Norwood Teague resigns amind sexual harassment allegations

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Being an idiot academic is the bad thing. The guy is just out of touch with the student body and the expectations the university should have in athletics. The U has been bad for over a decade in all sports, when we should be realistically contending in the Big 10.. Sure, Minnesota doesn't have the tradition or the infrastructure like the Ohio States and Wisconsins, but that is parshly due to the fact that Kaler has not facilitated our arms race against other programs. Instead, he brought in an AD who sexually harassed school employees.

If GMs in the NFL take the blame for the failures of a coach he hired, then Kaler must be held responsible for Teague and Maturi.

Most big time universities don't deal with Title 9 allegations, ADs resigning in shame.

I could also be biased because for my graduation ceremony in the spring of '13, Kaler had the audacity to be our graduation speaker. Most schools and programs get celebrities, successful alums who have made it outside of academia, but, no, Kaler thinks so highly of himself, and considers so little of his student body, that he found it appropriate to give us a send off. If that isn't a sign of someone out of touch with reality, the only thing that would top that is hiring and trusting a man with a debilitating alcohol problem
Maturi quit after Kaler's first year so.....

So what's worse for a football program, this situation or WI losing a 4-star RB recruit? Of course there is no comparison but if you read some of the doom and gloom comments about the skunks losing out on some unproven HS recruit, the Teague situation has to be somewhere between 3-Mile Island and Chernobyl. This is not good and your kidding yourself if you don't think this is going to set us back in the short term and possibly longer depending on the next hire. Given our track record on AD's, the long term could be bad. How many more kicks in the nuts can we take?

From KSTP: "Kaler said he is working closely with Gopher Athletics to ensure a smooth leadership transition. Beth Goetz, deputy athletics director, has agreed to step in as interim athletics director."

This truly better be nothing more than an interim assignment for Beth Goetz until a new AD is found. Our U of M and the vast majority of her fans do not want another "Chris Volez" or "Maturi" type heading up the department and strategically short changing the men's revenue programs as happened for so many years under previous AD administrations prior to Teague's arrival.

Just my two cents on the matter.

I would not be surprised at all if the interim is stripped from her title and Beth Goetz is named the permanent athletic director within a short time.

As someone who deals professionally with people who do stupid, inappropriate or criminal stuff, I can say with confidence that the cell phone is the device that leads to the downfall of the stupid, inappropriate and criminal. Send out garbage in a text and you are sunk. Leaving a digital record leaves no way out, as Teague has discovered.

Go Gophers!!

Mods- please change the title of this thread back to its original name. Not sure why you guys are giving Shooter the credit since I broke the news.

So what's worse for a football program, this situation or WI losing a 4-star RB recruit? Of course there is no comparison but if you read some of the doom and gloom comments about the skunks losing out on some unproven HS recruit, the Teague situation has to be somewhere between 3-Mile Island and Chernobyl. This is not good and your kidding yourself if you don't think this is going to set us back in the short term and possibly longer depending on the next hire. Given our track record on AD's, the long term could be bad. How many more kicks in the nuts can we take?

tell me this is a bit and you're just trying to drum up similarly silly reactions? last i checked an AD doesn't suit up on gamedays.....a 4-star RB does. take a step back and take a deep breath dude. smh.....ridiculous

Does this count towards the Fulmer Cup?

Go Gophers!!

I would not be surprised at all if the interim is stripped from her title and Beth Goetz is named the permanent athletic director within a short time.

That's my fear too. Again, I don't know Goetz but her professional career has been at Missouri-StLouis and Butler. I want someone with a football background. Football is the bread/butter for this athletic department and the landscape is changing fast. We need someone who is familiar with it and can navigate the shark infested waters.

Huh? I have literally never heard this said or reported anywhere.

Somebody (can't remember who) was posting on here - one of the people who claims to have inside information - and said the relationship between Kill and Teague was a little frosty. Can't remember if it was presented as 'fact' or rumor, but I remember reading it. Not saying they hate each other - just saying that as I remember, it was presented as a relationship of 'professional courtesy,' not a personal friendship. As others have pointed out, Teague did not hire kill, he inherited him, and I think the post I remember was presented in that context. hey, I work with people that I'm not best buddies with, but we get along in a professional context. We just don't hang out or share common interests outside of work.

tell me this is a bit and you're just trying to drum up similarly silly reactions? last i checked an AD doesn't suit up on gamedays.....a 4-star RB does. take a step back and take a deep breath dude. smh.....ridiculous

Yeah, you're right. I'm just pretending that this is newsworthy and would end up on SportsCenter. You got me!

Yeah, you're right. I'm just pretending that this is newsworthy and would end up on SportsCenter. You got me!

huh? confused. what does it being newsworthy have to do with the football team's performance on the field of play?! your point seemed to be whether or not a football team's success on game day would be more impacted by a need to find a new AD or by losing a 4/5 star RB recruit you were banking on. i think most logical people would say losing a 4/5 recruit (RB, WR, etc.) hurts a team's actual on-field success 99.9% of the time. tell me if i am missing something here, because i am not following your logic at all. thx

huh? confused. what does it being newsworthy have to do with the football team's performance on the field of play?! your point seemed to be whether or not a football team's success on game day would be more impacted by a need to find a new AD or by losing a 4/5 star RB recruit you were banking on. i think most logical people would say losing a 4/5 recruit (RB, WR, etc.) hurts a team's actual on-field success 99.9% of the time. tell me if i am missing something here, because i am not following your logic at all. thx

I'd rather have Carter Coughlin than Norwood Teague.

Somebody (can't remember who) was posting on here - one of the people who claims to have inside information - and said the relationship between Kill and Teague was a little frosty. Can't remember if it was presented as 'fact' or rumor, but I remember reading it. Not saying they hate each other - just saying that as I remember, it was presented as a relationship of 'professional courtesy,' not a personal friendship. As others have pointed out, Teague did not hire kill, he inherited him, and I think the post I remember was presented in that context. hey, I work with people that I'm not best buddies with, but we get along in a professional context. We just don't hang out or share common interests outside of work.

I heard Mike Grimm a couple hours ago on the PA show. He mentioned that Kill and Teague had their disagreements at times, but no different that most employees and bosses.

What are those areas that have to be navigated that she's not qualified to do?

i think you are aware that you know the answers to your own questions here. or are you just playing the devil's advocate game? for those on the goetz bandwagon feel free to start a public campaign in support of her. it is going to be a mighty small bandwagon. just saying.

It being newsworthy and it affecting football wins/losses are two very different things.

It's newsworthy because it was a person in power resigning because of sexting. The media eat that all day long.

I could be wrong but from my limited knowledge I do believe that Goetz understands the value of revenue sports. I'm not sold that she is all for women's and non rev sports and wants to level the playing field and spending etc. I don't think she was in the Borton camp but as I said before, I very well could be wrong.

Look who's back!!!

Myron Medcalf ‏@MedcalfByESPN 17m17 minutes ago
Here at the University of Minnesota press conference. Time for U officials to answer some tough questions. Again.

Can't imagine how excited he is to be covering this?

It being newsworthy and it affecting football wins/losses are two very different things.

It's newsworthy because it was a person in power resigning because of sexting. The media eat that all day long

ding, ding, ding! we have a winner! +1

Top Bottom