Next Gopher Head Coach

Probably makes more sense for him TBH.
Gates is from Chicago, right? Right down the road from Milwaukee. The draw of a private institution, that can pretty much accept anybody they'd like certainly has to have some draw. No worries about not filling your rental car with gas when contracts aren't public information...

Have to wonder how appealing is this job. Our next coach will be asked to outcoach and outrecruit the best coaches in the country in the best conference in the country. Not only that, with players leaving the program could be starting pretty much from scratch. Seems like there would be a lot of motivation for prospective coaches to consider other options than the gophers. Coyle will need to earn his money on this one. Easy for me to say i spose, but hopefully money doesnt become a determining factor as well.

Have to wonder how appealing is this job. Our next coach will be asked to outcoach and outrecruit the best coaches in the country in the best conference in the country. Not only that, with players leaving the program could be starting pretty much from scratch. Seems like there would be a lot of motivation for prospective coaches to consider other options than the gophers. Coyle will need to earn his money on this one. Easy for me to say i spose, but hopefully money doesnt become a determining factor as well.
Coyle might end up with a 2nd or 3rd tier coach like Pitino was.

It's almost like we need someone who likes to take on a challenge and is competitive, probably not many of those in college basketball.

I have to admit, watching Utah State outwork a Chris Beard team is mildly arousing.

Maybe Beard will use his "head coach sitting in the middle of the floor" strategy to pull out a win. Playing chess.

Coyle might end up with a 2nd or 3rd tier coach like Pitino was.

Still early i guess. Fleck and Whalen earn Coyle benefit of the doubt. Whoever we get will need to hit the ground running with recruiting

Pffft. It's a Big Ten job, a great institution with great facilities in the best, most prestigious basketball conference in the country. Plus the coach will become a millionaire.

It's a pretty stinking appealing job.

Take some stabs at this one...it wont be long and we will be searching for a new coach.

My short list:

Eric Mussleman - Arkansas (HC)
Andy Fox - Vanderbilt (Director of B-ball Operations - Worked under assistant coach Ed Conroy)
Niko Medved - HC Colorado St.
Man...I think the Gopher bb gig could get rolling good with the right coach but...I think we are setting ourself up for disappointment with wanting Musselman. I have a close cousin in NWA (Northwest Arkansas) and she is a diehard Hog fan. I’ve been to a bb game with her and her husband. My observations are:.... Sadly, I do not agree the gopher job is a lateral move from Arkansas. I counted 6 or 7 Final Four Banners in the rafters, The 1994 National Championship banner and 1995 runner up banner. The Hogs have been to 34 NCAA’s and have a better All- Time win% than Indiana (had to look that one up) Bud Walton arena is also amazing and state of the art and hold 20,000. NWA is consistently ranked a top 5 place to work live or retire. The one Final Four the Goohers have was taken away by the NCAA. The gopher job is a diamond in the rough but I’m just trying to keep it realistic.

Not very impressed with Utah State today. They’ve looked pretty overmatched on offense for most of the game.

Top Bottom