Official 2012 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Sandell: "When Kill was discussing newcomers who have impressed him thus far, he brought up K.J. Maye, DB Eric Murrary and Lincoln Plsek #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Justin Gaard: Practice #4

Senior defensive back Michael Carter continued his strong play, including another interception. Gopher fans have waited a while for some positives from Carter, who was close to the team lead wearing the "Minnesota Loafer" jersey last season.

"I'm proud of him to this point," Kill said, "He's worked hard, had a good summer a much better spring, and continued that on. I certainly hope that he continues to do what he's doing because it makes us a better football team."

http://www.kfan.com/pages/gophers.html?article=10327157

Go Gophers!!

I agree with your point about these smallish/shifty players excelling before it gets too physical, however, I don't know how much he has to learn the RB position any more than most players. With his offense in HS, he ran the ball all the time (like a RB). I don't know how much different getting the ball snapped to you and running out of a single wing (his HS offense) is to being stacked next to a QB and getting the ball handed to you out of the shotgun. I'm not saying he doesn't need to learn the position, but I don't think his learning curve for RB should be much different than a HS RB.

I think where his workload could be difficult is in learning multiple positions. It sounds like they like the idea of him becoming a part time RB, part time slot, and returner. That is quite a bit for a FR to learn. That said, I wouldn't expect to have to wait too long to see him play. It'll either be this year or next.

I think there is a decent chance we see him this year. Our best returners are returning from injuries (Jones and Stoud), we are not deep with playmakers, the RB position isn't exceptionally deep (Kirkwood and Cobb coming off injuries, Gillum is a bit of a question mark, Williams is a FR, Wright had 1 carry). He could provide some nice depth this season and be our kickreturner (I hope he RS, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion).

It is definitely different. As a RB he has to come from a new stance, learn how to block and pass protect and also run routes out of the backfield. Not saying its crazy hard but its certainly an adjustment.

Does the sun ever come out in your world? LOL

Its sunny now. I liked Maye coming out of high school and think he can be a player but not this year. Once the pads come on it kind of evens the field up though. Maye still has a learning curve and after a few practices expectations have already risen for him and I think caution is best

It is definitely different. As a RB he has to come from a new stance, learn how to block and pass protect and also run routes out of the backfield. Not saying its crazy hard but its certainly an adjustment.

He is in the exact same stance as the RBs on his team and as Williams. He would have the same adjustment with his stance as Williams or any RB who plays in a spread or single wing in HS.

As far as blocking and receiving goes, I've always thought that RB receiving was an area that most HS RB's don't do much. Furthermore, Coach Kill almost never throws to his RBs (3 receptions all year last year by RBs, I think it was 9 in 2010 with Northern Illinois). So, I don't think receiving from the RB is a positiont hat Kill and Co are really going to stress. My guess is that if they suddenly switch their philosophy, Maye will be further ahead than most RBs. He already has the most difficult aspect of being able to be a receiver out of the backfield (hands), as evident of them considering playing him at WR.

As far as blocking, well, yeah that'll be an issue. I don't think it'll be much more of an issue with him than it would be of any smaller /scat back type of RBs coming out of HS. Again, I don't think it's a skill that is refined by most HSs. So while he'll probably struggle blocking, I think that'll be more to do with his size and youth, not the position he played in HS.

Pic posted on the Golden Gopher Football Facebook page. It's a profile on Brandon Green, but it's nice to see the other #1 out there running around...Brendan Beal:

486486_485350461478047_1780175365_n.jpg

My practice observations 8/7

I was at practice today and here are some observations. Remember these are worth every cent you paid for them!

In general the entire team looks faster. I’m not sure if that is due to the S&C program, fresh legs or, as my friend pointed out, wishful thinking. I THINK it is true however. I am very skeptical about the ability of S&C programs to make kids faster – stronger yes – faster – not so much. Having said that perhaps in some cases it does work and perhaps this is that place and time. The secondary is definitely faster than last year – no doubt or wishful thinking about that.

The team looks more intense, guys are getting after it.

There are no fat guys on the team. A couple of the freshman looked a little puffy but everyone else is lean.

The QBs were not that impressive. They overthrew a lot of long balls.

The secondary got, I think, 4 picks. The receivers always had someone close to them. We’ll get some picks this year for sure.

Now for some more specific observations. There were multiple moments of “Wow, that guy is fast, who is he?” I noticed Wright, Crawford-tufts, Fruechte, among the skill positions and Perry and Rallis on D. I have never considered Rallis fast but he got a pick today and really motored down the sidelines. S&C program?? Wishful thinking??

I thought all of the running backs looked good. Maybe not best in the B1G but not the worst either. Cobb looked the best to me. Rodney Williams is about as wide as he is tall and if I were a linebacker and saw him coming through a hole in the line at me… I would join the band.

I would had some more observations but my friend, a Gopher Hockey guy, wanted to talk about stuff other than football like the “healthy” young female trainer. I finally had to borrow some training tape and tape him to a tackling dummy!! I’ll try to make the scrimmage on Saturday and share some observations after that. Oh yeah, if my friend hasn't worked himself loose by then I'll cut him free - AFTER the scrimmage.

I was at practice today and here are some observations. Remember these are worth every cent you paid for them!

In general the entire team looks faster. I’m not sure if that is due to the S&C program, fresh legs or, as my friend pointed out, wishful thinking. I THINK it is true however. I am very skeptical about the ability of S&C programs to make kids faster – stronger yes – faster – not so much. Having said that perhaps in some cases it does work and perhaps this is that place and time. The secondary is definitely faster than last year – no doubt or wishful thinking about that.

The team looks more intense, guys are getting after it.

There are no fat guys on the team. A couple of the freshman looked a little puffy but everyone else is lean.

The QBs were not that impressive. They overthrew a lot of long balls.

The secondary got, I think, 4 picks. The receivers always had someone close to them. We’ll get some picks this year for sure.

Now for some more specific observations. There were multiple moments of “Wow, that guy is fast, who is he?” I noticed Wright, Crawford-tufts, Fruechte, among the skill positions and Perry and Rallis on D. I have never considered Rallis fast but he got a pick today and really motored down the sidelines. S&C program?? Wishful thinking??

I thought all of the running backs looked good. Maybe not best in the B1G but not the worst either. Cobb looked the best to me. Rodney Williams is about as wide as he is tall and if I were a linebacker and saw him coming through a hole in the line at me… I would join the band.

I would had some more observations but my friend, a Gopher Hockey guy, wanted to talk about stuff other than football like the “healthy” young female trainer. I finally had to borrow some training tape and tape him to a tackling dummy!! I’ll try to make the scrimmage on Saturday and share some observations after that. Oh yeah, if my friend hasn't worked himself loose by then I'll cut him free - AFTER the scrimmage.

Happy to have the observations. But just for the future, it's Rodrick Williams, not Rodney. Rodney is the basketball player ;)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/165340796.html

Sure seems like the heat and the repetitiveness are starting to wear a little bit on the Gophers, who fortunately (well, except for the heat part) get to put on their full uniforms tomorrow and start hitting for real. It'll come as a relief to linebacker Brendan Beal, I'd bet, who was told in no uncertain terms by Jerry Kill on Tuesday to stop knocking offensive ball-carriers around.

Beal has been one of the best stories of camp, moving extremely well just a year after his second major knee surgery, so his overeagerness probably comes as no surprise. The guy wants to play football.

Great news: 1500 Finally healthy, Gophers linebacker Brendan Beal is 'having fun again'

"I know what Coach Miller and everyone wants out of me," Beal said. "I'm hoping to be that guy. Right now, I'm just showing them that my knee is back to normal. The biggest thing when you're out is getting reps. I feel that it is going well."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...backer_Brendan_Beal_is_having_fun_again080712

Go Gophers!!

Slightly off topic about a linebacker knocking running backs around. It was about 1974 and at the time I managed a restaurant in Burnsville. I hired a busboy during the summer who had moved here from Oklahoma. Over the 2 years he worked for me I got to know him pretty well and he lamented being in Minnesota, thinking his chance to play for Oklahoma was going out the window. He was about 6' 2 and about 220 and played for the Then Burnsville Braves. Scholarship offers arrived, but nothing from Oklahoma. His dad stepped up and encouraged him to walkon at Minnesota. He joined a fraternity and he inivited me down during the season. I asked how it was going, and he said he was holding his own, but the coach had chewed he out. I ask what did you do? They were running a pitch sweep and he closed from the inside out tackled the running back too hard. Coach Stoll screeming that's Marion Barber. The kid in a not too smart move, said I am not his dance partner. He finished the season and graduated without playing beyond his freshman year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/165340796.html

Sure seems like the heat and the repetitiveness are starting to wear a little bit on the Gophers, who fortunately (well, except for the heat part) get to put on their full uniforms tomorrow and start hitting for real. It'll come as a relief to linebacker Brendan Beal, I'd bet, who was told in no uncertain terms by Jerry Kill on Tuesday to stop knocking offensive ball-carriers around.

Beal has been one of the best stories of camp, moving extremely well just a year after his second major knee surgery, so his overeagerness probably comes as no surprise. The guy wants to play football.

Beal has looked good the last few days I've observed. He absolutely laid a lick on Marcus Jones late in the session today. Coach Kill came across the field to give him a stern talking to.

That's great news about Beal, they could really use a big thumper in the middle of the field.

This is an interesting observation:

"Of the Gophers' two freshmen quarterbacks, Mitch Leidner has looked much better in the first four days of camp than his counterpart, Philip Nelson. Leidner has come across as relaxed and composed under center, while Nelson has been easy to rattle. Several passes from Nelson on Tuesday were shaky, including one that Carter picked off during seven-on-sevens."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...backer_Brendan_Beal_is_having_fun_again080712

mkAz said:
This is an interesting observation:

"Of the Gophers' two freshmen quarterbacks, Mitch Leidner has looked much better in the first four days of camp than his counterpart, Philip Nelson. Leidner has come across as relaxed and composed under center, while Nelson has been easy to rattle. Several passes from Nelson on Tuesday were shaky, including one that Carter picked off during seven-on-sevens."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Finally_healthy_Gophers_linebacker_Brendan_Beal_is_having_fun_again080712

So ------ do you redshirt both with Shortell backing up Gray or do you separate them by a year and redshirt one? I bet they redshirt Nelson.

I’ll try to make the scrimmage on Saturday and share some observations after that. Oh yeah, if my friend hasn't worked himself loose by then I'll cut him free - AFTER the scrimmage.

I believe the scrimmage is on Friday, not Saturday.

Great observations for today...from all. Minnesota media and fans. It makes this board the best around.

I bet deep down Kill was p!ssed he could have hurt Marcus....but i bet loved his intensity in the back of his mind.

Can the season start yet!? My chili is hot!

GM

Carter Looks Good

Michael Carter really caught my attention at practice the other day, validating reports that he appears set to breakout this season. He is obviously fluid and athletic, but his awareness stood out to me in drills against the offense. It would be a big break for the program if he blooms late and has a strong senior campaign on the opposite Stoudemire. The cornerback position really has a chance to have a 180 turnaround from last season.

I had the same observation, more of a compliment to Leidner than a criticism of Nelson. Nelson is also practicing hurt. Not a bad deal considering maybe ending the Nelson watch and calls for Kill to insert him, not Shortell, after Gray's first INT. He needs a RS year. But Leidner throws a nice ball and physically doesn't look like a true frosh.

"@NSandell: TE Kendall Gregory-McGhee has been removed from 105-man roster due to a back injury. WR Cameron Wilson has replaced him."

"@GophersNow: #Gophers scrimmaged in full pads for first time in fall camp today. RBs shined, notably Cobb and Gillum converting on 3rd"

Go Gophers!!

"‏@GopherGridiron: RT @chadpearson42 Hearing two #Gopher fans under the age of 5 sing the rouser in front of the team is a great feeling! #GopherCamp12"

Those were my boys !! :clap:

"‏@GopherGridiron: RT @chadpearson42 Hearing two #Gopher fans under the age of 5 sing the rouser in front of the team is a great feeling! #GopherCamp12"

Those were my boys !! :clap:

It's nice to hear that some kids are still being raised right :)

Top Bottom