Official 2012 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

I believe it was MV over at FBT that said he thought Nelson was having trouble getting as much push as usual due to the hamstring problem.

True Freshman, 9 practices, bad hammy, going at maybe 75%, don't lose hope just yet.

I haven't been able to make it to any of the practices yet but I saw that article saying Leidner has looked better than Nelson. Has anyone else been to practice and noticed this too? Is Nelson not the QB for the future liked we had hoped??

PiPress: Gophers football surprise: LB Keanon Cooper isn't a definite starter

"He's an explosive athlete," Rallis said of Manuel. "He makes a lot of big plays for us. He's picking it up really quick. He's definitely going to be part of the rotation this fall. They're both doing a good job. They're competing. I think they will both help us on defense and special teams."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ise-lb-keanon-cooper-isnt-definite?source=pkg

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football surprise: LB Keanon Cooper isn't a definite starter

"He's an explosive athlete," Rallis said of Manuel. "He makes a lot of big plays for us. He's picking it up really quick. He's definitely going to be part of the rotation this fall. They're both doing a good job. They're competing. I think they will both help us on defense and special teams."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ise-lb-keanon-cooper-isnt-definite?source=pkg

Go Gophers!!

"The best linebacker Friday might have been junior Brendan Beal, who is back from a second season-ending knee injury. The University of Florida transfer made several jarring tackles in the scrimmage, which included body slamming running back Devon Wright for a loss of yardage."

"The best linebacker Friday might have been junior Brendan Beal, who is back from a second season-ending knee injury. The University of Florida transfer made several jarring tackles in the scrimmage, which included body slamming running back Devon Wright for a loss of yardage."

This is great to hear! Can't wait to see him in action vs UNLV and the rest of the season.

Amazing what they can do now with those knee surgeries.
GM

His biggest obstacle is Rallis's percieved experience. Mike has made himself into a linebacker, he is dedicated and probably viewed as a defensive captain. He certainly is quoted about other defensive players. Strange Rallis comments on Manuel's play and throws Cooper under the bus, while Beal has what is reported to be the best scrimage and Rallis is not quoted. He can hear the footsteps and now the pop. Beal is a force in the middle, Rallis plays the middle.

His biggest obstacle is Rallis's percieved experience. Mike has made himself into a linebacker, he is dedicated and probably viewed as a defensive captain. He certainly is quoted about other defensive players. Strange Rallis comments on Manuel's play and throws Cooper under the bus, while Beal has what is reported to be the best scrimage and Rallis is not quoted. He can hear the footsteps and now the pop. Beal is a force in the middle, Rallis plays the middle.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rallis used more on passing plays and Beal more on running plays this fall.

never in a million years would guessed that Beal is healthy after 2 ACL knee surgeries on the same knee. Who was his surgeon - I know it wasn't Doc Smith. Anyway - amazing what a top notch surgeon and repair can do these days - no brace - WTF.

If Beall is truly healthy and is exhibiting great play, heart, enthusiam, and leadership, Claeys will need to find a way to get him on the field. Is Rallis a true MLB - no - but with Beal in question, had no choice. Claeys will need to get both of theses guys on the field together.

This great news - been pulling for Beal and was looking forward to seeing him play. If he can get back to 80% of what is was early in his college career, he will be a major force in the middle. Stay healthy Beal and you will be truly fun to watch a 6'3" 250lb+ animal in the middle.

We have options - 3-4 with Beal off the edge like Tinsley last year. After week 1 - feeling great about our LB's. Get that DL to do their job.

WTF? FYI, Rallis was asked a specific question about Manuel, not the LB's in general. Fuller is notorious for running commentary versus reporting.

We're three weeks from the opener and one week into practice, and the starters are set? Ludicrous.

If Beal didn't get hurt last year...he would be #1 MLB taking over for Tinsley. Hellava #2 MLB - if healthy, Beal would start at MLB for any Big 10 team...smart, mature, big, fast, & nasty...my #1 guy on D I'm pulling for is now Beal - he is earning his spot.

Totally agree about starters being set after 1 week of camp - completely ludicrous. Get the bext players on the field. We can't afford to have ta;ent on the bench that should be on the field...competition is what it is all about.

WTF? FYI, Rallis was asked a specific question about Manuel, not the LB's in general. Fuller is notorious for running commentary versus reporting.

We're three weeks from the opener and one week into practice, and the starters are set? Ludicrous.

This "linebacker controversy" is the 2012 version of Fuller's fake quarterback controversy last year.

I'm pulling for Beal too. How many years left does Beal have to play? Is it just this year? Or is it 2?

He has this year and next so 2 years.

Oh. That's good to know. I always assumed he was done after this season, because of his transfer year.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

2008 - Redshirt
2009 - medical waiver after knee injury
2010 - RFr during transfer year
2011 - Soph
2012 - Jr
2013 - Sr

If Beal proves to be the best MLB and can stay healthy, wouldn't it make sense for Rallis to move back to the outside?

If Beal proves to be the best MLB and can stay healthy, wouldn't it make sense for Rallis to move back to the outside?

Certainly. Beal at the Mike, Rallis at the SAM, and Cooper or Manuel at the Will. I am not the coach, but you want your absolute strength in the middle of the field. It starts at DT and we have a potential monster in Hageman. And from what I have read Vareen has transformed his body at safety. Ask yourself who would you want in the middle against Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State?

Top Bottom