OFFICIAL 2014 National Signing Day Thread - LOI Updates, Tweets, Links and More

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Signees Lingen, Carpenter, Jones and Mayes together at the social! Ski-U-Mah! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BrickByBrick&src=hash">#BrickByBrick</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="http://t.co/qIacFVGr1X">pic.twitter.com/qIacFVGr1X</a></p>— GopherGridiron (@GopherGridiron) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherGridiron/statuses/431229583791099904">February 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have a little different take that you guys. Judd grew up in Minnetonka and worked at the Strib for 22 years. This isn't about being lazy, it's about not following or being interested in Gopher sports. I'm sure he knew how highly ranked Jones was buy probably assumed Barber was that highly ranked. The casual fans don't realize Barber was a late offer.

If a guy like Zulgad, who grew up here and had enough interest in sports to make a career of it, thinks of the Gophers as an afterthought, what about the rest of the casual fans.

To many people anything other than pro sports is unimportant.

Absolutely spot on. One of the most rational and correct posts I've read here in awhile. This is exactly the midset. It's not ignorance. It's apathy.

So wasn't Ryan Burns' mentioning something about 1 maybe 2 surprises on signing day? I wonder what that was about? Some are saying that the James commit was one of them but I think it would have been a surprise if he had committed elsewhere.

Absolutely spot on. One of the most rational and correct posts I've read here in awhile. This is exactly the midset. It's not ignorance. It's apathy.

Um ... no it's not. If Zulgad is going to run off the mouth about the Gophers, being apathetic and lazy excuses him from making dipsh*t comments? Not exactly my definition of a rational post.

Hartman: Gophers' Kill fought hard to land top recruits

As for the players the Gophers signed on national signing day Wednesday, Kill said his recruiting plan was to go after specific needs. “Early, our first two years, we concentrated really on defense,” Kill said. “You have to be good on defense to have a chance to win in the Big Ten.

“We’ve gotten better on defense, we’ve focused a little more on offense. We knew we had to get explosive players, and we’ve done a good job of recruiting receivers and running backs, cold-weather skill players, and strengthened our offensive line. We feel very, very good about the class, it’s very athletic, it’s got a lot of length in it, it’s got a lot of explosive players in it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/243857071.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Reusse: Wayzata tight end has size and talent U was looking for

Brandon was enjoying the benefits of his extra work and his growth spurt as a junior and then suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He missed most of the season.

“The Gophers said they would have to watch me for a few games as a senior before making a decision,” Brandon said.

There were some other programs — North Dakota State, Rutgers, Air Force Academy, Florida Atlantic — that were getting more antsy about Lingen’s decision. He went to the Iowa game, watched the Gophers take a whipping and visited the recruiting room. Brandon again was told that the Gophers weren’t ready to make a decision.

To his surprise, the Gophers called two nights later to offer a scholarship that was promptly accepted.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/243876311.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Here's how the Gophers' class breaks down by recruiting services:
Rivals- Scout- 247-
1: OSU 1: OSU 1: OSU
2: MSU 2: MSU 2: MICH
3: PSU 3: PSU 3: PSU
4: MICH 4: MICH 4: MSU
5: NEB 5: UW 5: UW
6: UW 6: NEB 6: NEB
7: IU 7: IOWA 7: MARY
8: MINN 8: IU 8: NWU
9: MARY 9: MINN 9: IU
10: RU 10: RU 10: IOWA
11: IOWA 11: NWU 11: MINN
12: NWU 12: MARY 12: RU
13: ILL 13: PU 13: ILL
14: PU 14: ILL 14: PU

ESPN ranks us the 12th best class. They are the only site to give us a 3.0 star avg rating (2-4s, 16-3s, 2-2s).

Here's how the Gophers' class breaks down by recruiting services:
Rivals- Scout- 247-
1: OSU 1: OSU 1: OSU
2: MSU 2: MSU 2: MICH
3: PSU 3: PSU 3: PSU
4: MICH 4: MICH 4: MSU
5: NEB 5: UW 5: UW
6: UW 6: NEB 6: NEB
7: IU 7: IOWA 7: MARY
8: MINN 8: IU 8: NWU
9: MARY 9: MINN 9: IU
10: RU 10: RU 10: IOWA
11: IOWA 11: NWU 11: MINN
12: NWU 12: MARY 12: RU
13: ILL 13: PU 13: ILL
14: PU 14: ILL 14: PU

ESPN ranks us the 12th best class. They are the only site to give us a 3.0 star avg rating (2-4s, 16-3s, 2-2s).

Progress!

Progress indeed!
Do any of the other numbers above stand out to you guys? To me, I'm really surprised that PSU can continue to bring in good recruiting classes. I don't get the appeal at all.

Progress indeed!
Do any of the other numbers above stand out to you guys? To me, I'm really surprised that PSU can continue to bring in good recruiting classes. I don't get the appeal at all.

Are you kidding? It's a program where football is so important that they'll let a known pedophile roam campus for years so long as no one outside of Happy Valley knows he's a pedophile, for if known, it would be detrimental to the football program. That's how important football is there - football IS the culture.

Progress indeed!

The game is an event; it's the only show in town. The tailgating RV's cannot start to line-up before a certain time Thursday evening for a Saturday game. It is a football area...obviously, we know that after how things unfolded there.

It is also a fairly scenic part of the country. Now, as for job opps...it's not any different than most of the B1G...middle of nowhere and pretty rural.

Are you kidding? It's a program where football is so important that they'll let a known pedophile roam campus for years so long as no one outside of Happy Valley knows he's a pedophile, for if known, it would be detrimental to the football program. That's how important football is there - football IS the culture.

Summed up nicely.

Progress indeed!

To expand, Penn State has all the recruiting advantages the Gopher program is seeking. There is an abundance of recruits in an area that has great support for Penn State football. Lastly, I think recruits don't see the Sandusky scandal as a football program problem.

Top Bottom