Not thrilled with Cosgrove

SDGopherFan

Reaction score
Looks like he will be the DC. Should be announced soon. I am not a fan, big step back IMO. No link, so don't ask.

Epic. Fail. (On paper).

In my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

If Brewster hires Cosgrove then I am off the Brewster bandwagon.

dammit, where did you see that it has a chance of being announced soon????

If Brewster hires Cosgrove then I am off the Brewster bandwagon.

I will still be behind him...... he just won't get my "give him time, his awesome recruiting will show through soon" backing, he will get my "i like you, but get sh!t done" backing.

Cosgrove's record as DC at Nebraska is pretty much the opposite of what we got when we hired Ted Roof.

I'll be so disappointed in this hire as to move past disappointed into some other emotional sphere. Possibilities include: disbelief, anger, denial and hopelessness.

Over on GI they are saying its 99% sure its going to happen...

He is terrible and he is not a good recruiter at all. He couldn't recruit any talent at all and that was with the prestige of Nebraska which it still had before he and his idiot buddy Bill Callahan got there. As I posted on another thread his defensive rankings speak for themselves and this link doesn't even include the 2007 rankings which were the worst ever.

http://firecosgrove.com/bio.php

Last time I checked, they still have to play the games. Don't jump off the bridge yet.

I don't know much about Cosgrove but it looks like he was at one time considered a great recruiter, so maybe he can be again?

"Cosgrove has recruited many outstanding athletes during his career, and was named to recruiting analyst Tom Lemming’s “other big-time recruiting names,” just outside of the top-10 list. Among the top recruits he brought to UW were offensive tackle Aaron Gibson, a finalist for both the 1998 Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy; defensive back Jamar Fletcher, who won the 2000 Jim Thorpe Award; and defensive tackle Wendell Bryant, a two-time Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year. Gibson, Fletcher and Bryant were all first-round NFL draft picks."

Kevin Cosgrove was so bad that Barry Alvarez didn't even try and entice him to stay at Wisconsin with the promise of naming him head coach when he became A.D. Instead, he would rather bring in Bielema and name him as his successor. And though I am not a Bielema fan his defense with Cosgrove players his first year at Wisconsin as defensive coordinator was a 180 degree improvement over what Cosgrove had done.

Last time I checked, they still have to play the games. Don't jump off the bridge yet.

It'd be one thing if everyone was ready to "jump off the bridge" because this guy was young and inexperienced and we were hoping for a bigger hire. It's another thing to be gravely concerned that this guy was the co-pilot of one of the great program killings of the last 20 years.

Would you be ready to jump off the bridge if your favorite NFL team picked up Rod Marinelli to be its new head coach?

I can only take so many kicks in the crotch until I quit coming back.

Would it be a bad sign if every gopher fan starts getting random sympathy cards from the state of Nebraska?

Time will tell

I guess we're going to have to trust Brewster on this. Maybe there are factors that we don't know about that indicate Cosgrove will be successful here. Brewster will run the program the way he thinks is best and will be judged by the results.

Ugh...I don't like it on paper. I'm hoping I like it after we see the on the field product.

Question though. It looks like he started strong at WI...did their recruiting drop significantly after the '99 season? Also (glass half full time) all of his "poor" ranked D's are significantly better than anything we've had. :rolleyes:

Not saying I don't belive it, but ... if Brewster was going to hire Cosgrove, why didn't he hire him instead of Roof last year?

If GI writes it then it must be true

GopherGuy writes:

Over on GI they are saying its 99% sure its going to happen...

Lane Kiffin to next head coach at Minnesota....

McNeal will committ to Oregon...

Not saying I don't belive it, but ... if Brewster was going to hire Cosgrove, why didn't he hire him instead of Roof last year?

You can't allways get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find....you get what you need!!!

Ugh...I don't like it on paper. I'm hoping I like it after we see the on the field product.

Question though. It looks like he started strong at WI...did their recruiting drop significantly after the '99 season? Also (glass half full time) all of his "poor" ranked D's are significantly better than anything we've had. :rolleyes:

Understanding that Minnesota is in a rebuilding process and needs to improve on talent, you do not want to go with a guy who came to one of the perennial powerhouse programs and destroyed it. Those rankings may be fine for a rebuilding team but not for a program like Nebraska or Wisconsin who had moved past rebuilding at the time those rankings were taken. He was such a great recruiter at Nebraska that they started to walk-ons on defense this year and still had a way better defense than any he ever had.

i think i asked this on another post already, but where was Cosgrove at during the 2008 season??

I guess we're going to have to trust Brewster on this. Maybe there are factors that we don't know about that indicate Cosgrove will be successful here. Brewster will run the program the way he thinks is best and will be judged by the results.

If you cannot be successful at Nebraska with their facilities, support, money, and name when he arrived you aren't going to be successful here, IMHO.

You guys act like cosgrove single handedly destroyed Nebraska, you do remember Solich was there before Callahan right?

i think i asked this on another post already, but where was Cosgrove at during the 2008 season??

he was unemployed and moved back to Madison, WI and volunteer assistant coached his son's high school team at Edgewood high school.

"Understanding that Minnesota is in a rebuilding process and needs to improve on talent, you do not want to go with a guy who came to one of the perennial powerhouse programs and destroyed it."

What? We're hiring Callahan as the OC?

You guys act like cosgrove single handedly destroyed Nebraska, you do remember Solich was there before Callahan right?

The worst year for Solich and his staff was better than Callahan and Cosgroves best. Every defensive record was destroyed under Cosgroves watch, most points given up in a game, season, you name it. His defenses set the standard for what bad defense is.

Top Bottom