Norwood Teague resigns amind sexual harassment allegations

Two great timing decisions... First after the great turn out at Orlando - he raises football prices with seat licencing - despite a great schedule - new season tix don't blossom. 2nd - today the first day of football practice when the local media can stop fawning on the Vikings for awhile - this happens.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hired as Deputy Director of Athletics and Chief Operating Officer in October 2014 at Penn State. He moved from the athletic department here to the alumni association. I think he applied for AD here and got passed over and went to Cal. May be wrong.

Thank you. IMO, he'd be someone I'd definitely look at based on a number of criteria.

Need to get a football heavy, male, UM alum into this position....

It goes without saying but how unfortunate for Mr. Teague and those who are close to him. I hope
he receives the help he needs. #awful

I sort of cringed when I read this. It flips the script and makes Teague the victim.

He might have a serious drinking problem, sexual addiction, etc, etc. whatever. In that case, I hope he gets help.

Or he might just be a slimeball that knew exactly what he as doing and got caught.

Ironic that this comes out on International Beer Day.

Mostly, I hope that Mr. Teague is able to learn from his mistake and become a better person because of it. Whenever the leader of an organization falls, due to impropriety, it is a blow to the organization. However, this is an opportunity for new leaders to step up and guide the athletics department at the U of MN. I think I would be more concerned if Jerry Kill resigned because the department has become a mess. Hopefully the inner working of the department is established despite the resignation of Mr. Teague.

Touché on the IBD reference. Everything else nicely captures in a nutshell things associated with this unfortunate situation.

Need to get a football heavy, male, UM alum into this position....

Per PSU website (I think he'd fit your criteria):

Prior to Cal, Esten served as the President and CEO of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association. Esten previously was an Associate Athletic Director at Minnesota for six years, managing the overall strategic plan for the Golden Gophers' 25-sport program. He also served as the department's point person for the University's new on-campus football stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, which opened in 2009. Esten was instrumental in the stadium fundraising, an effort that included $90 million in individual and corporate support for the stadium, as well as more than $45 million for academic programs and other University initiatives.

Esten also served as the Assistant Director of Athletic Ticketing and Events at Ohio State, where he worked from 1997-2000.

A native of LaCrosse, Wis., Esten earned a bachelor's degree at the University of St. Thomas (Minn.), where he was a baseball student-athlete. Esten earned a master's in sport management at Ohio State and his doctorate in kinesiology from Minnesota, teaching graduate level courses in the kinesiology department as an adjunct professor.

Prior to Cal, Esten served as the President and CEO of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association. Esten previously was an Associate Athletic Director at Minnesota for six years, managing the overall strategic plan for the Golden Gophers' 25-sport program. He also served as the department's point person for the University's new on-campus football stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, which opened in 2009. Esten was instrumental in the stadium fundraising, an effort that included $90 million in individual and corporate support for the stadium, as well as more than $45 million for academic programs and other University initiatives.

Esten also served as the Assistant Director of Athletic Ticketing and Events at Ohio State, where he worked from 1997-2000.

A native of LaCrosse, Wis., Esten earned a bachelor's degree at the University of St. Thomas (Minn.), where he was a baseball student-athlete. Esten earned a master's in sport management at Ohio State and his doctorate in kinesiology from Minnesota, teaching graduate level courses in the kinesiology department as an adjunct professor.
I think I found the flaw

with muscles......don't forget big muscles!

CHt1T2PXAAMfS2v.jpg

Had him as a professor. Great guy and individual. Speculation, but may have left because Norwood was bringing in his own people.

Can we get Trent Tucker's name thrown into the mix?

Have to admit I'm very curious as to the content of the texts back and forth. Would like to be outraged in proportion with what was done. Some amount of banter might be fireable if brought into the spotlight but not that outrageous when looked at from outside, while it could also be so over the top it would really get you fired up.

He then went on to retweet people saying he'd be a great AD. I could definitely get on the bandwagon.

Had him as a professor. Great guy and individual. Speculation, but may have left because Norwood was bringing in his own people.

Esten was President/CEO of UMAA while Norwood was here.

Have to admit I'm very curious as to the content of the texts back and forth. Would like to be outraged in proportion with what was done. Some amount of banter might be fireable if brought into the spotlight but not that outrageous when looked at from outside, while it could also be so over the top it would really get you fired up.

Maybe just that much more toxic given the timing of the Title IX stuff.. just spitballing...

This is unrelated to Title IX. This investigation is about how money is being spent on men's and women's programs, on men's and women's resources, on size of locker rooms, on size of offices, on comparing facilities. It's not about sex.

The big question now becomes: does this impact the timetable for the facilities project. If they can break ground this fall, they should be able to maintain momentum while the U does a job search for a new AD. But, if they don't break ground this fall, it's a setback for the FB and Basketball programs, and the U in general.

(warning: speculation). On the other hand, a change in AD might be a long-range positive. If, as some have suggested, Kill and Teague were not the best of friends, a new AD might have a better relationship with Kill. And, (more speculation), if any prospective donors were on the fence because of misgivings about Teague, a new AD might help grease the skids to accelerate fund-raising. And, given the Title IX issues, having a new person take over the department might be a good thing - fresh start for everyone.

He then went on to retweet people saying he'd be a great AD. I could definitely get on the bandwagon.
That's interesting, I would join you on that bandwagon.

Top Bottom