Official 2013 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

So it appears (inferring from what is written) Brian Bobek's heart was affected by a virus. It sounded like mono in previous releases, but I don't think anything was previously specifically said about his heart. Usually, you cannot recover 100% from these sort of things. Wish him the best.

We sure haven't had much luck with high rated recruits who transferred from top program, huh?

1500: 'U' RB Rodrick Williams can run, but blocking skills still developing

"At this time last year I wasn't real comfortable at all," Williams said. "I wasn't too sure on pass protections or stuff like that. Now, (the coaches) have been on me, basically forcing me to study ... I feel a lot more comfortable now. I've haven't messed up too much in practice."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...un_but_blocking_skills_still_developing080913

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Three-way battle underway for U kicking jobs

“I spent all summer training and working hard and just want to make the most of the opportunity,” Hawthorne said. “If Coach [Jerry Kill] has it in the plans for me to start or even come in as a backup, I’ll do my best. I just want to see this team succeed.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/218942231.html

Go Gophers!!

1500: Gophers fall camp Day 7: Defense impresses with dominance on goal-line

Notes from Day 7 of Minnesota Gophers fall camp

• In the spring, whenever the Gophers went into goal-line drills, it was a pretty good bet the offense would come away with the upper hand. It was impressive at the time, given the offense's struggles in short yardage situations throughout the 2012 season.

However, the defense reversed the offense's trend in practice Thursday. Coach Jerry Kill came away shaking his head and laughing slightly after the defense dominated on the goal-line.

"Today they didn't get hardly anything," Kill said. "The defense ate them alive. It goes back and forth."

The change in advantage was a pleasing sight for Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys, and it also gave credit to the building continuity and strength on the "U" D-line.

"We did those goal-line (drills) four days in the spring," Claeys said. "We got kicked every day. We were running (after practice) every day. We might have won two series the whole spring. It was kind of like a game (today). We got that rush and we won the first one or two series, and then it just kind of flooded. I was excited to see it."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...e_impresses_with_dominance_on_goal_line080913

Go Gophers!!

Edwards is being targeted to join the rotation at running back right away. The bulk of his reps have been coming with the second team offense, with him likely positioned as the Gophers' No. 4 option behind Kirkwood, sophomore Rodrick Williams Jr. and junior David Cobb.
If Edwards is legitimately behind Cobb in terms of carries, I very much hope they don't burn his redshirt for that. Cobb had all of one carry last year, and even if that increases, you really don't need four runningbacks unless there is a serious injury issue.

If Edwards is legitimately behind Cobb in terms of carries, I very much hope they don't burn his redshirt for that. Cobb had all of one carry last year, and even if that increases, you really don't need four runningbacks unless there is a serious injury issue.

Limegrover typically runs several backs when he has the option. He seems to use different styles to execute certain plays.
Here's his rushing stats from 2010, when NIU had it rolling.
Rushing Statistics
NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD
Chad Spann 258 1388 5.4 79 22
Chandler Harnish 137 836 6.1 69 7
Jasmin Hopkins 38 366 9.6 74 2
Jordan Lynch 31 362 11.7 90 3
Cameron Bell 39 228 5.8 30 0
Ricky Crider 37 225 6.1 30 2
DeMarcus Grady 16 145 9.1 61 3
Akeem Daniels 10 87 8.7 50 3
Nathan Palmer 3 23 7.7 23 0
Mathew Sims 1 6 6.0 6 0
Landon Cox 1 4 4.0 4 0
Totals 581 3645 6.3 90 42

If you consider Kirkwood the starter, then Williams is his backup/running mate.
They'd be the Chad Spann yards/carries. Bell was their fullback, which we don't seem to run.
Cobb could play a change of pace type, as he is a flashier runner than those 2.
He'd be our Jasmin Hopkins potentially.
The QBs can mix in, and Edwards might be used as a situational/spread type back that also gets a handful of touches in normal formations.
Crider and Akeem Daniels were smaller speedier/quicker backs if I recall.
Any way you cut it up, if they put up 2/3 of these numbers we're rolling.

Limegrover typically runs several backs when he has the option. He seems to use different styles to execute certain plays.
Rushing Statistics
NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD
Mathew Sims 1 6 6.0 6 0
Landon Cox 1 4 4.0 4 0

They'd be the Chad Spann yards/carries. Bell was their fullback, which we don't seem to run.
The QBs can mix in, and Edwards might be used as a situational/spread type back that also gets a handful of touches in normal formations.
Good information, thanks.

If Edwards gets 37 carries (Crider) or about 3 carries a game, I'd say it's worth it.

If he gets 10 (Daniels), I'd say it's not.

From what we've seen from Kill at Minnesota, the 4th rb had 4 carries in 2012 and 8 carries in 2013. It'll be interesting to see if that's the norm going forward, or if that's a product of a lack of depth.

Rushing Statistics
NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD
Mathew Sims 1 6 6.0 6 0
Landon Cox 1 4 4.0 4 0

Great post and glimpse as to where Kill and company want to be with the offense. I remember when he first arrived here he started talking about how he wanted wear teams down so that at the beginning of the fourth quarter his team would be strongest team on the field. He said that's when you win the game.

He has always said that to accomplish this you need to substitute often. That's one of the reasons why depth is so important to him and why he has been burning red shirts. You may not agree with his philosophy but this is where all this is going.

Great post and glimpse as to where Kill and company want to be with the offense. I remember when he first arrived here he started talking about how he wanted wear teams down so that at the beginning of the fourth his team would be strongest team on the field. He said that's when you win the game.

He has always said that to accomplish this you need to substitute often. That's one of the reasons why depth is so important to him and why he has been burning red shirts. You may not agree with his philosophy but this is where all this is going.
Agreed.

In researching Kill, you see a pattern of "beg, borrow, and steal" when it comes to talented players.
He's willing to do whatever it takes to get his best talent on the field as long as it pays of in victories.

I think we're going to see alot of freshmen play again. JMO.
With the LB, WR, and QB depth especially. Those positions will need to be deep and strong going into the next few years. Kill is going to want options there, especially LB IMO where we lose 2 known quantities in Hill and Manuel again next year, and have had attrition for various reasons in Edwards getting kicked out, and Westerhaus with his medical stuff.

I think we're going to see alot of freshmen play again. JMO.QUOTE]

If you look at the scholarship grid, we will have 10 redshirt freshman on the team this year. http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

Given that we would never want a recruiting class to be this small, it's pretty much a given that 5-7 freshman will play, if for no other reason than to balance out the classes. Edwards, Wolitarsky, Santoso, Ekpe, and one of the LB's are pretty much a given to see the field. Either Jones or Streveler will also probably see some action. Given that a few walk-ons will get scholarships down the road, it might be just those 5-6 that end up playing. I'd be very surprised if Eric Carter plays, since it would mean in 4 years he would be a senior along with Wolitarsky and Harbison. That would be too many WR's to lose in 1 year. I'd also be surprised if either Myrick or McGhee see the field, since they were the only two DB signees, we have a lot of depth, and we will desperately need them 2-3 years from now.

I think we're going to see alot of freshmen play again. JMO.QUOTE]

If you look at the scholarship grid, we will have 10 redshirt freshman on the team this year. http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

Given that we would never want a recruiting class to be this small, it's pretty much a given that 5-7 freshman will play, if for no other reason than to balance out the classes. Edwards, Wolitarsky, Santoso, Ekpe, and one of the LB's are pretty much a given to see the field. Either Jones or Streveler will also probably see some action. Given that a few walk-ons will get scholarships down the road, it might be just those 5-6 that end up playing. I'd be very surprised if Eric Carter plays, since it would mean in 4 years he would be a senior along with Wolitarsky and Harbison. That would be too many WR's to lose in 1 year. I'd also be surprised if either Myrick or McGhee see the field, since they were the only two DB signees, we have a lot of depth, and we will desperately need them 2-3 years from now.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. I'm hoping both QB's, Carter, Wozniak, Mayes, Salzwedel, Peppers, Myrick, McGhee, and two of the LB's all redshirt.

From fall camp practices to date, it is unlikely Carter or Woli RS, both have been very impressive and getting reps

GophersInIowa;7That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. I'm hoping both QB's said:
I think it all plays itself out. As much as Kill wants to balance out the classes, he will still play the players who give them the best chance to win. Plus with injuries and transfers, you can't assume in 4 years that all the Freshman who might play this year will all be Seniors at the same time.

per Shama:

Gophers Kill Allows Players Twitter But…

No coach wants to find out a player is making headlines like Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel. The Heisman Trophy winning quarterback has drawn the wrong kind of attention during the 2013 offseason with his Twitter account and with allegations he received cash for signing autographs.

Gophers coach Jerry Kill, whose team started summer practices last week, is doing all he can not to have similar problems. “We educate our kids during two-a-day (training) camp,” he told Sports Headliners. “We bring in people from Facebook (and) social networking. We have what I call a player personnel book that we go over all those things.

“We’re teaching those things all the time so that we don’t get caught up in something like Johnny Manziel. But even if you teach it, sometimes things happen. I know (A&M) coach (Kevin) Sumlin is a good football coach and good man.

“We live in a different world. It’s just that sometimes kids get caught up in things they don’t understand.”

The power of Twitter was evident last fall when Gophers wide receiver A.J. Barker tweeted he was quitting the team and referred followers to Tumblr where he let loose with an emotional criticism of Kill. The episode was there for the world to see and despite the incident Kill won’t try to tell his players they can’t tweet, although Boise State coach Chris Petersen (and perhaps at least a few other coaches) has banned Twitter accounts.

“I am not a big Twitter guy because I guess I am older and whatever, but I am a reality person,” Kill said. “Reality is it’s a part of our world. It’s a part of their (the players) world. Whether you say you’re not going to allow it or not, they’re going to do it.

“We don’t want any football information (leaked)—those kind of things going out on it. But we monitor Twitter, we monitor Facebook, and if there is anything on there that is not good, that’s not gonna be good for them (the players).”

Kill doesn’t ban Twitter even during the 12-game regular season which this year begins at home on August 29. “I don’t care what Boise State or anybody says, they’re (the players) going to use Twitter,” Kill said. “It’s like telling everybody they can’t drink a beer. You can’t (completely) control that. …

“We educate them on (using) Facebook that you never get those statements back. That’s a lifetime on there, so you better understand what you’re doing and how you do it.”

Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson, a sophomore like Manziel, gave up his Twitter account. “Once I got here and realized some of the things that happened, I deleted it right away,” Nelson said. “It’s not even worth it because it’s all about football here. You just gotta watch yourself. We’re held to a different standard as football players.”

Gophers senior safety Brock Vereen has a friend at Boise State so he is familiar with Twitter policy there. “I am not sure how many issues we’ve had with Twitter, but at the end of the day guys here have to be adult about it,” Vereen said. “They have to be mature about it. Think before you tweet. That’s what coach Kill always tells us.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: Sophomore defensive end Thieren Cockran grows into his 6-foot-6 frame

“It’s very relaxing because most of the time, they’re going to try to double Ra’Shede,” Cockran said. “So it’s going to help me out with one-on-one’s. I have a better chance of beating my guy one-on-one. I’m very confident about (having an advantage). But it’s about the whole defensive line. It’s not just about me.”

Cockran needs to make a huge jump if he wants to improve on last season’s six total tackles and one sack in 13 games. But there’s also some depth behind him at defensive end with junior Ben Perry, sophomore Alex Keith and freshman Hendrick Ekpe, whom Kill said was “raw” but keeps getting “better and better.”

“I feel like everybody’s learning from Ra’Shede,” Cockran said. “He’s a great leader. He’s a senior, so we look up to him. We take from his aggression. We watch him on film and we learn from him, too.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2013/08/09/gophers-football-cockran-on/

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Cameron Botticelli: Expect pleasant surprises this fall from Gophers DL

"Ra'Shede's worked really hard. He deserves any hype that he does get," said junior defensive lineman Cameron Botticelli. "But I do think that this D-line is packed with other talented players who have been working just as hard as Ra'Shede in the offseason. I'd expect a couple pleasant surprises come the fall."

"He worked with me a lot last year," Cockran said of Wilhite. "He showed me a lot of things sitting behind him. Going back this year and watching more film, I feel it's prepared me more. The way he was so good, it made me a better player."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ect-pleasant-surpr?blockID=927863&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Gophers football scrimmage at TCF Bank Stadium elevates emotions

“Every time you’re in the stadium, you’ve always got high emotions because it’s TCF,” defensive end Michael Amaefula said. “In a couple weeks, we’re going to be back there [for UNLV], so it’s not just another day.”

Defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman said tensions have been running high between the offensive and defensive lines, “so we’re ready to get after each other right now.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/219075661.html

Go Gophers!!

1500: Gophers fall camp Day 8: 'U' gearing up for first scrimmage of camp

Current projected depth chart at cornerback

1. Derrick Wells -- junior, 6-foot, 206-pound
2. Eric Murray -- sophomore, 6-0, 194
3. Briean Boddy -- junior, 5-11, 186
4. Martez Shabazz - senior, 5-11, 172
5. Jeremy Baltazar -- senior, 6-foot, 197

Nickel corner: Derrick Wells

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._gearing_up_for_first_scrimmage_of_camp080913

Go Gophers!!

1500: Gophers fall camp Day 9: Philip Nelson solid, composed in scrimmage

Notes from Day 9 of fall camp

• Mentions of freshman running back Berkley Edwards' head-turning speed have been frequent in the first week of camp. Edwards put that speed on display Saturday.

Taking reps with the third team offense, Edwards took his first carry of the afternoon and tore through the middle of the defense, barely touched, for a 70-yard touchdown run.

"I went crazy. I love seeing those young guys do that kind of stuff," 19-year-old K.J. Maye said.

• Senior left tackle Ed Olson was not at the scrimmage after waking up with the flu. Redshirt freshman receiver Jamel Harbison was held out as a precaution due to tightness in one of his hamstrings.

Kill and the coaching staff have been markedly cautious in monitoring injured players. Cornerback Derrick Wells (shoulder) and safety Brock Vereen (knee), both of whom were limited at times earlier in the week, did not play. Freshman linebacker De'Niro Laster, who injured his knee on Thursday, spent the afternoon on the sidelines as well.

• With Wells out, junior cornerback Briean Boddy took his first team reps opposite sophomore Eric Murray. In nickel packages, Murray played down in the Nickel, where Wells will likely be situated, while senior Martez Shabazz came in to play field corner with Boddy.

• Defensive end Theiren Cockran had a pair of would-be sacks on Nelson, showing his speed in chasing the sophomore quarterback out to the right on a play action run.

• For the first time in camp in a full team drill, freshman quarterback Donovahn Jones was shifted out wide as a receiver. Jones has crafty speed and he was able to unleash it take a straight route down the left sideline, despite not being able to complete the catch. Jones still took snaps at quarterback, used largely as a running option. On one of Jones' few throws, freshman linebacker Chris Wipson stepped in and made an easy interception.

• The use of Maye on the first team was intriguing. Maye was very active in the passing game, being used often in motion and in the slot. He also has a notable level of chemistry with Nelson. After switching full time from running back to receiver in the offseason, Maye is starting to thrive in the stability of his role.

"We're just focusing this year on getting me in a steady position and to be a playmaker to the team," Maye said.

• Under a sunny blue sky at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers had a sizeable crowd turn out for their first and only scrimmage opened to the public this fall.

• The Gophers are off on Sunday, but the coaches are expected to meet and start making a few roster decisions as far as firming up their best first and second team options.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ilip_Nelson_solid_composed_in_scrimmage081013

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: Philip Nelson taking hold of starting QB job

"I thought Philip got off to a great start, he certainly did, and was sharp," Gophers coach Jerry Kill said. "Then, there's some learning things in two minutes that we talked about on the field. (Backup quarterback) Mitch (Leidner) did some good things, struggled at a couple things."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Words from Kill

Want one reason why Jerry Kill is optimistic about building a winning Gophers football team?

“A thing that makes a big difference over time is the continuity of our staff. It’s hard for kids to have different coaches every year,” Kill said. “With the different terms and techniques, they don’t know what’s expected of them.

“We’ve been very fortunate to keep this staff together. Five of my coaches have been offered jobs over the last two years, but every one of them has decided to stay here at Minnesota.”

On why getting to a bowl last year was important, Kill said: “It’s hard to tell how much difference [playing against Texas Tech in the Meineke Car Care Bowl] makes, but we got at least one kid because of it in this year’s recruiting class. DeVondre Campbell was all set to go to Tennessee. When that didn’t work out he had a strong interest from both Texas and Kansas State, but we were able to get to him.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/219137101.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>There was no practice today, so the team went to <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveandBusters">@DaveandBusters</a> to enjoy some team bonding. <a href="http://t.co/K4W4Q5TjkY">pic.twitter.com/K4W4Q5TjkY</a></p>— Gopher Football (@GopherFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/statuses/366727992887635968">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Gophers have talented, but largely green group at quarterback

"We're really lucky here, with kids at quarterback, that are terrific athletes," he said as the last of about 350 fans filed out of TCF Bank Stadium following the open-to-the-public, 1 ½-hour practice session. "And they're quarterbacks, too, but they're terrific athletes. (Philip Nelson) is a really good athlete, and Mitch (Leidner) is a big athlete, and then you get Chris (Streveler) and Donovahn (Jones) who can handle a lot, so it's nice to have those kind of opportunities to do some different things with those kids."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...but-largely-green-?blockID=928287&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: Quarterbacks show different strengths in last open scrimmage

“Coach and I talk about a kid Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois,” Zebrowski said. “He can run. And everything kind of takes care of itself. You kind of simplify some things. We didn’t today. We just said go figure out some of those things, which is good. He had to go through some mistakes. He throws an interception and figured it out. But he’s fluid and a gifted athlete. He’s a tough kid.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...rbacks-show-different-strengths-in-scrimmage/

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I enjoyed my day to relax now it's back to the grind 7 am sharp....kirkwood got his groove back&#55357;&#56495;&#55357;&#56911;&#55357;&#56846;&#55356;&#57288;</p>— Donnell Kirkwood™ (@TonkaToy_20) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonkaToy_20/statuses/366753791187484674">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom