Next Gopher Head Coach

People need to stop with liking or disliking a coach based on one game, even after 10 minutes of a game. I’d take Matt Painter or Chris Holtmann in a second and Purdue and OSU both choked today.
You’d take Painter but head to head Richard often outcoached him.
The problem for Richard was sustaining anything. Painter won more games consistently vs the other guys.

Obviously a very difficult night for SDSU and Dutcher. Not the first time I've seen Syracuse dominant 2-3 zone. Overall Dutcher teams are fantastic defensively and that's the foundation. Were set to be a 2 seed in last years tournament. 6 seed this year (I understand they're getting hammered but speaks more to the consistency of their regular season). Won the conference back to back years. Lots of experience with successful teams and working with Fisher.
Thanks. For the record, I posted at how much I hate him in this thread way before they started playing tonight. What I really don't get with him: either he never had a head coaching opportunity (virtually impossible) or he chose to be an assistant for 34 years waiting for his head coach to die or retire. Now he is 62 and if we hire him, we are looking for another coach in 6-8 years, or sooner.

I appreciate you answering though, at least I understand where you are coming from. They remind of Lute Olsen's Arizona's teams. Great on paper, until they hit the tournament. Not tough. Syracuse is an 11 seed. Plenty of people have beat their zone, but they are battle tested and know how to win in post season. It's what make Jimmy B. great at what he does.

Tough to focus while preparing for an interview.
I thought the same when Arkansas was down 33-19 to Colgate...

In all seriousness though, this is why "Dutcher wouldn't leave SDSU it's better" is highly questionable. This is about their ceiling. And they're getting smoked in the 1st round. I know they were better last year, but even Fisher never got them past the Sweet 16.

When is the last time any Mountain West team made the Final Four? The only one i can think of is UNLV but I believe they were in a different conference in the early 90's.

Hot coaches are the ones who make tournament runs.

Thanks. For the record, I posted at how much I hate him in this thread way before they started playing tonight. What I really don't get with him: either he never had a head coaching opportunity (virtually impossible) or he chose to be an assistant for 34 years waiting for his head coach to die or retire. Now he is 62 and if we hire him, we are looking for another coach in 6-8 years, or sooner.
I think this is all a good case for why he wouldn't leave SDSU as well. Why wait that long to get the SDSU job and then when the opportunity is yours, leave after 4 years.

I understand where you're coming from. I'd just like to see a strong regular season and then take our chances when we get to the NCAAs and I think Dutcher brings that. I agree Boeheim at his best this time of year.

I'm gonna stick to my anomaly card for tonight for whatever it's worth. There's been some very good coaches that have struggled with this zone through all the years. I just don't think you can find a way to totally prepare for it when you've never actually played it.

The problem for Richard was sustaining anything. Painter won more games consistently vs the other guys.
Matt Painter has a .623 career conference winning percentage, sustained over 16 years. As well as 15 career NCAA tourney wins. Pitino oddly fared better against the Boilers than a lot of other teams, but he still only had a 6-8 career record against Purdue. Not sure the point you’re trying to make? Painter has proven himself to be an elite coach. They obviously choked today, like a couple of other B1G teams did as well.

How about Sam Mitchell as your lead assistant if your Dutcher (or whoever)? I kinda like it.

How about Sam Mitchell as your lead assistant if your Dutcher (or whoever)? I kinda like it.
57 year old fresh face for the 62 year old coach? I'd much rather have Ben Johnson or even Saunders.

Michell could make sense for Gates or Smith, but I have no idea how good his local connections are.

Pitino was 8-6 against Purdue.

57 year old fresh face for the 62 year old coach? I'd much rather have Ben Johnson or even Saunders.
I want assistants that have been around winners. What is it that so many keep mentioning guys connected to Minnesota !

I want assistants that have been around winners. What is it that so many keep mentioning guys connected to Minnesota !
Because our local recruiting has been bad. Having someone who could tap into it is important. Especially if the HC is Dutcher who hasn't recruited this area in a long time.

I appreciate you answering though, at least I understand where you are coming from. They remind of Lute Olsen's Arizona's teams. Great on paper, until they hit the tournament. Not tough. Syracuse is an 11 seed. Plenty of people have beat their zone, but they are battle tested and know how to win in post season. It's what make Jimmy B. great at what he does.
Why would we be looking for a coach in 6-8 years? He could coach 10+years. Also, a guy who showed loyalty to his head coach and enjoyed winning with him? What's wrong with that? That should not indict someone. He has demonstrated he can be the head coach now.

That all doesn't mean he's my first choice, but age and being a long-time asst are the least of my concerns. I want someone who can get us on solid footing, demonstrate you can win here.

Mitchell a former NBA coach of the year. Seems like a decent guy to have on staff. Kids like NBA guys and more than that I think Mitchell knows the game better than most. I just don't think he knows the college game quite as well so I'm not making him my head coach. Lot more to head coaching in college (recruiting, etc.) I'm not too worried about the age deal but you've got 2 other main assistant spots to bring in younger guys if you want. You'd like to have at least 1 guy on staff with Minnesota connections for recruiting. Maybe that's not Mitchell but you'd like somebody. I'm just not a big Saunders or Johnson guy for the winning argument.

No No No... the lead assistant needs to be a top-notch recruiter. Bring someone like Ben Johnson of Xavier back home before an old dude like Mitchell.

Mitchell a former NBA coach of the year. Seems like a decent guy to have on staff. Kids like NBA guys and more than that I think Mitchell knows the game better than most. I just don't think he knows the college game quite as well so I'm not making him my head coach. Lot more to head coaching in college (recruiting, etc.) I'm not too worried about the age deal but you've got 2 other main assistant spots to bring in younger guys if you want. You'd like to have at least 1 guy on staff with Minnesota connections for recruiting. Maybe that's not Mitchell but you'd like somebody. I'm just not a big Saunders or Johnson guy for the winning argument.
I'm just saying he doesn't make sense with Dutcher. We would presumably want someone younger in that case.

Also, what are Mitchell's MN recruiting connections? Are there any? Playing for the Wolves 20 years ago and being a Wolves assistant/interim coach 5 years ago don't mean anything really.

I'm just saying he doesn't make sense with Dutcher. We would presumably want someone younger in that case.

Also, what are Mitchell's MN recruiting connections? Are there any? Playing for the Wolves 20 years ago and being a Wolves assistant/interim coach 5 years ago don't mean anything really.
You're not wrong about the connection piece. Just spit ballin' a little bit here. Could do worse than having Mitchell in one of those assistant spots.

Matt Painter has a .623 career conference winning percentage, sustained over 16 years. As well as 15 career NCAA tourney wins. Pitino oddly fared better against the Boilers than a lot of other teams, but he still only had a 6-8 career record against Purdue. Not sure the point you’re trying to make? Painter has proven himself to be an elite coach. They obviously choked today, like a couple of other B1G teams did as well.
I’m not a Painter fan. More clear now?

Get a guy who's a great recruiter and can win at minnesota. Who's that guy? Keep hearing minnesota is not a good job! Really? Coaching in best conference and making millions. Sounds terrible.

Get a guy who's a great recruiter and can win at minnesota. Who's that guy? Keep hearing minnesota is not a good job! Really? Coaching in best conference and making millions. Sounds terrible.
Who's your guy?

why can't we have nice things? all i want is a coach that will make us at least .500 in the conference year in and year out

Top Bottom