Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Outside of ragnow, any other MN kids we may possibly look to offer more than just a PWO that are left? otherwise if we landed frank and kept jones, that'd be a pretty solid job of shutting down the borders by us this year. having j.c. head to bama hurts, but it's going to be pretty rare a kid will turn down an offer of that caliber. any word on how solid he is on his commitment? just seeing there are some pretty highly touted kids on the line heading there as well even though i know there's next to no chance he'd flip to us, it's just fun to discuss

FWIW...

I sat by some East Ridge kids during one of the games (one of them was about to take an official visit to Pepperdine for basketball) and asked them how solid he was on 'bama and if there was a chance he'd flip. They kind of chuckled and said he was solid and there was no way he'd flip.

Outside of ragnow, any other MN kids we may possibly look to offer more than just a PWO that are left? otherwise if we landed frank and kept jones, that'd be a pretty solid job of shutting down the borders by us this year. having j.c. head to bama hurts, but it's going to be pretty rare a kid will turn down an offer of that caliber. any word on how solid he is on his commitment? just seeing there are some pretty highly touted kids on the line heading there as well even though i know there's next to no chance he'd flip to us, it's just fun to discuss

I'm not saying that we have anywhere near the OL depth as a Alabama, but this staff has built up our OL to a point where there are some pretty talented/highly touted kids here. My point is that I don't think JC will look at Bama's roster and look at ours and think, I should go to MN because I will already be at the top of the depth chart.

Now again, I'm not saying that our depth or talent is anywhere near the depth and talent of Alabama, I'm just saying our offensive line is no longer to a point where a guy like JC could look at it and say, "I have a good chance of getting PT and starting from Day 1". If a 4 star caliber type of WR was to look at our roster, now he might accurately think he could start on day 1.

This is meant as no disrespect to JC, but we have Connor Mayes, who wants to be here. Why would they even be interested at this point in JC?

This is meant as no disrespect to JC, but we have Connor Mayes, who wants to be here. Why would they even be interested at this point in JC?[/QUOTE

Very talented in state kid. Can never have too many good O-line prospects.

This is meant as no disrespect to JC, but we have Connor Mayes, who wants to be here. Why would they even be interested at this point in JC?[/QUOTE

Very talented in state kid. Can never have too many good O-line prospects.

We have one OL commit so far. We need a minimum of 3-4 OL recruits every class to remain competitive 4 years down the road. We are way behind on OL recruits for this year. Connor does not make a successful class alone. If we could flip JC, I would be happier up to the point that we would still be short.

We have one OL commit so far. We need a minimum of 3-4 OL recruits every class to remain competitive 4 years down the road. We are way behind on OL recruits for this year. Connor does not make a successful class alone. If we could flip JC, I would be happier up to the point that we would still be short.
4 is too high if you're considering that most offensive lineman redshirt. You simply can't carry 20 offensive lineman on scholarship. That's almost 25% of your scholarships dedicated to one position.

We currently have 16 offensive lineman on scholarship. That itself is a little high because we've rewarded a few walk-ons. Given that only Eddie Olson is graduating with a scholarship, it's not surprising we're only looking to take 2 offensive lineman this year.

The classes are unbalanced because we have so many upcoming senior and junior offensive lineman but for now it is what it is.

Anyone else not want JC? Mayes has shown to be a really good kid with some high caliber. All of the times I've seem JC play he's just been a big thug out on the field. Many personal fouls and even an ejection if I am remembering correctly. Not to say that he can't grow up, but Kill seems to prefer guys with more character than that.

Anyone else not want JC? Mayes has shown to be a really good kid with some high caliber. All of the times I've seem JC play he's just been a big thug out on the field. Many personal fouls and even an ejection if I am remembering correctly. Not to say that he can't grow up, but Kill seems to prefer guys with more character than that.

I've never seen JC play, so I'm not aware of any character flaws, but this isn't an either/or thing with him and Mayes like some seem to think. JC could play center and Mayes could play guard. It'd be incredible to have both. Not expecting him to flip unless Saban actually leaves for Texas though.

4 is too high if you're considering that most offensive lineman redshirt. You simply can't carry 20 offensive lineman on scholarship. That's almost 25% of your scholarships dedicated to one position.

We currently have 16 offensive lineman on scholarship. That itself is a little high because we've rewarded a few walk-ons. Given that only Eddie Olson is graduating with a scholarship, it's not surprising we're only looking to take 2 offensive lineman this year.

The classes are unbalanced because we have so many upcoming senior and junior offensive lineman but for now it is what it is.

Also, you usually can get more out of O-lineman walk-ons compared to other positions. We've seen that first hand the past few years. If you can get one or two preferred walk-ons each year, there's a good chance you'll get contributions from some of them.

I really don't think it's a Mayes or JC thing. I'd guess Mayes ends up at G regardless of whether or not we recruit another C. Either way, JC is a heck of an offensive lineman, he's elite and he's local. If JC had any interest in flipping, we would take him without a doubt.

As far as him being a thug, I don't know. I've only seen him play a couple of times and I never saw that in him. I saw a nasty OL that loves punishing people, but he wasn't out there giving cheap shots or anything. I also liked the fire I saw in Epping in the bowl game last year. It isn't a routine with Epping to get personal fouls, but he was sticking up for his teammates. I think the occasional penalty like that can be a good thing. So I don't mind that kind of OL. As far as the game he got kicked out, I have no idea. Maybe he had a bad moment, I've never thought of JC as a low character guy.

He's commited to Alabama, so when he gets kicked out of games he's a thug. If he were commited to the U and got kicked out of games they would say he's "fiery".

The kid is obviously a stud and the U would take him in a heartbeat. I hope he flips. He probably won't, but i'd love to see him in maroon and gold.

I was pretty excited about the Isaac Hayes signing. Is he still at center or is he at guard? For as much JC would have been a great pick up I think everyone is focusing too much at this years recruiting class and not looking at the underclassmen that we still have developing.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but did you see Zac Epping in the bowl game last year?

I'm just guessing, but I don't think Kill would have a problem with an enforcer or two on the line.

I was pretty excited about the Isaac Hayes signing. Is he still at center or is he at guard? For as much JC would have been a great pick up I think everyone is focusing too much at this years recruiting class and not looking at the underclassmen that we still have developing.
I don't think Hayes has ever been at center, but I could be wrong.

per Shama:

Jeff Jones, the Washburn four-star running back per Rivals.com, will make his official visit to the University of Minnesota Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Jones, who has verbally committed to the Gophers, will be picked up on campus Sunday morning by Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins and the two will attend the Mr. Football Banquet later that day.

Jenkins has accepted an invitation to play in the prestigious January 2 Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando. Jenkins is going to encourage Jones to finish all his official visits to schools before January 2 and he might announce his college choice at the Under Armour game.

Jones is one of 10 finalists for the Mr. Football award. The 2013 winner will be announced on Sunday, December 8 at the DoubleTree Hotel in St. Louis Park. Tickets are $15 and can be ordered on the MFCA website (click on MFCA ad on this page). The banquet begins at noon.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Jeff Jones, the Washburn four-star running back per Rivals.com, will make his official visit to the University of Minnesota Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Jones, who has verbally committed to the Gophers, will be picked up on campus Sunday morning by Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins and the two will attend the Mr. Football Banquet later that day.

Jenkins has accepted an invitation to play in the prestigious January 2 Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando. Jenkins is going to encourage Jones to finish all his official visits to schools before January 2 and he might announce his college choice at the Under Armour game.

Jones is one of 10 finalists for the Mr. Football award. The 2013 winner will be announced on Sunday, December 8 at the DoubleTree Hotel in St. Louis Park. Tickets are $15 and can be ordered on the MFCA website (click on MFCA ad on this page). The banquet begins at noon.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Are we recruiting him?

I don't think Hayes has ever been at center, but I could be wrong.

When I was at one of the open practices I saw him taking some snaps off to the side after practice, FWIW.

In case anyone is curious where our coaches are going and doesn't follow on 247:

Coach Poore
-Everett Williams, LB (current commit)- Texas

Coach Miller
-Dimonic McKinzey, QB (current commit)- Kansas
-Cody Poock, LB (Minnesota, TCU)- Iowa

Coach Claeys
-Jeff Jones, RB (current soft)- Minnesota
-Andrew Stelter, DE/DT (current commit)- Minnesota

Coach Reeves
-Brandon Lingen, TE (current commit)- Minnesota
-Gaelin Elmore, TE/DE (current commit)- Wisconsin

Coach Phelps
-Steven Richardson, DT (current commit)- Illinois

Coach Limegrover
-Frank Ragnow, OT (Minnesota, Florida State, Arkansas)- Minnesota
-Conner Mayes, C/G (current commit)- Texas

Coach Zebrowski
-Tegray Scales, OLB (Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois)- Ohio
-Torrodd Carter, WR (no Minnesota offer, Kentucky and MAC schools)- Ohio

Coach Sawvel
-Craig James, CB (Indiana, Kansas, Iowa)- Illinois
-Khari Blasingame, S (Northwestern)- Alabama
-Patrick Porter, CB (Washington State, Miami?)-Alabama

Coach Anderson
-Rodney Smith, RB (East Carolina, Southern Miss)- Georgia
-Melvin Holland, WR (no current Minnesota offer, considering Navy, Old Dominion,and Toledo)- Virginia

Coach Kill is also in on a lot of these visits.

In case anyone is curious where are coaches are going and doesn't follow on 247:

[B]Coach Claeys
-Jeff Jones, RB (current soft)- Minnesota[/B]

Remember when some thought that Coach Claeys wouldn't even know the names of the offensive players, much less recruits on that side of the ball.

A few notes from that list:

-8 out of the 10 current commits received a visit this weekend. The only ones that didn't are Jerry Gibson (recent commit) and Julien Kafo (recent commit and lives in Montreal). Nice to see them continuing to recruit the guys they've got.

-Of the guys that aren't commits we're focusing on two linebackers, two wide receivers, three defensive backs, a runningback, and Ragnow. This is nice to see, as the speed positions need the most attention and depth at the moment, particularly the defensive backfield.

-If by the grace of God we got those nine non-committed players to commit (and Jones to stay) that would give us a class of 19, which I think is where we'll end up.

-Interesting guys to not get a visit:
- Christian Russell (who reportedly is leaning towards UCF)
- J'Vonte Herrod (who has a bunch of Appalachian State predictions popping up, indicating something)
- Deron Thompson (don't think I would read anything into this, but interesting they are going right through Kansas and apparently not stopping)
- James Folston (reportedly leaning towards Pitt. I think he's more of a backup plan anyway)
- Demetrius Hill, Gregory Howell, Rashad Canty (Canty received a visit in November. I think the former two are out of the picture)

Remember when some thought that Coach Claeys wouldn't even know the names of the offensive players, much less recruits on that side of the ball.
Coach Claeys obviously isn't a big recruiting guy, which is why I imagine he was given the local guys assignment. That said, Jones is our most important recruit, so it shows a certain degree of faith in Claeys' abilities.

Alabama has 18 on its roster with 2 seniors. They have 6 committed recruits across the offensive line of scrimmage. You were saying...

Interesting, thanks for the summary Gopherprof. By seeing this you kind of get a feel for what the coaching staff might want the class to look like. I'm surprised we're backing away from Herrod a little, or at least that's what it seems like.

Top Bottom