Next Gopher Head Coach

Minnesota sports fans can't help it. At least Smith and Gates are likely to be available by the end of the night.

I’d probably be right there with everyone else if we didn’t have Coyle. He’s had to make two big hires to make and I think he’s nailed both so we should take some confidence from that. I’d love if one of those two was announced on Monday haha.

And they should be blamed.

Doogie saw it on here, and thought it would be a good idea.

Star Trib caught wind that Doogie brought it up.

Star Trib thought it would be a good idea to ask Sam himself

And he responds, "F yeah I'm interested in the Minnesota job, it's a hidden gem"

It's exactly why Doogie and the Strib are nothing but hacks. They know absolutely nothing.

You said you take him seriously and like him a lot. Yet now you don't want him as a head coach. That doesn't make any sense.
You jumped to a conclusion. I never said I wanted him as our coach, I only said that I take him seriously. You might not like him, but he has a resume as a player and a coach that bears review.

I specifically said who I do want, and he wasn't on that list.

You are not good at nuance.

GWG, here's a longer version of my thoughts on Sam Mitchell from an earlier post:

"Sam Mitchell - I loved Sam Mitchell as a Timberwolf. He was my favorite player (I was a teen when the Wolves entered the league) and he has the knowledge and ability to coach. I don't know whether he has the ability to recruit, though. He's never had to do it. Also, does NBA experience translate to coaching 18 year-olds? I don't know."

You jumped to a conclusion. I never said I wanted him as our coach, I only said that I take him seriously. You might not like him, but he has a resume as a player and a coach that bears review.

I specifically said who I do want, and he wasn't on that list.

You are not good at nuance.

It's pretty odd that in a 'next gopher head coach' thread that you would say you like someone and are taking him seriously, yet don't want anything to do with him as a head coach...

Plus he doesn't have a resume worth reviewing. He's literally been sitting at home for 4 of the last 5 years.

It's pretty odd that in a 'next gopher head coach' thread that you would say you like someone and are taking him seriously, yet don't want anything to do with him as a head coach...

Plus he doesn't have a resume worth reviewing. He's literally been sitting at home for 4 of the last 5 years.
Alright, you've got your opinion. So does everyone. I don't know why you're obsessed with mine.

The fact is, you read something, thought it meant something else, and then because you misapprehended one person's words, you claimed that there's a crowd of people who all have the same incomprehensible opinion.

Alright, you've got your opinion. So does everyone. I don't know why you're obsessed with mine.

The fact is, you read something, thought it meant something else, and then because you misapprehended one person's words, you claimed that there's a crowd of people who all have the same incomprehensible opinion.

Obsessed? All I did respond to your response.

Thankfully for all Gopher fans, Mitchell as a candidate is complete nonsense.

The irony is that if they actually did go on a sweet sixteen run, then he'll get hired by a larger program. We wouldn't have a chance at him.
I'm not sure about that, there's no "larger" or better jobs open. Bu it's likely irrelevant.

Sweet sixteen run at a Horizon League school might catch their attention.

Was all I was getting at anyway.
They want Stevens or Keith Smart it seems. I've even heard Steve Alford. They seem to be falling into the "Indiana Man" trap. The only name I've seen on their list that is on ours (marginally) is Belein.

They want Stevens or Keith Smart it seems. I've even heard Steve Alford. They seem to be falling into the "Indiana Man" trap. The only name I've seen on their list that is on ours (marginally) is Belein.
Alford won't happen. For being their star on a national championship team, he's really not that popular with the fan base.

Alford won't happen. For being their star on a national championship team, he's really not that popular with the fan base.
Had a doctor like that...everyone hated him but were overjoyed with his results.

Unfortunately Smiths Utah State team did not impress me.
I disagree. They had problems with shooting the three, but their defense and intensity was good. Like I said before, TT has a lot more talent.

I disagree. They had problems with shooting the three, but their defense and intensity was good. Like I said before, TT has a lot more talent.
The talent gap we saw today against a very good P5 team with an excellent coach is what concerns me. Can Smith recruit high level talent to consistently compete at that level, which is every game in the Big Ten and not just in the tournament?

Top Bottom