesn't have a scholarship for him. Zach's Mom was a tremendous athlete at the U and she is wicked smart. With four ivy offers, I know where he gets it. Good luck to Zach in selecting his school.

Go Gophers!

My point is that he is going to go to the school that he feels fits him the best not because some other random highly regarded recruits decided to go there.

How in the hell do you know what this kid is looking for? Trajectory? Haha. A lot of 17 year old boys use that in decision making. He could be choosing the school based on who has the hottest chicks or dudes?

How in the hell do you know what this kid is looking for? Trajectory? Haha. A lot of 17 year old boys use that in decision making. He could be choosing the school based on who has the hottest chicks or dudes?
Unlike you I listen to what the kid says. Jeff has already said that his relationship with the coaches and how well they prepare you for life after football are the most important factors in where he decides to go. What other kids do will be irrelevant if he's not comfortable in those areas.

Unlike you I listen to what the kid says. Jeff has already said that his relationship with the coaches and how well they prepare you for life after football are the most important factors in where he decides to go. What other kids do will be irrelevant if he's not comfortable in those areas.

Yet the conversation you are responding to is about Holland...

The south is nice to visit but I don't know if I could live or go to school there.

Quit putting words in my mouth. I never said I knew the reasons that would cause him to choose a school. You're an idiot if you think my previous statement is out of line. He's not picking a school because some other random high ranking recruits chose to go to that school. He's gonna pick the school that he feels fits him the best based on whatever criteria he feels is most important. He may or may not pick the Gophers but I highly doubt the choice will have anything to do with the decision of someone else let alone someone he does not know in the slightest.

I'm flabbergasted that you would object to the fact that I suggested the kid has a mind of his own and will make an informed decision.

Saw on Twitter that a Texas Tech QB is graduating early and transferring. Michael Brewer has two years of eligibility left and could play next fall. He didn't play much but has a great arm and can run. I think he played at the same high school as Drew Brees. Wonder if he'd consider coming up here and if our staff would take a look?

Hovey is athletic big kid that moves well.

I wish Zach would consider the pwo at the U but can't blame him for taking the full ride elsewhere. I can't be objective since I know his Mom but it's too bad the U doesn't have a scholarship for him. Zach's Mom was a tremendous athlete at the U and she is wicked smart. With four ivy offers, I know where he gets it. Good luck to Zach in selecting his school.

Go Gophers!
I like Zach as a player saw him the last couple years and you could tell he had a knack for knowing where to be on the football field. Gophers have a lot of young tight ends and limited scholarships this year so seems kind of caught in a numbers game. I know they like the Wayzata kid a lot because of how he performed in there summer camp. I can see why New Mexico and Miami of Ohio like him and probably will offer, he moves better in person then what people see on film, at least to my eye he looks quicker when you see him run on the field(at least I thought he looked quicker) than what might be perceived off video or TV. Any chance the Gophers would consider a Greyshirt offer for next year, enroll a semester and then be apart of the next class or counted back to the next year as scholarships open up maybe that is something Hovey and the staff could talk about as the recruiting season winds down. I think Lauer was kind of that way he was going to Greyshirt and then a couple scholarships opened up in the end for the class. He ended up being one of the steals of that class. Hovey seems like a Minnesota kid that most years the staff would like or take if the numbers were favorable and there were not already a lot of tight ends in the system. HE even looks big enough frame wise to put on the weight and play on the line. I think the Gophers like him, at this point it might be a numbers game with the class and filling up certain positions of need.

Saw on Twitter that a Texas Tech QB is graduating early and transferring. Michael Brewer has two years of eligibility left and could play next fall. He didn't play much but has a great arm and can run. I think he played at the same high school as Drew Brees. Wonder if he'd consider coming up here and if our staff would take a look?

Doubt it

Top Bottom