Next Gopher Head Coach

Homer was the coach there and his brother hit "The Shot".

Dutcher, Smith and Gates are all done with their seasons. If it's one of them I think we should know by the middle of next week. If a week from now we don't know the new coach....it's not going to be one of them in my opinion. Or at least they weren't the first choice.

Agree, if we don't have a new coach by the middle of next week, it's likely someone still in the tournament.

I am 100% certain it will not be Dutcher though.

My guess on the sleeper candidate would be Mike Boynton. Power 5 conference, successful, underpaid, school facing sanctions (from previous coach), southern school, very good recruiter. Scott Drew would be a home run hire though. In the end, I’m sensing the hire will be Nikko Medved, and I would be happy with that too.
Going to make it a point not to watch their game. I get waaaaaay too fussy.

Really big fish....like someone who might be coaching in Texas and might want to get back to the midwest type of big fish? That would be my ultimate big fish but I don't see that as remotely possible.
We missed our Shaka window last year, IMO. Darn Covid.

My guess on the "wants a soft landing" list this year is Mike Brey, Not sure I want him. I'd like to know more about what has happened at ND lately.

Started at Valpo.
Homer was the coach there and his brother hit "The Shot".

OK, so Scott Drew of Baylor?

That makes no sense to me, other than "getting back" to the "midwest". Minnesota feels as far away from the Great Lakes midwest as NYC is. Not really getting closer?

And he's been the head coach at Baylor since 2003 !! No doubt they've had a pretty nice run since 2009-10.

He's only been at religious private schools ... and Baylor is damned cult. His brother is at Grand Canyon, another hyper-religious school.

Why on Earth would he have any interest in coming to the U?

In the end, I’m sensing the hire will be Nikko Medved, and I would be happy with that too.
Bring Thorson and Roddy and let's do this!

Or Smith. I refuse to choose between them. Give me either.

OK, so Scott Drew of Baylor?

That makes no sense to me, other than "getting back" to the "midwest". Minnesota feels as far away from the Great Lakes midwest as NYC is. Not really getting closer?

And he's been the head coach at Baylor since 2003 !! No doubt they've had a pretty nice run since 2009-10.

He's only been at religious private schools ... and Baylor is damned cult. His brother is at Grand Canyon, another hyper-religious school.

Why on Earth would he have any interest in coming to the U?
He wouldn't, it's a far-fetched suggestion.

Though not rumored for this job I believe there might be another potential candidate that fits this description mentioned as the top choice by an online sports news subscription site. Might even by a thread about it on this board. 🤔

I didn’t consider Stillwater an urban setting

My guess on the sleeper candidate would be Mike Boynton. Power 5 conference, successful, underpaid, school facing sanctions (from previous coach), southern school, very good recruiter. Scott Drew would be a home run hire though. In the end, I’m sensing the hire will be Nikko Medved, and I would be happy with that too.
I’d be very surprised if it’s Medved at this point. He’s one of the few on the long list who didn’t make the NCAA tournament. If Coyle wanted him it would have been a done deal already. Guess it’s possible that he’s a backup plan if Coyle is turned down by others, but I think it’s safe to say Medved is not Coyle’s first choice

I’d be very surprised if it’s Medved at this point. He’s one of the few on the long list who didn’t make the NCAA tournament. If Coyle wanted him it would have been a done deal already. Guess it’s possible that he’s a backup plan if Coyle is turned down by others, but I think it’s safe to say Medved is not Coyle’s first choice
Possibly, they are still alive in the NIT though.

I wouldn't make that assumption. He's still coaching just like the others. Plus they will interview several candidates. There was never going to be a hire before Tuesday at the earliest IMO.

PJ had a specific list of schools he would say yes to. For whatever reason, we were on it. Don't think Coyle figured much into PJ's grand plans, other than to just promise to stay out of his way and get him what he needed.
Ya, Maturi or Teague would of nabbed him too.

Go Texas Tech. Arkansas advancing can only make things more complicated.
Respectfully, what would Muss come here????
from Arkansas?? Statistically they are a Top 15 All- Time program in my opinion and the numbers back it up. . 34 NCAA’s ...6 Final Fours (10th All-Time) ..Better win % than Indiana, 1994 National Champs, 2 Naismith Hall of Fame coaches. (Sutton and Richardson) Rabid fan base, ELITE facilities. WAL MART MONEY ...Consistently ranked Top 5 place in the U.S. to retire work or live by Forbes and others...I had to research some of this but it seems that Arkansas is an awakening Giant! The Gophers can get it going with the right coach no doubt. I just don’t see Muss as realistic. Go Gophers!

I wouldn't make that assumption. He's still coaching just like the others. Plus they will interview several candidates. There was never going to be a hire before Tuesday at the earliest IMO.
Could be. Coyle has moved really fast with his hires. Of the major hires Coyle has made I think the one that took the longest was Motzko, and that was 6 days I believe. Unless Coyle’s top target is still playing in the NCAAs I’d expect an announcement by the middle of the week at the latest. If Niko were the guy I think Coyle would want him to start ASAP so he can start to re-recruit some of our current guys in the transfer portal and identify others to go after. And I don’t think the NIT is reason to delay. I’d bet any of the top candidates who were eliminated from the NCAAs (Gates/Smith/Dutcher/etc) will interview today or tomorrow. With as fast as his searches go I don’t think Coyle usually interviews very many candidates. Maybe 2-3. I get the sense he starts with a fairly short list, does background checks and calls references, then interviews his top 2-3 and offers the job pretty quickly if he likes what he hears.

from Arkansas?? Statistically they are a Top 15 All- Time program in my opinion and the numbers back it up. . 34 NCAA’s ...6 Final Fours (10th All-Time) ..Better win % than Indiana, 1994 National Champs, 2 Naismith Hall of Fame coaches. (Sutton and Richardson) Rabid fan base, ELITE facilities. WAL MART MONEY ...Consistently ranked Top 5 place in the U.S. to retire work or live by Forbes and others...I had to research some of this but it seems that Arkansas is an awakening Giant! The Gophers can get it going with the right coach no doubt. I just don’t see Muss as realistic. Go Gophers!
This has been beaten to death. He probably won't, even though isn't quite the Dream Job you're making it out to be. But various sources have said he's interested. Believe whichever side you choose.

Either way, if they at least want to take a shot at him, Arkansas making a deep run could hold up the process. So go Texas Tech!

Linder is an interesting name. Is he high energy like Musselman?
He is a really good coach and really good offensive mind. He had a huge impact when he was at Boise. He has everyone returning next year at Wyoming so it will be interesting but I could see him as a hot name in 2 to 3 years.

Arkansas may have some good highlights, but they are not a blue blood that attracts players based upon the history that you mentioned. As long as you are in a good conference, a good coach can create enough buzz to attract the good players.
Arkansas ranks towards the bottom of just about everything in the country. Education, Health Care, Economy, Infrastructure, Income, etc.... Walmart headquarters is the only reason that Fayetteville has any real paying jobs. When you are so far below the average, you would need a substantial awakening just to become average.

Musselman will have a larger legacy if he can create a proven winner in the B1G than he will have by staying at Arkansas. The next Izo!

Agreed. As much as I would love Muss and he's my #1 choice. The love he would need to have for MN would be off the charts for him to leave Arkansas.

Arkansas may have some good highlights, but they are not a blue blood that attracts players based upon the history that you mentioned. As long as you are in a good conference, a good coach can create enough buzz to attract the good players.
Arkansas ranks towards the bottom of just about everything in the country. Education, Health Care, Economy, Infrastructure, Income, etc.... Walmart headquarters is the only reason that Fayetteville has any real paying jobs. When you are so far below the average, you would need a substantial awakening just to become average.

Musselman will have a larger legacy if he can create a proven winner in the B1G than he will have by staying at Arkansas. The next Izo!
Arkansas isn’t a blue blood but they are the next tier down. As far as you calling Arkansas poor, The eastern delta section of the state is Deep South and that drags the numbers down. Fayetteville is in NWA and ranks as a Top five region every year to live work or retire. Also, Wal- Mart isn’t the only Fortune 500 company in the area. Arkansas is a Awakening Giant... my cousins live in NWA and I do visit them once a year. It’s nice.... very nice.

Top Bottom