Official 2012 Gopher Spring Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

From what little you witnessed of Shortell last year and Nelson in High School you're already saying Shortell will make the offense more dynamic than Nelson? C'mon!

Let's not forget that Shortell was a heck of a high school quarterback too. But It isn't what you did in high school that makes you a good college player.

Shortell is the QB that could make this offense very dynamic in the future. He is a pocket passer that is quick enough to play in a run-oriented offense. I thin this could make the passing game especially deadly to compliment the running game.

Not to make fun of Shortell, but I don't put his name and quick in the same sentence lol. The problem I see is that he isn't quick enough to play our style of quarterback. It's kind of like the Tebow factor, if Shortell comes in at backup you have to change your offense. Maybe that's not a bad thing though, to be determined.

I think Shortell may not be quick, but he's not afraid to run, which is a good thing. His arm strength creates different offensive opportunities that you don't have with Gray and Foreman, who are more "run-first".

Not to make fun of Shortell, but I don't put his name and quick in the same sentence lol. The problem I see is that he isn't quick enough to play our style of quarterback. It's kind of like the Tebow factor, if Shortell comes in at backup you have to change your offense. Maybe that's not a bad thing though, to be determined.

I hear what you're saying, but that is every QB on our roster. Essentially, I believe that Shortell will be running the same offense. He isn't the runner that Gray is, but either is Nelson. Because every player is different, I offense will be tweeked a bit when it comes to any QB besides Gray.

That said, I don't think Shortell will avoid running.

I think its future depth suicide to play either Nelson or Leidner this year. Barring a disaster, neither sees action this season, let alone Shortell. If Gray stays healthy, he sees 95% of the snaps...except for the blow-out wins;)

It's very possible we have to play one of them though. Gray does a lot of running and gets hit a lot - plus he suffered from cramps on a few occasions last year. If that happens this year then we put in Shortell. What if he gets shaken up on a hit? Do we put in Foreman? Nelson or Leidner? I'm not too familiar with Foreman, but I just kept hearing that he is likely to be a wildcat type QB. Would he run the full offense though? If not then it is very possible one of them will see some snaps.

It's very possible we have to play one of them though. Gray does a lot of running and gets hit a lot - plus he suffered from cramps on a few occasions last year.
Only the first 2 games. Could suggest a trend in hotter weather or could have been a limited issue that was resolved after back to back weeks.

It's very possible we have to play one of them though. Gray does a lot of running and gets hit a lot - plus he suffered from cramps on a few occasions last year. If that happens this year then we put in Shortell. What if he gets shaken up on a hit? Do we put in Foreman? Nelson or Leidner? I'm not too familiar with Foreman, but I just kept hearing that he is likely to be a wildcat type QB. Would he run the full offense though? If not then it is very possible one of them will see some snaps.

If he's on the roster as a QB, he will be running the full offense. Otherwise, Kill would not keep him at QB. If we've learned anything in the last year, it's that you better be playing at 100%, or you aren't playing.

I just can't see the two Freshman playing unless we lose Gray and Shortell. Otherwise, we are risking too much for 2013...

If he's on the roster as a QB, he will be running the full offense. Otherwise, Kill would not keep him at QB. If we've learned anything in the last year, it's that you better be playing at 100%, or you aren't playing.

I just can't see the two Freshman playing unless we lose Gray and Shortell. Otherwise, we are risking too much for 2013...

I would be surprised if you don't see a bit of Foreman as well in thay hybrid-wildcat role Kill used at Northern Illinois.

If this staff uses either FR QB this season I would consider it a wasted year. You have a senior QB. Give the young guys a full season where no matter what (unless we see all the other QBs hurt, then of course it changes) they get to hold the clipboard, learn the offense, learn to read defenses, build teammates' confidence in them, etc. Even if one of them is the next big thing, why not give them a full year to get their feet wet to the college lifestyle and the program and enable them both to have 4 full years to duke it out for the starter's job. As good as both of them were in HS, I just can't see any justification to throw them to the wolves, especially with the inexperience for a lot of our guys on offense.

If Leidner stays at QB, then I wouldn't have a problem with one of them getting snaps this year if needed. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but there really isn't a need to have two QBs in the same class. As long as we can redshirt at least one of them we'll have the flexibility to not have to take a QB in the 2013 class unless we can land a stud. Again, the conventional wisdom has had Nelson winning the QB battle and Leidner changing positions, but it may not end up this way. If Gray struggles early in the year or gets hurt and one of these guys beats out Shortell, they'll get a chance.

Hey, I think I saw a Wren sighting on that link! LOL
Lol yup
There may have been some hard hits out there today, but, the offense has GOT to star taking care of the ball. I don't see how Coach Kill can play anyone who doesn't take care of the ball. Execution...execution...and MORE execution. These guys have to start stepping their execution of the offense up... ; 0 )

Best comment from the article:

"Believe me, I've coached 30 years, and every year I hear somebody go, ‘I don't think that kid ever will play for us,' and two years later, that kid's starting," Kill said. "You never say somebody is not going to play, because you don't know. Coach them all."

Probably my favorite spring article yet. And the Alipate one prior to this was awesome too.

Agreed, it sure gets me pumped for the season.

Changing topics, who's the D-lineman that was a Marine scout sniper? Any chance that he sees decent time this season? Any sightings of him at camp?

Changing topics, who's the D-lineman that was a Marine scout sniper? Any chance that he sees decent time this season? Any sightings of him at camp?
Delaney I think is his last name. Having a guy like that on a young team must be really nice for a coach.

Curran Delaney #89 - listed as 6-1 300 pounds in the roster, so probably a Tackle. and I'm also curious about his chances.

who is going to watch this saturday's (3/31) practice at tcf stadium? starts at NOON

will be a beautiful day tomorrow. lots of sunshine and football. hope to see you there. GO GOPHERS!

Top Bottom