Official 2012 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

If Beal proves to be the best MLB and can stay healthy, wouldn't it make sense for Rallis to move back to the outside?

He has no track record of staying healthy. Clayes likes to rotate LBs to a fault. We need two, three healthy LBs that can play. I see Beal, Rallis, and Grant in a rotation at MLB.

Did Matilus play MLB at all in the scrimmage? I didn't notice him on the field at all during the portion I was there. I expected him to put himself in position to see some field time this year.

Did Matilus play MLB at all in the scrimmage? I didn't notice him on the field at all during the portion I was there. I expected him to put himself in position to see some field time this year.

Good question. I was particularly interested in watching Beal and noticed there was another guy out there that I didn't know. It could have been Matilus or Manual. It probably wasn't Manual though since he is competing with Keenan Cooper for an OLB position. Sorry about not getting his number but they played a LOT of people at that scrimmage.

2008 - Redshirt
2009 - medical waiver after knee injury
2010 - RFr during transfer year
2011 - Soph
2012 - Jr
2013 - Sr

How often are seventh years granted? Was he ever actually granted a sixth year? It would kind of seem that he could get another year because injury is what kept him off the field in 2011, but simply being in college for seven years seems a little ridiculous.

Cayman said:
How often are seventh years granted? Was he ever actually granted a sixth year? It would kind of seem that he could get another year because injury is what kept him off the field in 2011, but simply being in college for seven years seems a little ridiculous.

NCAA does not award 7th years, 6 is the max and while there seem to be more of late, they are still rare.

Matilus is a RFr, right? Who are the other RFr or So LB's on the team? Just trying to think who the next set of LB's will be over the next few years...

If Beal proves to be the best MLB and can stay healthy, wouldn't it make sense for Rallis to move back to the outside?

I doubt it. Rallis has bulked up to 245# and is now has a MLB frame. Cooper, Edwards, Manuel & Reeves should be OK on the edge.

From DL65 and Coach Kill

Linebackers: Lamonte Edwards and Brendan Beal "stood out." So out of the first scrimage, I still like Beal in the middle, and now Edwards makes a move on the outside. Reeves seems solid is Cooper the one sliding? Two days ago it was how well Manuel was doing, and Cooper was not set. The added factor Beal has beyond talent, determination, size, and speed is a dose of nasty. He is the protype Big 10 Linebacker. He is one linebacker we have that if he hits you, you go backward and down.

From DL65 and Coach Kill

Linebackers: Lamonte Edwards and Brendan Beal "stood out." So out of the first scrimage, I still like Beal in the middle, and now Edwards makes a move on the outside. Reeves seems solid is Cooper the one sliding? Two days ago it was how well Manuel was doing, and Cooper was not set. The added factor Beal has beyond talent, determination, size, and speed is a dose of nasty. He is the protype Big 10 Linebacker. He is one linebacker we have that if he hits you, you go backward and down.

When Kill first got here he said he wanted to run with nine LBs. My guess is that they all play -- a lot.

Matilus is a RFr, right? Who are the other RFr or So LB's on the team? Just trying to think who the next set of LB's will be over the next few years...

Edwards (So), Westerhaus (rFr), and Matilus (rFr) are the scholarship players. Dominic Schultz is a rFr walk-on who I've heard some good things about. Lynn and N. Rallis are true freshmen. Since this is one position where we seem to be heavy with upperclassmen, my guess is its a recruiting priority this year

I doubt it. Rallis has bulked up to 245# and is now has a MLB frame. Cooper, Edwards, Manuel & Reeves should be OK on the edge.

Yeah, Rallis stays in the middle and they substitute.

Beal hasn't played much football for the past 4 years and he has injury issues. I think we'll see a ton of LBs play this year.

Sid: Marcus Jones healthy

One of the big-time players on the Gophers football squad is sophomore wide receiver Marcus Jones, who started the first seven games of his freshman season in 2011, but a knee injury kept him off the field the rest of the year.

In those seven games, Jones showed himself to be a tremendous all-around asset to the offense and special teams. He grabbed nine receptions for 142 yards and had 370 kick return yards, including a 92-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Purdue on Oct. 8.

Gophers coach Jerry Kill is high on Jones, who did well in Friday's scrimmage.

"Marcus has done a good job at receiver, punt returner, kick returner," Kill said. "He studies and works hard. I'd take 100 of them like him. He's consistent and you know what you're getting with Marcus."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/165933256.html

Go Gophers!!

BTN Tour Mailbag: Gophers & Much More

I’m a Minnesota fan who has lived in Iowa for over 40 years. I have seen how coaches like Hayden Fry (Iowa), Bill Snyder (Kansas State) and Barry Alvarez (Wisconsin) built programs and think it can happen for the Gophers, too. I think Minnesota can win all of its non-conference games and at least three Big Ten games. Do you see any way the Gophers can win seven or more games this season? – Kirk Tofte

I came away very impressed with Minnesota after watching practice Saturday. The Gophers have a nice collection of skill talent on offense, with wideouts like Brandon Green, Devin Crawford-Tufts and Marcus Jones along with some nice looking youngsters like Andre McDonald and Jamel Harbison. Plus, there are two good tight ends. The running backs go four deep with the likes of Donnell Kirkwood, James Gillum, Devon Wright and David Cobb. And freshman KJ Maye is a wildcard who could play running back or receiver. And quarterback MarQueis Gray looks primed for a big senior season behind a line with potential.

[Watch the Minnesota Preview Show on BTN2Go]

The big key to Minnesota breaking through to a bowl will be the defense. There is lots of good young talent, but the line can’t get run over in the ground game. That will be a huge key. Ra’Shede Hageman could be one of the top tackles in the Big Ten. There is lots of veteran talent at linebacker, and the secondary teems with options. You are correct about the non-league schedule: Minnesota could go 4-0. The key Big Ten games will be visits from Northwestern and Purdue. Then, going to a bowl may come to down to road games at Iowa and at Illinois. Seven wins is possible—but it won’t be easy.

It was nice to read a non-locally written story that was positive about Minnesota. Where would you pick them in the Legends this season? – David Anderson

For as much as I like the direction of the Gopher program under Jerry Kill, there still is work to do. And it will be tough sledding in a Legends Division that is loaded. Without a doubt, Michigan State, Michigan and Nebraska look to finish ahead of Minnesota. But, if the Gopher offense is as good as I think it can be—and the defense can become average—Minnesota could finish fourth with as many as seven wins. That is my best-case scenario.

http://btn.com/2012/08/12/btn-tour-mailbag-gophers-much-more/

Go Gophers!!

B1G position rankings: Secondary (units)

"10. Minnesota: This is a bit of a projection pick, but I like Minnesota's potential to take a step forward in the secondary this fall. The biggest reason for optimism is cornerback Troy Stoudermire, who returns for a fifth year after missing most of last season with a foot injury. Stoudermire was on track for a big year before the injury. Cornerback Michael Carter had a strong spring and could finally reach his potential. The bigger concerns here come at the safety spots."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/55133/b1g-position-rankings-secondary-units

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone have any idea what is keeping McDonald out of practice? I keep hearing mentions of him not being on the field, but can find no source of the injury. Thanks in advance...

Does anyone have any idea what is keeping McDonald out of practice? I keep hearing mentions of him not being on the field, but can find no source of the injury. Thanks in advance...

High Ankle Sprain according to Marcus Fuller.

Phil Miller blog: Losing Gjere hurts, but Gophers were prepared

"I don't mean this in a bad way, but there's no one who's indispensable in this group," Limegrover said of his depth last March. "It wouldn't be like, 'Oh my God, this guy got hurt.' We've got a lot of guys coming along really well."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/166062266.html

Go Gophers!!

Phil Miller blog: Losing Gjere hurts, but Gophers were prepared

"I don't mean this in a bad way, but there's no one who's indispensable in this group," Limegrover said of his depth last March. "It wouldn't be like, 'Oh my God, this guy got hurt.' We've got a lot of guys coming along really well."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/166062266.html

Go Gophers!!

In Phil's article he talks about Ferguson being eligible to join the team when school starts to add more depth which confused me. Wouldn't Ferguson be allowed to join the team today considering Gjere is no longer part of the players being allowed to practice?

I guess I am assuming that it is Ferguson who would replace Gjere on that list.

Good question! I wondered who they are going to add to the fall camp roster. It could be Ferguson or it could be somebody else.

I thought I read that a WR from Florida was taking his spot. Forget the name but I am guessing it's a walk on.

Yeah, that's what I read - Gjere's replacement is Sardinha - walk-on freshman WR from FL

Top Bottom