Official 2012 Gopher Spring Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

I love the move of Mike Rallis to MLB.

I agree. Having a smart, tough kid in the middle is vital. Look back to last season and how far Tinsley came from the beginning of the season to the end. His play made a huge difference at the end of the year. If you have a kid who can take on the Iso, see the Trap, and avoid over-pursuing on the zone, it makes things so much easier on everyone else. The speed and added size are bonuses. MLB is not a place where you want to have question marks.

Just my opinion, but i don't like it at all. I just don't think Rallis plays physical enough.

That being said, I wasn't happy with him on the outside either, so maybe this will be better.

Just my opinion, but i don't like it at all. I just don't think Rallis plays physical enough.

That being said, I wasn't happy with him on the outside either, so maybe this will be better.

I actually do completely understand your concerns. I think against teams like Wisconsin, he might get eaten up a little bit because he does have a tendency to run around blocks. For me, I always thought that a lot of those problems were a result of playing in space as an OLB. I think having to take on OL/FB's in space is a different monster than taking them on in the trenches. I guess my hope for calling for his move to MLB (and for supporting the eventual move) is that I think playing in less space will hide some of his athletic deficiencies and highlight his ability to make quick decisions.

But you're right, there is definitely some concern about his ability to hold up to the physicality of playing inside.

On a side note, I much prefer Edwards/Hill/Reeves - - Rallis - - Cooper than Rallis - Matilus/Grant - Cooper

On a side note, I much prefer Edwards/Hill/Reeves - - Rallis - - Cooper than Rallis - Matilus/Grant - Cooper

Spot on Bob. This is why a lot of these changes are taking place, similar to Vereen and Wells to Safety. It's because the staff has identified who the best players are, and are making moves in the spring to get them used to new positions so we have the best players on the field this fall. I don't think we could win 6-7 games this year if Matilus/Grant are the MLBs and Vereen/Wells were still at CB. We would be way too thin up the middle of the defense at DT, MLB, and safety.

Forgot to mention earlier that I did see Rucker and RJ3 at practice today as well.

Didn't stalk them, or even watch to see what they were doing. Just noticed the name tags.

Thanks. It's a great article.

The defensive line is an interesting group of guys. I think a lot of us are anxious to see what Hageman can do. I really think he is going to be a high draft pick (2nd roundish). When he fires out low and has the right technique, he cannot be blocked. He even flashed dominance (in small doses) in the WI game against an incredible C (Konz) and a pair of really good guards. The strides he has made since his FR year have led me to believe that Hageman must work hard and if he continues to improve along that same trajectory, he will be good in 2012, and dominant in 2013. He really is THAT athletic.

The other guys are interesting. I'm excited to see who steps up this season. If I had to bet, it would be Botticelli and Jacques, but i'd expect to see 6-7 DTs get snaps.

Thanks, Bob. Agreed on Hageman's potential.

I've no idea of his talent, but I find former Marine sniper Curran Delaney very interesting.

Thanks, Bob. Agreed on Hageman's potential.

I've no idea of his talent, but I find former Marine sniper Curran Delaney very interesting.
If he's unable to make an impact by playing, we should give him a slingshot and let him pester the other team with that.

For some reason I thought Hageman was going to be a SR. I bet he is dominant by the time his last year comes around.

I think we will really have some heated QB competition next year. People seem to forget about Leidner because of Nelson, but many people are pretty high on him as well. Competition is a great thing.

Also very interested in watching Cobb and Gillum. Hopefully one of them (or even both) really take off and have a big year. If we have some real threats at RB, that's got to open it up even more for Gray.

I think we will really have some heated QB competition next year. People seem to forget about Leidner because of Nelson, but many people are pretty high on him as well. Competition is a great thing.
And everyone is forgetting about Shortell.

Who's that?

He is a really big QB. He could be moved to tight end.:)

P.S. I am sure the coaches are glad to have him since he has some experience and seems to better understand the mental/learing aspect of the game after last year. If he isn't able to step up we may have to burn one of freshman QB's redshirts.

He is a really big QB. He could be moved to tight end.:)

P.S. I am sure the coaches are glad to have him since he has some experience and seems to better understand the mental/learing aspect of the game after last year. If he isn't able to step up we may have to burn one of freshman QB's redshirts.
Why should he have to step-up? As long as the freshman QB or Foreman don't pass him up he is number 2.

Yahoo: Minnesota Gophers Look Comfortable This Spring Under Kill: A Fan’s Take

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-11155988

Go Gophers!!

Article written by Philip Nelson?

It is almost entirely about him, and its report of his performance in practice ("a potential star"...Gray is comfortable, but "it is Nelson who is pushing him,") is much more positive than I've heard elsewhere.

Article written by Philip Nelson?

It is almost entirely about him, and its report of his performance in practice ("a potential star"...Gray is comfortable, but "it is Nelson who is pushing him,") is much more positive than I've heard elsewhere.
Agreed. That article seemed contrary to some of the things written by the local media. I think this fan went in with a specific intent so he got a very limitted experience of the practice, only noticing Gray and Nelson because that is all he looked at. Honestly, while Nelson is good, I thin Shortell is the QB that could make this offense very dynamic in the future. He is a pocket passer that is quick enough to play in a run-oriented offense. I thin this could make the passing game especially deadly to compliment the running game.

Why should he have to step-up? As long as the freshman QB or Foreman don't pass him up he is number 2.

All I was trying to say is that Shortell is probably all that is protecting us from having to burn one of our two freshman QB's red shirts. Somebody had asked earlier in jest, who Shortell and I was trying to point out how important his role is both for this year and its impact on future years.

Finally, as to your question should he have to step up? Of course he should, just like every other player. That is what Kill has been preaching to them since he got here.

I think its future depth suicide to play either Nelson or Leidner this year. Barring a disaster, neither sees action this season, let alone Shortell. If Gray stays healthy, he sees 95% of the snaps...except for the blow-out wins;)

From GopherSports:

The Golden Gophers have a very diverse group at the Tight End/H-Back position this season.

Within the eight guys playing those two positions, there are solid pass-catchers, bigger block-first types and a guy or two are a real hybrid of the aforementioned attributes. That diversity makes it a good situation for their position coach Rob Reeves.

“You always try to recruit both,” Reeves said. “You want to have the best of both worlds. Then you start sorting it out as it goes.”

The lone senior in the group is John Rabe, who transferred to the Minnesota program from Ellsworth Community College in Iowa. Rabe caught four passes last season, but two of them went for touchdowns. With seniors Eric Lair and Collin McGarry graduating, Rabe will be expected to provide leadership and production at the position.

Reeves said Rabe is definitely one who fits into the hybrid mold. He’s physical and has good size. But he also has the athleticism to get open and catch the football. Sophomore Drew Goodger saw action as a true freshman last season, making two receptions. He’s got size and isn’t afraid to mix it up along the line of scrimmage, but has great hands as well. They are the only Gophers at the TE/HB spot who caught passes in game action last season.

“Rabe … can run and get open and make plays,” Reeves said. “That’s kind of the mold you’re looking for. Goodger … has a lot of physical pop to him. He wants to bang inside and be physical. At the same time … he has great hands and he’s learning to be a better receiver as a tight end.”

Meanwhile, two Gophers who are relatively new to the tight end position are also getting a good number of reps and a good amount of interest from fans and media during spring ball. Both bring great size, strength and athleticism to the position. Converted quarterback Moses Alipate is listed at 6-5, 280 pounds and former defensive end Kendall Gregory-McGhee is 6-5, 260. It will be interesting to see how they develop into the position.

“I’m extremely excited about how they’ve done early,” Reeves said. “They have a long ways to go. But with where they’re at, Kendall and Moses have both done a nice job of picking things up. They’re doing a good job. They’re way ahead of where I thought they would be at this point.”

zambam said:
Agreed. That article seemed contrary to some of the things written by the local media. I think this fan went in with a specific intent so he got a very limitted experience of the practice, only noticing Gray and Nelson because that is all he looked at. Honestly, while Nelson is good, I thin Shortell is the QB that could make this offense very dynamic in the future. He is a pocket passer that is quick enough to play in a run-oriented offense. I thin this could make the passing game especially deadly to compliment the running game.

From what little you witnessed of Shortell last year and Nelson in High School you're already saying Shortell will make the offense more dynamic than Nelson? C'mon!

I think Nelson will be a very good QB, but for this year Shortell knows the offense and has the best armn on the team. I like Nelson and Leidner, and I hope they both Rs this season.

Top Bottom