Official 2012 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

I haven't had a chance to get to a practice, but I've heard a lot of good things that I wasn't hearing last year. That's encouoraging. The team improved a lot during last season, and I expected the improvement to carry over, but there's always a degree of uncertainty.

Reusse tweet: "Hard to fathom DB Martez Shabazz is w/ Gophers. JUCO transfer couldn't get into Baylor. Potted plants can get into Baylor as athletes."

Go Gophers!!

Reusse tweet: "Hard to fathom DB Martez Shabazz is w/ Gophers. JUCO transfer couldn't get into Baylor. Potted plants can get into Baylor as athletes."

Go Gophers!!

As usual, he's wrong again. Shabazz was admitted to Baylor, but he needed to take an additional class since one didn't transfer from his JC.

Go Gophers!!
This just shows how out of touch Fat Pat is! Shabazz was accepted at Baylor, subject to retaking a class in a mini session, at his own expense. With the tuition costs at Baylor the kid couldn't afford it.

@GopherInWI (via Twitter) writes: There have been some encouraging reports of WRs for the Gophers, how vital is their improvement to MarQueis Gray's success?

Brian Bennett: It's incredibly vital, because although Gray did play receiver two years ago, he probably won't succeed throwing it to himself. Having more weapons around him means Gray won't have to run the ball every down and risk getting injured. Jerry Kill seems to be high on Devin Crawford-Tufts in particular, and Isaac Fruechte seems to be coming around. Minnesota needs a couple more receivers to step up this month.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/55132/big-ten-thursday-mailbag-48

Go Gophers!!

Getting word from friends that Kare 11 televised the boys singing this morning. #GopherPride

Cool. You are spot on....many of us here sang along with your boys. We love the U men of Gold.

Ski-U-Mah!!

Freshman Mitch Leidner impresses MarQueis Gray in first week of camp

"In the film room when coach is asking about protections and what routes guys are doing, he's one of those guys that answers right away and he says it with confidence too," starting quarterback MarQueis Gray said. "That shows right there that he's done a lot of offseason work to get better this year."

"Now he's in practice working with the three groups and he's getting every single rep, so he's just getting better."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ses_MarQueis_Gray_in_first_week_of_camp080912

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: James Gillum aims to be U's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006

"He's very mentally and physically tough," Gophers coach Jerry Kill said of his No. 1 tailback in fall camp. "He played down there at Mississippi Gulf Coast (Community College), which has been loaded at tailback every year. It's a physical league, and he brings a physical ability to your program."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21277147/gophers-football-james-gillum-aims-be-us-first

Go Gophers!!

Marcus blog: Gophers football: Kill says MarQueis Gray has looked “very sharp” in camp

“I think he’s been very sharp,” Minnesota coach Jerry Kill said. “I think we’re catching the ball better. But he’s been on target most of the time. The defense has made some good plays. He’s had a couple of throws that have been overthrown. But for the most part, he’s giving kids a chance to get the ball.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-marqueis-gray-has-looked-very-sharp-in-camp/

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been able to make it to any of the practices yet but I saw that article saying Leidner has looked better than Nelson. Has anyone else been to practice and noticed this too? Is Nelson not the QB for the future liked we had hoped??

I haven't been able to make it to any of the practices yet but I saw that article saying Leidner has looked better than Nelson. Has anyone else been to practice and noticed this too? Is Nelson not the QB for the future liked we had hoped??

I just went to my first practice yesterday. This is my very armature take but one of the main things I noticed was how well Leidner played. He's a big kid, moves well, and has nice touch on his pass.

I was late so I didn't get to see much of Nelson, I saw him on maybe a handful of snaps. The thing I noticed about him is that he is very quick and has some nice moves. I don't think I saw him pass while I was there.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Nelson is a typical freshman. Tough to make the call of whether or not he's the QB of the future after only a few practices, and I'm guessing a redshirt year would help quite a bit.

Nelson is a bit behind because he tweeked his hamstring.

I am far from a quarterback expert but Leidner impressed me more than Nelson. Other than his pick for a TD, that is.

To be fair most of the articles on both of them were during the no pad/half pad practices. And if I remember correctly, Leidner competed in national tournaments doing this type of thing. He is a natural passer, and him being ahead of Nelson at this point is no surprise. Nelson was recruited for his playing style and good overall measurements where Leidner was recruited for his arm and ability to find the open guy.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

They'll both redshirt. The fact that either of them can look good at this stage is a bonus.

Agreed, unless, god forbid, we have Gray and Shortell both go down.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I think some of this might be Nelson being pushed for really the first time. Mankato West conference is not very good, and Nelson kind of breezed through his schedule. Leidner played in a really tough conference and maybe that's paying off. I don't know.

I saw them both play in HS last year, and I thought Nelson looked like the better of the two QBs. However, make no mistake, Leidner is a big kid with a cannon. A lot of development can happen from being a HS SR to a collegiate QB and it sounds like Leidner has studied a bunch and made the transition a bit easier.

IMO, there are so few positions on the Gophers starting roster where we have a clear, without a doubt #1 that I won't be surprised about just about any depth chart we see.

What the hell is a Playstation Phone?

That's probably posted automatically by the phone.

A playstation phone is one that is compatible with the Playstation Mobile Software that allows people buy games and content from the Playstation store. I think the new Playstation Vita has it and some Android Phones.

Agreed, unless, god forbid, we have Gray and Shortell both go down.

I still don't know if you burn a redshirt at that point. Probably depends on what is at stake at that point in the season.

Top Bottom