Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

btown - since I know you keep a master list and continue to update it, it's Andrew Stelter, not Stetler.

Dpo - Quick Question - How many RB's do you think the Gophs are going to take in this class?

I would be surprised if they took more than one (assuming Jones keeps his commitment), but if they did get a 2nd, it would be someone who is not a borderline prospect (i.e., has other BCS offers) and is a big back. Jones is on the small side and R. Williams will already be an upperclassman by fall 2014, leaving their underclassmen a little on the small side.

I would be surprised if they took more than one (assuming Jones keeps his commitment), but if they did get a 2nd, it would be someone who is not a borderline prospect (i.e., has other BCS offers) and is a big back. Jones is on the small side and R. Williams will already be an upperclassman by fall 2014, leaving their underclassmen a little on the small side.

That's what I was thinking. I guess they have to have a back up plan even though Jones seems really solid and couldn't hurt to add a big back depending on the number of scholly's available. Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if they took more than just Jeff Jones. Based on the fact they've offered 6 other rbs, including 3 the other day, I think Kill might want more than one in this class. They've only taken one high school rb per year the last 3 years.

RBs are usually among the best athletes on a high school team and they can be moved around to other positions. My guess is a lot of the top-drawer RBs want to go to a place where they will get every shot at that position, but there are probably some fairly highly-recruited kids at the position that know they won't stay there in college. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a couple of RBs in next year's class.

Tweets last night from @Elmore2014:

"The Barn is rocking #HolyMann"

"The question is if the gophers win, do we storm the court? #UpsetAlert #GreatGame"

"Never been in an atmosphere like this #MyGod a guy could get used to this"

"That talk I had with Coach Kill thoo >>>"

Go Gophers!!

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
#Minnesota has offered River Ridge (La.) John Curtis DB @MattrellMcGraw this evening. Same HS as former #Gopher target Duke Riley.

per Sid:

Jotings

• A couple of weeks ago the annual "Best of the Midwest Combine" -- with the top high school football prospects for 2014-15 and even 2016 -- was held in Indianapolis. Cretin-Derham Hall's Jashon Cornell participated and was rated third among a top group in the 2015 class. The 6-3, 230-pound sophomore has been offered a scholarship by the Gophers.

• The Gophers continue to recruit in Alabama. Highly rated linebacker Nick Holman of Madison, Ala., recently made a visit to campus and was impressed. And because he has relatives here whom he stayed with during his visit, the Gophers have a good chance to land him.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/193719691.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
#Minnesota has extended another offer this evening, this time to Lee's Summit (Mo.) LB @JimmieSwain this evening.

Lucas Trickle ‏@LucasTrickleGI
Minnesota picked up another PWO for 2013 tonight.

@cantb3stopped: Minnesota just offered #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

QB-Clayton Thorson and Dimonic McKinzy
RB-Jeff Jones, Donte Thomas-Williams, Dravon Henry, Treyvon Paulk, Mikel Horton, Vayante Copeland, Dallas Rivers, Chris James, Shai McKenzie
WR-Braxton Berrios, Trevion Thompson, Dorian Baker, Garrett Gray
TE-Brandon Fritts, Gaelin Elmore, Ethan Wolf, Ian Bunting
G-George Panos
OT-Frank Ragnow, Eric Shute, Phil Ford, Kavaris Harkless
C-Connor Mayes, J.C. Hassenauer
DE-Myles Garrett, Joe Henderson, Billy Hirschfield, Andrew Stelter
DT-Travonte Valentine, Daniel Cage, Steven Richardson
ILB-Tyrell Tomlin
OLB-Vincent Jackson, Rashaan Evans, Colton Moskal, Jimmy Swain
CB-Step Durham, Kamren Lott, Ken Hike, Craig James
S-Quentin Tartabull, Mattrell McGraw
ATH-Kevin Crosby, Dareian Watkins

Looks like Kill is being a lot more aggressive with early offers this year.

They seem to be offering a lot of RB's.

The Gophers offered a big time WR from Texas tonight, Byron Daniels, per his tweet:

@4justscored: Just picked up an offer from #Minnesota #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@BWISnyder
Mt. Lebanon WR Troy Apke was offered by #Minnesota tonight. #PennState offered this past weekend. @RyanBurnsGI

The staff is hitting Southwestern PA this cycle.

@allentrieu: Chanhassen (Minn.) 2014 OT Frank Ragnow offered by #FloridaState - his second offer:

Go Gophers!!

Great to see a Minnesota kid pick up other BCS offers. Should improve his star ranking, which will be better for the Gophers when he commits to Minnesota.

per Doogie:

"Smith's top assistant, Ron Jirsa, was expected to see DeLaSalle junior Reid Travis on Thursday night. Of the entire Gophers' staff, Jirsa has the best relationship with Travis, another player Smith wants badly. Iowa State and Vanderbilt are expected to make football scholarship offers to Travis in the coming weeks. He's a standout quarterback."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._Kahn_coming_in_April_Wolves_owner_says030813

Go Gophers!!

per Doogie:

"Future Gophers running back Jeff Jones, a junior at Minneapolis Washburn: "I would love to play basketball in college, but it'd be hard to balance the academics part of that. ... I don't think Tubby (Smith) knows about my basketball skills, but he'll find out soon. ... I love (basketball) as much as football." Jones' basketball season ended when his team lost to Richfield in a section playoff game on Tuesday."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._Kahn_coming_in_April_Wolves_owner_says030813

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom