Next Gopher Head Coach

Here's a dark horse candidate - Jeff Linder

Was an assistant coach when Coyle was at Boise St.

Cleaned up and quickly improved a Northern Colorado program coming off of numerous NCAA violations.

Immediately improved a terrible Wyoming team in his first season there this year.

I heard him state his source close to the program told him the likely target, that showed interest, and that Barrerio would like the hire (or has some wow to it).

Not sure if this list incorporates his statement as he made on air Tuesday (day after firing), but if so, that would be a heck of a clue.
What is the clue....

I think we're in the popcorn popping phase of the process. With all the developments and whispers, it's getting interesting.

The guy I described has a good chance to win the National Championship this year. Why would he leave that team to come to Minnesota? That is an even bigger splash than Tubby Smith.
Indiana is going to be after that particular fellow, methinks.

Don't worry. There is only a .01% chance Musselman would take this job. Rumor has it that he's about to get a 4+ million dollar raise and a huge buyout.

His best players at Arkansas are freshmen, with the exception of former Indiana transfer Smith. Arkansas' 2022 class is loaded with 4 and 5 star players that all want to play at Arkansas.

Why leave a program that he has rolling for a total rebuild, mediocre arena, and a much harder place to recruit at? Guys use some logic, he's not coming here. We missed our chance years ago.
He just got their and brought in those good freshman! He can do the same in the B1G at Minnesota.

I think this is all a good case for why he wouldn't leave SDSU as well. Why wait that long to get the SDSU job and then when the opportunity is yours, leave after 4 years.

I understand where you're coming from. I'd just like to see a strong regular season and then take our chances when we get to the NCAAs and I think Dutcher brings that. I agree Boeheim at his best this time of year.

I'm gonna stick to my anomaly card for tonight for whatever it's worth. There's been some very good coaches that have struggled with this zone through all the years. I just don't think you can find a way to totally prepare for it when you've never actually played it.
Based on his buyout it's pretty he wants to come here and finish out his career as a HC. The fixation by some on his age is pretty comical to me.

Cleaned up and quickly improved a Northern Colorado program coming off of numerous NCAA violations.

Immediately improved a terrible Wyoming team in his first season there this year.
I like Linder also.

What about Wes Miller @ UNC Greensboro? Has his name been bandied about in this 74 page thread and counting.

38 with 10 years as a D1 HC and played at Carolina. I prefer a younger coach if possible. He has much more experience than Gates.

Here is his record -

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2011–12UNC Greensboro11–1110–51st (North)
2012–13UNC Greensboro9–226–126th (North)
2013–14UNC Greensboro14–187–96th
2014–15UNC Greensboro11–226–12T–7th
2015–16UNC Greensboro15–1910–8T–5thCBI Quarterfinals
2016–17UNC Greensboro25–1014–4T–1stNIT First Round
2017–18UNC Greensboro27–815–31stNCAA Round of 64
2018–19UNC Greensboro29–715–32ndNIT Second Round
2019–20UNC Greensboro23–913–53rd
2020–21UNC Greensboro21–813–51stNCAA
UNC Greensboro:185–134 (.580)109–66 (.623)
Total:182–134 (.576)

Last edited:

What about Wes Miller? Has his name been bandied about in this 74 page thread and counting.

38 with 10 years as a D1 HC and played at Carolina. I prefer a younger coach if possible. He has much more experience than Gates.

Here is his record -

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2011–12UNC Greensboro11–1110–51st (North)
2012–13UNC Greensboro9–226–126th (North)
2013–14UNC Greensboro14–187–96th
2014–15UNC Greensboro11–226–12T–7th
2015–16UNC Greensboro15–1910–8T–5thCBI Quarterfinals
2016–17UNC Greensboro25–1014–4T–1stNIT First Round
2017–18UNC Greensboro27–815–31stNCAA Round of 64
2018–19UNC Greensboro29–715–32ndNIT Second Round
2019–20UNC Greensboro23–913–53rd
2020–21UNC Greensboro21–813–51stNCAA
UNC Greensboro:185–134 (.580)109–66 (.623)
Total:182–134 (.576)
His name has crossed my mind once or twice, but based off his roster he really only has recruiting ties in and around North Carolina. He really has no connection to the Midwest at all, and I would imagine if his success continues he'll be in consideration for some of the big east coast schools.

Well with Dutch and Smith done with the tournament run, how soon does MN move in this hire? Will we have a new coach within a week?

I think they meant Drew but I was think Shaka as well. No way we end up with Drew

Started at Valpo.
Homer was the coach there and his brother hit "The Shot".
Well with Dutch and Smith done with the tournament run, how soon does MN move in this hire? Will we have a new coach within a week?
Dutcher, Smith and Gates are all done with their seasons. If it's one of them I think we should know by the middle of next week. If a week from now we don't know the new coach....it's not going to be one of them in my opinion. Or at least they weren't the first choice.

SHUT UP! Leave him out of this.

His name has crossed my mind once or twice, but based off his roster he really only has recruiting ties in and around North Carolina. He really has no connection to the Midwest at all, and I would imagine if his success continues he'll be in consideration for some of the big east coast schools.
Valid points, but does that eliminate him?

My guess on the sleeper candidate would be Mike Boynton. Power 5 conference, successful, underpaid, school facing sanctions (from previous coach), southern school, very good recruiter. Scott Drew would be a home run hire though. In the end, I’m sensing the hire will be Nikko Medved, and I would be happy with that too.

There are only three rumored candidates that fit this description:

1. Musselman - LSU, Nevada, Arkansas
2. Smith - ND State, Colorado St, Nebraska, Utah St.
3. Medved - Minnesota, Colorado St
Though not rumored for this job I believe there might be another potential candidate that fits this description mentioned as the top choice by an online sports news subscription site. Might even by a thread about it on this board. 🤔

Top Bottom