Next Gopher Head Coach

Give me Craig Smith with Ryan Saunders, Jim Peterson and Dave Thorson as assistants. Ed Conroy as DBO so we can keep Liam. šŸ˜

LATEST UPDATE:

1. Moser is not interested
2. Little to very little steam on Dutcher
3. Gates is interviewing with MN and Marquette this week.
4. Smith interviewing this week.
5. Working on a Medved online interview.

Arkansas isnā€™t a blue blood but they are the next tier down. As far as you calling Arkansas poor, The eastern delta section of the state is Deep South and that drags the numbers down. Fayetteville is in NWA and ranks as a Top five region every year to live work or retire. Also, Wal- Mart isnā€™t the only Fortune 500 company in the area. Arkansas is a Awakening Giant... my cousins live in NWA and I do visit them once a year. Itā€™s nice.... very nice.
We use to end AEDC meetings with ā€œthank god for Mississippiā€. That said UARK had no problem getting $25million for their new basketball facilities and I think they are on their second $1billion fund raising campaign. Plenty of money.

But go after the school like Nolan Richardson did and someone shoots your horse

Arkansas may have some good highlights, but they are not a blue blood that attracts players based upon the history that you mentioned. As long as you are in a good conference, a good coach can create enough buzz to attract the good players.
Arkansas ranks towards the bottom of just about everything in the country. Education, Health Care, Economy, Infrastructure, Income, etc.... Walmart headquarters is the only reason that Fayetteville has any real paying jobs. When you are so far below the average, you would need a substantial awakening just to become average.

Musselman will have a larger legacy if he can create a proven winner in the B1G than he will have by staying at Arkansas. The next Izo!
Not to mention you canā€™t shake a stick down there without hitting 3 rednecks

Could be. Coyle has moved really fast with his hires. Of the major hires Coyle has made I think the one that took the longest was Motzko, and that was 6 days I believe. Unless Coyleā€™s top target is still playing in the NCAAs Iā€™d expect an announcement by the middle of the week at the latest. If Niko were the guy I think Coyle would want him to start ASAP so he can start to re-recruit some of our current guys in the transfer portal and identify others to go after. And I donā€™t think the NIT is reason to delay. Iā€™d bet any of the top candidates who were eliminated from the NCAAs (Gates/Smith/Dutcher/etc) will interview today or tomorrow. With as fast as his searches go I donā€™t think Coyle usually interviews very many candidates. Maybe 2-3. I get the sense he starts with a fairly short list, does background checks and calls references, then interviews his top 2-3 and offers the job pretty quickly if he likes what he hears.
Fleck was hired after the season was done. Not sure about Motzko. I wouldn't read into the timing as pointing to or against any candidate yet. If we don't have a coach a week from now, maybe.

Another coach with Minnesota ties ... Born in Staples, played college hoops at Concordia & MN St Moorhead. NBA coach with no college experience.

Dave Joerger.
Oy. Stop with the NBA coaches with marginal ties to MN. Would he be a candidate at Marquette or Utah? If not, he shouldn't be a candidate at MN.

FWIW I have nothing against Dave Joerger except watching him kill my HS team 2-3 times per year. But I'm over that. Mostly.

Just because they dont have NCAA issues doesnt mean they follow the rules. Theres a reason Muss Will Wade and Nate Oats all hate each other and its not because they do things the right way.
I thought it was common knowledge Oats cheated at Buffalo, and now I can't find any info on it

Oy. Stop with the NBA coaches with marginal ties to MN. Would he be a candidate at Marquette or Utah? If not, he shouldn't be a candidate at MN.

FWIW I have nothing against Dave Joerger except watching him kill my HS team 2-3 times per year. But I'm over that. Mostly.
As the late great Sid would say if you had a lay over in MN you had MN ties.

LATEST UPDATE:

Thank you!

LATEST UPDATE:

247 guys probably dont like you bringing info behind a paywall over here

OK, so Scott Drew of Baylor?

That makes no sense to me, other than "getting back" to the "midwest". Minnesota feels as far away from the Great Lakes midwest as NYC is. Not really getting closer?

And he's been the head coach at Baylor since 2003 !! No doubt they've had a pretty nice run since 2009-10.

He's only been at religious private schools ... and Baylor is damned cult. His brother is at Grand Canyon, another hyper-religious school.

Why on Earth would he have any interest in coming to the U?
My daughter went to Baylor and while it is definitely a Christian school (Baptist affiliation) it is definitely not hyper-religious. For some students yes, for many, no.

I like your list. I would however put Ryan Saunders at 99999999999th. He's terrible. I'm not sure I would hire him to coach a top level high school team. And to be honest, that is probably the level he is looking at if he wants to say in the game.
I laughed when I read your comment about Ryan Saunders and sadly, I think you're in the ballpark. Probably a MIAC guy if he wants a head-coaching college gig around these parts. I think it's more likely he ends up an assistant somewhere.

Somehow, with COVID I've actually been watchiing more of the T-Wolves this winter and although they are still really bad (I think the Shady Lane Assisted Living Center All-Stars could probably put up 100 on them the way they play--or don't play--defense) it's night-and-day in terms of at least trying to look organized since Saunders was fired. It really wasn't fair to anyone--Saunders, the team, or the fans--to have him coaching the T-Wolves. One of my fears is that if Sam Mitchell got the Gopher job, Saunders would be one of his assistants.

Im on this bandwagon too....why not...bring the adidas contract as well.
His buyout is $10m. And that is in addition to all the extra baggage he brings. I generally donā€™t trust anything coaches say to the media, but I truly believe him when he says this is his last coaching job. Heā€™s 68 years old with all the money heā€™ll ever need, and has a low pressure job doing what he loves 10 minutes from his favorite golf course.

His buyout is $10m. And that is in addition to all the extra baggage he brings. I generally donā€™t trust anything coaches say to the media, but I truly believe him when he says this is his last coaching job. Heā€™s 68 years old with all the money heā€™ll ever need, and has a low pressure job doing what he loves 10 minutes from his favorite golf course.
But he would be close to Bunker Hill skiing.

Mike Miller. Spent 2 years under Penny at Memphis as his top recruiter.

Just won a state championship as a high school head coach today. His son is a 4* recruit heading to Creighton next year, he could flip him to MN.
Ooooohhh

Top Bottom