Next Gopher Head Coach

LATEST UPDATE:

1. Moser is not interested
2. Little to very little steam on Dutcher
3. Gates is interviewing with MN and Marquette this week.
4. Smith interviewing this week.
5. Working on a Medved online interview.
I suspect that is all that is currently scheduled and that some other prospect are still busy coaching!

So gates, smith, and medved getting interviews.
I’m not sure how I would rank them in an order roght now.

Gates. He’s the highest ceiling guy but the lowest floor as well being so new to the HC world. If he’s the guy I really hope he would be able to find an established assistant to add to his staff. I also think Dru Joyce is an up and coming assistant for him to take along as well. Gates I think is also the best recruiter of the three and would be able to seal the deal woth a lot of guys.

Smith. Of the three has the best resume as a head coach. Seems like a high energy guy as well with a little bit of fleckism in him. Big question for him is can he recruit at the big ten level. His teams have a lot of foreign guys. Which is always a huge gamble. He’s got a close knit assistant coaches with a couple of them being with him forever. IMO he has the lowest ceiling but the highest floor.

Niko I’m sure is #3 on the list and would be considered a low key hire....but I for one think he would be a solid choice as well. Love that he would bring thorsen with him...one would assume anyway. Well respected in the MN high school circles. And he’s done a heck of a job at Colorado state. If he stays at Colorado state their team next year will be very very good and if it doesn’t happen this year, I would bet next year he will be a guy ADs will be looking at for job openings.

I would expect we should have our answer within the next 5-6 days.
Remember that some other coaches are not on this list because their teams are still playing.

This sounds to me that Coyle viewed Pitino as too laise faire with the program. There were at least two incidents (one that I think happened shortly before Coyle’s hiring) that put the program in a negative light.
I disagree. Pitino lasted as long as he did because he ran a clean program.

Coyle is looking for someone who runs a clean program and wins.

Will a 3/14 embarrassing loss be enough to put Shaka back on the hot seat?

Way to steal the info from GI and not give them any credit or attribution for it. That's a bold move.

People don't own rumors and information. The GI folks really need to get over that. People pay the premium to hear it FIRST or to have interactions with the people giving that information. They aren't paying for the info. Once it's out, it's out.

Could you imagine a newspaper being pissed because someone recapped an article to someone else?

Buy out Chris Mack. Louisville is in turmoil.

People don't own rumors and information. The GI folks really need to get over that. People pay the premium to hear it FIRST or to have interactions with the people giving that information. They aren't paying for the info. Once it's out, it's out.

Could you imagine a newspaper being pissed because someone recapped an article to someone else?
And what if writergoph is the actual source that GI is using.

What's his buyout? Would they really make him pay it?
I don't know what the terms are but sounds like people are pissed about some assistants getting fired.

Sounds like a good opportunity to find new scenery.

Only because he's had a shot in a big conference. He's under .500 in the Big 12 despite consistently having one of the most talented teams.
He's flawed, no doubt. But if our other options are Gates and Smith, give me Shaka. Texas chews up coaches. Rick Barnes has been far better at Clemson and Tennesee.

He's flawed, no doubt. But if our other options are Gates and Smith, give me Shaka. Texas chews up coaches. Rick Barnes has been far better at Clemson and Tennesee.
I’ll take someone who’s not a failed retread all day every day.

Top Bottom