Next Gopher Head Coach

Why no interest in Porter Moser (Loyola Chicago) - a final 4 appearance & another excellent year in 2021. Chicago connections for sure & always a hot bed for talent.
With all the Drake games I've watched in person over the years, I've seen Moser quite a bit. The guy knows how to coach. He knows how to emphasize defense. He knows how to run an offense with a lot of movement and even utilizes an old school post presence. Can he recruit to a high major level? I don't know.

I don't have all the details, but it looks like Dan Dakich is available.

or do we need to call him Twitterless Dan?

I like Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. A winner, coach of the year, a recruiter, black, wants his teams to “play defense and share the ball on offense.”
Check him out.

If that was possible he probably isn’t open for hiring until March 22 because he probably isn’t available before we want a coach
Brad Stevens ain't coming to the Gophers no matter what year.

Not true. Some have turned down double the money to stay where they are.
That doesn’t at all disagree what I said unless you’re claiming it is impossible to triple, quadruple, or quintuple money

I know some in here have suggested to pass on potentially getting Dutcher/Beilien because they are a bit older. Leonard Hamilton is one of the best coaches in the country, he is 72 and just signed a 5 yr extension. Everyone is different, but some seem to suggest Dutcher (61) or Beilien (68) are simply too old and would leave in 4-5 years no matter what. It is certainly a possibility they could but if Coyle deems one of these guys the right guy I am not worried about age in the least.

Maybe we just need someone with a better shoe contract?

I know some in here have suggested to pass on potentially getting Dutcher/Beilien because they are a bit older. Leonard Hamilton is one of the best coaches in the country, he is 72 and just signed a 5 yr extension. Everyone is different, but some seem to suggest Dutcher (61) or Beilien (68) are simply too old and would leave in 4-5 years no matter what. It is certainly a possibility they could but if Coyle deems one of these guys the right guy I am not worried about age in the least.
All I can say is that Dutcher looks GREAT for a guy his age.

Serious question. Why would Muss leaving his current situation to come here? Top 20 team, rabid fanbase, more money coming etc. I would love him here but I just don't see it happening.

Serious question. Why would Muss leaving his current situation to come here? Top 20 team, rabid fanbase, more money coming etc. I would love him here but I just don't see it happening.
All I know is this: Reusse has sources. He broke the story that Brewster had been fired. If he reports Musselman is interested, that's a game changer right there.

builtbadgers has said for a long time that he'd never come here, partly because his wife isn't a cold weather lover. Well, conflicts in families can be resolved, especially when a job in the top conference in the country is at stake.

Because Arkansas has a lot of stereotypes I won’t get into

All I know is this: Reusse has sources. He broke the story that Brewster had been fired. If he reports Musselman is interested, that's a game changer right there.

builtbadgers has said for a long time that he'd never come here, partly because his wife isn't a cold weather lover. Well, conflicts in families can be resolved, especially when a job in the top conference in the country is at stake.

For sure. Wasn't it also mentioned that Muss reached out to Coyle last year but he wasn't ready to dump Richard? This is where Coyle is going to be putting his neck out on the line as he is going to need to come up with cash to bring him here! Game on!

I was told he would never come here. It is my hope that they are wrong and he does come here. May be wise to remember that we are not going to compete with Walton money if it comes to a bidding war . They will talk a large raise and a annuity like others have.

I was told he would never come here. It is my hope that they are wrong and he does come here. May be wise to remember that we are not going to compete with Walton money if it comes to a bidding war . They will talk a large raise and a annuity like others have.
Like you yourself have said, if money was everything, everyone would hire Calipari.

Reusse mentioned Musselman wanting to come "fix" his dad's legacy at the U etc. If he's coming, it's not for the $ (though we will have to pony up at least a comparable salary I'm sure).

Reusse mentioned Musselman wanting to come "fix" his dad's legacy at the U etc. If he's coming, it's not for the $ (though we will have to pony up at least a comparable salary I'm sure).
Wondering if that's 1) pure speculation, 2) genuine knowledge of his interest, 3) some combination of 1 and 2, or 4) he's being played by his agent. Any of those are possible. I'm not going to buy or dismiss anything at this point. I do believe the chatter that he's Coyle's moon shot target because, well, why wouldn't he be?

In almost 3 full seasons Craig Smith has the same winning percentage as Musselman had in 4 seasons in the MW, both overall and in conference. Niko Medved is about 20 percentage points below Smith in 3 years at Colorado St.
If Musselman can't be had, I'd be pleased as heck to get Smith.

I still haven't seen a name in here that gets me excited.

Top Bottom