Northwestern Fires Pat Fitzgerald

Are you Pat Fitzgerald's agent? Seriously your level of cynicism over all of this is pretty crazy.

Has Northwestern said they plan to do anything about the folks who… actually abused another person?

I’m assuming they were adults, should be responsible.

Lawsuits. For the folks who think this might not have happened or was exaggerated or the coach didn't know.

Are you Pat Fitzgerald's agent? Seriously your level of cynicism over all of this is pretty crazy.

I’d argue my level of cynicism is appropriate, and yours is not. Agree to disagree.

Lawsuits. For the folks who think this might not have happened or was exaggerated or the coach didn't know.

Penn State is currently engaged in fighting a lawsuit over hazing. That player filed a criminal complaint that is on record, named specific players, and allegedly informed the coaches numerous times. Why they decided to dispute the allegations while Northwestern accepted full responsibility for unverified and possibly exaggerated complaints is unknown.

What will come out in the filing from Crump and Co will be the absolute worst case scenario designed to elicit a reaction, and likely not the full truth or possibly anywhere in the vicinity …but that’s my cynical side. Maybe Northwestern is lying about not having evidence of the alleged crimes.

Agree, I would expect the majority to ride it out this year and then jump ship once the season ends.
General question for those who know more about the scholarships - could they just call this year a mulligan and not play? I mean, why would you want to use a year of eligibility to just get clobbered week in and week out, while most likely playing for a lame-duck coach? Or does this year count no matter what?

General question for those who know more about the scholarships - could they just call this year a mulligan and not play? I mean, why would you want to use a year of eligibility to just get clobbered week in and week out, while most likely playing for a lame-duck coach? Or does this year count no matter what?
If you haven't used your redshirt year I would assume you could sit out the year and have it count as that.

Could maybe see a younger player considering that as an option. Guys with pro prospects would want to play even if it is on a bad team in order to get on tape and show what they can do for the next level.

Coaches so rarely get fired at this time of year, there ins't a lot of precedent for how it should be handled by players, especially in this new free transfer/transfer portal era.

I would think the majority of guys who choose to go to Northwestern do so for the education.
Not so much with NFL aspirations.
So, you make the most of an ugly situation - stay and play in a much improved environment.

I would think the majority of guys who choose to go to Northwestern do so for the education.
Not so much with NFL aspirations.
So, you make the most of an ugly situation - stay and play in a much improved environment.
This is pretty overblown, IMO. Northwestern plays in the Big Ten with a (previously) respected coach. Despite the past two terrible seasons, they played in the Big Ten championship game two of the past five years. Our recruiting has been better than theirs recently, but only slightly (see below, 247 composite). They've been on par with us and some might say better. If they go to Northwestern for school but not the NFL, what brings them to Minnesota?

NU UM
2023 47 45
2022 48 49
2021 50 38
2020 47 38
2019 52 45

Penn State is currently engaged in fighting a lawsuit over hazing. That player filed a criminal complaint that is on record, named specific players, and allegedly informed the coaches numerous times. Why they decided to dispute the allegations while Northwestern accepted full responsibility for unverified and possibly exaggerated complaints is unknown.

What will come out in the filing from Crump and Co will be the absolute worst case scenario designed to elicit a reaction, and likely not the full truth or possibly anywhere in the vicinity …but that’s my cynical side. Maybe Northwestern is lying about not having evidence of the alleged crimes.
Again, isn’t the most northwestern going to pay Fitzgerald his buyout? Which I would argue they should’ve have paid him to go away even before this scandal.

Or do you think Fitzgerald has some sort of defamation case

This is pretty overblown, IMO. Northwestern plays in the Big Ten with a (previously) respected coach. Despite the past two terrible seasons, they played in the Big Ten championship game two of the past five years. Our recruiting has been better than theirs recently, but only slightly (see below, 247 composite). They've been on par with us and some might say better. If they go to Northwestern for school but not the NFL, what brings them to Minnesota?

NU UM
2023 47 45
2022 48 49
2021 50 38
2020 47 38
2019 52 45
The academics and to play in the big ten. Same as for Northwestern. There’s a reason we’re both near the middle to bottom every year. Neither of us is getting blue chip 5 stars and that’s not a shot at either program as those players go by and large to a very small group of schools

Northwestern should go the way of their academic rival in Chicago, leave the Big Ten, and terminate athletics altogether.

NU UM
2023 47 45
2022 48 49
2021 50 38
2020 47 38
2019 52 45
Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 10.16.12 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-19 at 10.15.16 PM.png
PJ has established a fairly consistently pipeline the last 4 years.
NW had a very nice group the past draft. I still think there is some validity to what I said.
Players would go to NW for the school and they'd go to Minnesota to be a part of PJ's culture.

Breaking. Wannestadt on radio now. He had long interview on Sunday but ultimately turned them down. Says Skip Holtz is now #1 target.

Breaking. Wannestadt on radio now. He had long interview on Sunday but ultimately turned them down. Says Skip Holtz is now #1 target.
took La Tech to 7 straight bowls. seems like he'd be a pretty decent pickup if they're looking at bringing someone in right now

View attachment 26093View attachment 26094
PJ has established a fairly consistently pipeline the last 4 years.
NW had a very nice group the past draft. I still think there is some validity to what I said.
Players would go to NW for the school and they'd go to Minnesota to be a part of PJ's culture.
Minnesota's NFL pipeline will only continue to grow under PJ Fleck. That will also make transferring to Minnesota very attractive. PJ Fleck has found a way to elevate the talent level even more.

So, NW went from showcasing the new facility and highlighting Pat Fitzerald's accomplishments.

That ultimately got him fired instead? What a way to say @#$% *^% very much for your service. Sayonara. Ignorance is not a defense.

Hazing has been around long before I was in college in the seventies. How many more hazing-related lawsuits are going to come out of the woodwork at other programs? I would not be surprised if political correctness tolerance levels in other conferences are different than in the Big Ten Conference. The Big Ten is still reeling from the Larry Nasser and Jerry Gary Sandusky scandals.

I don't condone that type of behavior in college sports.

Last edited:

They should hire Jackie Chiles.

Lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
giphy.gif

I mentioned him the day this happened in of the threads.. I challenge you to a time stamp duel

I mentioned him the day this happened in of the threads.. I challenge you to a time stamp duel

It amazes me that every time one of these stories comes out, every coach out there doesn't think "wow this is a bad situation, I better make sure I am having discussions with my team and letting them know this is unacceptable and making myself available to anyone who needs to report something like this"

Top Bottom