Not thrilled with Cosgrove

If you cannot be successful at Nebraska with their facilities, support, money, and name when he arrived you aren't going to be successful here, IMHO.

Nebraska has great tradition, but it is also the easiest of the "big name" schools to drive into a ditch due to its lack of recruiting base. Name one "big name" school with less of a natural recruiting base than Nebraska. All the fan support and money in the world can't pick your school up and move it out of Nebraska.

He has great connections in St.Louis and Illinois. He is a very good recruiter.

He had two Badger defenses ranked in the top 10 in the country in 98 and 99. One of the defenses was first or second in the country in scoring defense.

You could do worse.

I realize he was bad at Nebraska, but Withers sucked here and seemed to do pretty decent at UNC (yes yes with more talent). Sometimes it is just the finding the right fit.

You guys act like cosgrove single handedly destroyed Nebraska, you do remember Solich was there before Callahan right?

In Solich's final season at Nebraska, Nebraska's was ranked 11th in total defense and led the national in turnover margin.

The Defensive Coordinator's name was Bo Pelini, ring a bell?

The defense was sh!tty the year before Pelini was hired, he replaced a guy named Craig Bohl, who a lot of people around here wanted for head coach, gag.

Things went downhill on defense after Cosgrove came aboard.

Rumor is he may have connections with Wingo....could be an interesting subplot...

I realize he was bad at Nebraska, but Withers sucked here and seemed to do pretty decent at UNC (yes yes with more talent). Sometimes it is just the finding the right fit.

I guess the question is how many chances do you give a guy who has shown the inability to produce a top flight defense at multiple major programs.

I guess the question is how many chances do you give a guy who has shown the inability to produce a top flight defense at multiple major programs.

he had 2 top 10 defenses at wisconsin someone posted.

I'll go ahead and quote GVBadger again for you "He had two Badger defenses ranked in the top 10 in the country in 98 and 99. One of the defenses was first or second in the country in scoring defense."

I am surprised Brewster would bring someone in that has the chance to have a negative impact on the fan base. You think at where this program is at right now he would try as hard as possible to keep everything moving in a positive fashion. Just from seeing his stats and hearing peoples opinion of him, I hope that this is not true and Brew goes in a different direction.

Keep the karma flowing the right direction.

He has great connections in St.Louis and Illinois. He is a very good recruiter.

He had two Badger defenses ranked in the top 10 in the country in 98 and 99. One of the defenses was first or second in the country in scoring defense.

You could do worse.

GVBadger, I'm assuming you live in Golden Valley and love the Badgers, can you give us any insight on how this guy is regarded in Madison?? I understand he was a complete failure to Nebraskans, but it seems like you like the guy??

An assistant coach, who's never been a head coach, already has a fire.com site? Good PR.

Umm....an assistant coach, who's never been a head coach, already has a fire.com site? Good PR.

If we hire him maybe we can get a good deal on the site and buy it because we will definitely need it.

I am surprised Brewster would bring someone in that has the chance to have a negative impact on the fan base.

I'm with G4L15 - say what you want about Brewster, the one thing I think we can all agree on is he's obsessed with PR, and knows how to do that aspect of his job. Even notice anytime we have bad news, he has some good news banked that he puts out to the media?

It seems like the overwhelming amount of fans would be disappointed (to say the least) at this choice...I just can't see Brewster hiring someone that the fanbase does not want. This is his chance to get a good candidate, that's a crowd pleaser...to distract from the past week or so of Gopher Football...as well as get the program moving forward.

I'm with G4L15 - say what you want about Brewster, the one thing I think we can all agree on is he's obsessed with PR, and knows how to do that aspect of his job. Even notice anytime we have bad news, he has some good news banked that he puts out to the media?

It seems like the overwhelming amount of fans would be disappointed (to say the least) at this choice...I just can't see Brewster hiring someone that the fanbase does not want. This is his chance to get a good candidate, that's a crowd pleaser...to distract from the past week or so of Gopher Football...as well as get the program moving forward.

Are you hearing that this is his pick?

He is pretty feared by the opposition as well. Here is what Missouri had to say after destroying his defense in 2007.

RUSH PARTY OF THREE: On nearly every one of Missouri’s offensive snaps Saturday, Nebraska was content rushing quarterback Chase Daniel with a three-man front. The Huskers consistently dropped eight defenders into coverage, daring Daniel to thread passes between their zones.

Neither end of the strategy worked. Daniel wasn’t sacked on 47 pass attempts and recalled just one time he was hit. He completed 33 of those attempts for 401 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Two days later, Huskers defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove’s strategy still puzzled the Tigers.

"I was a little bit surprised that they went just about the entire game getting pressure on us with a three-man rush," Missouri offensive coordinator Dave Christensen said. "Obviously, it didn’t work very well. I don’t foresee Oklahoma doing that or at least making a living doing that."

Daniel was less subtle in his reaction to Nebraska’s game plan.

"They’re very stubborn," Daniel said. "Cosgrove’s a very stubborn guy. It’s always been that way. … That’s just how he is, that’s how they are. They’re a bunch of confident guys in what they do, and they felt they had the best chance doing that, so they stuck with it."

"You can’t just play one defense the whole entire game," Daniel added. "That’s like high school stuff that I faced in high school, so it’s nothing new for me."

GVBadger, I'm assuming you live in Golden Valley and love the Badgers, can you give us any insight on how this guy is regarded in Madison?? I understand he was a complete failure to Nebraskans, but it seems like you like the guy??

Cosgrove was responsible for bringing in some of the best talent that we had on defense in the 25 years I have followed the Badgers. Jamar Fletcher and Wendell Bryant from St.Louis were the cornerstones of two Rose Bowl defenses. He was one of our better recruiters for some of our best teams.

The best team the Badgers were going to have was in 2000 and was derailed by the shoe circus. It led to a slump for the program and a non bowl season and was tough to recover from. At the same time, Alvarez was resting on his laurels and the defense suffered during the time frame leading to his leaving Wisconsin. Also, he was being judged against two great defenses with multiple big time players and it is not possible at Wisconsin to have a top ten national defense every year. He was also not going to get the HC job so that did not help the situation.

At the end of his tenure, he was criticized for being too passive, playing corners ten yards off the ball, etc. Again, people forgot that when he had the talent to play more aggressively, he did. When he had Fletcher shutting down half the field and Burke getting 20 sacks a year he was a genius. When he had guys that couldn't cover a a wet paper bag, he was an idiot. Same stuff that goes on everywhere.

Most people were happy to see him leave but did not accept that there were other variables as to why the performance had slipped and conveniently forgot how good the defense was on the two Rose Bowl teams that he was DC for.

He is very competent and was regarded as a very good teacher. Coached some very good linebackers at Wisconsin. Most of them not highly recruited.

Obviously the Nebraska deal did not work out, but he has a ton of experience and has coached and recruited some very good players and some great defenses.

Count me amongst the guys not really pleased with the mention of Cosgrove.

I, like several others on this board, watched over his past few jobs as his defenses looked completely lost on multiple occasions.

The last thing we need with a new OC coming in here and trying to improve our talent level from an overall stand point is to have a coach who may or may not coach a defense that is clueless.

But, if he's anything like the other guys we've recently hired at DC, it might not matter as he'll probably leave after next year anyway!!:p

Are you hearing that this is his pick?

No, not at all. This is through no insider information whatsoever. Whenever there's anything that has to do with Brew and his staff I have nothing but my opinions, no inside info.

PR probably isn't as big a concern to Brew as it has been. He knows he needs to produce in the next two hears or all the hype in the world won't make the diff. If Brew thinks Cosgrove is his best chance to get it done, he'll go that way and spin it the best he can. And he can spin.

Hated in Nebraska...

They practically ran him out of town...fans in an uproar against Cosgrove there. I would be very disappointed if he's chosen. Roof was doing a good job for us.

They practically ran him out of town...fans in an uproar against Cosgrove there. I would be very disappointed if he's chosen. Roof was doing a good job for us.

While I do not condone this behavior but it got so bad that the police in Lincoln were called because of the number of death threats he was receiving and it made news when his son was playing in a high school game in lincoln and he was watching him in the stands and the fans started to chant "Fire Cosgrove."

While I do not condone this behavior but it got so bad that the police in Lincoln were called because of the number of death threats he was receiving and it made news when his son was playing in a high school game in lincoln and he was watching him in the stands and the fans started to chant "Fire Cosgrove."

Sounds like every SEC team in the country if they lose 2 in a row.

True, but you don't normally see this type of behavior out of Nebraska fans.

I would say their hatred for Callahan made them more SEC like. He basically spit on all the traditions that had been set by Osborne.

He has very good connections in St.Louis. If he has connections with Wingo, it would not be surprising.

Terrell Fletcher, Jamar Fletcher, Wendell Bryant all recruited out of St.Louis for the Badgers.

Top Bottom