Next Gopher Head Coach

Coyle rolled the dice on his own employment by firing a competent coach. While, Pitino did a poor job coaching to the strengths of his roster this year, he was likely going to get an experienced squad into the tourney next year barring major injuries/transfers. Time will tell, but the names being floated for the Gophers HC position are not very impressive and this hire could go sideways or worse.

So far Utah St, Cleveland St and San Diego St have all looked mediocre. Coyle can start interviewing their coaches tomorrow. Dutcher, Gates and Smith...can either of them actually move the needle of mediocrity if they coach the Gophers?
Not really. Change for change's sometimes works; often it does not.

Coyle rolled the dice on his own employment by firing a competent coach. While, Pitino did a poor job coaching to the strengths of his roster this year, he was likely going to get an experienced squad into the tourney next year barring major injuries/transfers. Time will tell, but the names being floated for the Gophers HC position are not very impressive and this hire could go sideways or worse.
What are you basing that on? Carr was likely to leave either way. We have no idea what next year's roster would have looked like but presuming 6-14 becomes an NCAA team while losing it's best player is a huge leap.

The names being floated now are far better than they were in 2013.

What are you basing that on? Carr was likely to leave either way. We have no idea what next year's roster would have looked like but presuming 6-14 becomes an NCAA team while losing it's best player is a huge leap.

The names being floated now are far better than they were in 2013.
I am not sure where he is getting any of it. Pitino was not a competent coach as he claims. He won 36% of his conference games over an 8 year stretch. He's widely been considered the worst coach in the conference by followers of other B1G schools for a number of years and he's clearly the worst coach the Gophers have ever had.

Now going in to next year, I can't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't have been picked in the bottom 3 of the conference. We finished 13th this year! Northwestern brings everyone back. Nebraska is no longer ravaged by Covid and adds a 5 star kid and another kid rated higher than either of the Gopher recruits. Penn State finished better than us with an interim coach. Those are the only 3 teams I can even think to make a case for the Gophers being at the same level with if Carr didn't come back as was always expected. With Carr, maybe you put them clearly above those 3 teams, but who else do they pass?

LOL.

This might be the worst post in GH history.

After exhaustive research (reading Wikipedia, checking tournament scores, and chatting with friends) I have adjusted my EKMN Coaching Preference Rankings thusly:

1. Eric Musselman
2. Dutcher or Smith (Ida Know)
3. Grant (if he’s even available)

I didn’t realize that Muss was so highly regarded in the business.

Lol tmrw. But I don’t want the head job. I was more involved with player development.

Congrats on your & the team success! Cool to hear.

I know more football Xs and Os then hoops, but even I can see that Iso Carr ball is not a long-term winning strategy, disenfranchises your teammates and is boring to watch, unless he is making more than he misses.

Give me player/ball movement any day of the week - that's why I loved Beilien's MI teams - there was movement.

I think my top choice is Niko Medved. He's got a young team loaded with sophomores with a few juniors and freshmen sprinkled in. If we pass on him and he stays at CSU, they will probably have two big years. People are going to asking why we passed on him since he was such a perfect fit...especially if the new coach struggles early on.

I think a lot of 'em in here have convinced themselves that Moser is a done-deal at DePaul...
Or Marquette.

Big East seems like the natural place for him to step up into the P6, given the type of institution Loyola is.

I think my top choice is Niko Medved. He's got a young team loaded with sophomores with a few juniors and freshmen sprinkled in. If we pass on him and he stays at CSU, they will probably have two big years. People are going to asking why we passed on him since he was such a perfect fit...especially if the new coach struggles early on.
Thorson and Roddy would come with him too.

Unless other schools simply snatch up the other guys or they turn us down, just feels like there are too many other guys ahead of him at this point.

27-51 in the B1G and playing in the first round of the B1G Tournament 3 of the last 4 years is competent? I'm not sure how it could be any worse. The reality is we are a bottom 4 program in the B1G right now (with Nebraska, Northwestern and Penn State). The sad part is that Northwestern DOES have everybody coming back and Nebraska has a very good recruiting class coming in next year. The nail in the coffin for me was going to a B1G game last year and seeing the whole upper deck of The Barn empty.

Thorson and Roddy would come with him too.

Unless other schools simply snatch up the other guys or they turn us down, just feels like there are too many other guys ahead of him at this point.

Based on what people on GopherHole are saying? I don't think anyone on this forum has any input on who the next coach of the Gophers is going to be.

I would say Drake guy too. Both Catholic private schools .... but we all know Drake guy won't accept any job, no matter what, if he can't at least hit the state of Iowa with a flare gun from the campus.
Drake isn’t a Catholic school.

If it came down to it, I’d still take Niko over Miles.

Muss - never was coming, used us to get a raise
Dutcher - says no thanks, staying with his good thing
Smith - decides to stay out West in the easier PAC, goes with Utah
Gates - decides not to take our offer (make up whatever reason you want)
Moser - DePaul or Marquette
DrVries - never interested, waiting for Iowa — or shocks the world and takes whichever of DePaul/Marquette that Moser turns down
Mitchell/Saunders - lol no

That leaves Miles and Niko, doesn’t it?

Based on what people on GopherHole are saying? I don't think anyone on this forum has any input on who the next coach of the Gophers is going to be.
Of course not, but I doubt Coyle’s actual list is radically different. It’s not rocket science.

I was hopeful of Dutcher being a HC candidate until I watched them get owned yesterday. Not that he should be judged on one game but it really seemed like he had that "overwhelmed" look about him. I am old enough to remember watching his dad coach the gophers and Junior has a similar style. If I remember right Dad was all about coaching kids up prior to game time and allowed them a lot of latitude on the floor. Considering also at that time as well as pre-pandemic the fans would serve as a motivator for the players. With no fans low key coaches like Dutcher Junior are challenged.

I think a lot of 'em in here have convinced themselves that Moser is a done-deal at DePaul...
Moser isn’t coming here. He’s a devout Catholic who attended Catholic high school and college, and has sent (or will send) his four kids to Loyola Academy (LA), a private Jesuit high school. If he leaves Loyola it will be for another Catholic school. DePaul’s campus is only 6 miles from Loyola’s and would allow him to keep his sons at LA. I think another Jesuit school, Marquette, a better program in DePaul’s conference with far greater resources, is the wild card here and they will push very hard for him and that he’ll listen.

Top Bottom