Next Gopher Head Coach

I think worst case scenario is we make Dutcher an offer he can’t refuse. I don’t see Coyle getting beyond his 3rd or 4th choice. Breathe easy and enjoy the tournament
Minnesota sports fans can't help it. At least Smith and Gates are likely to be available by the end of the night.

I would be intrigued to see Mitchell get the job, my concern with him though is like many others and that is recruiting. Not sure how kids are going to be receptive to his old school approach, he would need to be very particular with who he is recruiting and will probably need to be excellent at player development. Can't see him landing any high star talent based on his name but you never know. I feel he will have to win first, then his NBA experience may start attracting higher level talent.

Sam Mitchell has only coached one season out of the last 5, and that was as an assistant at underachieving Memphis. This is who people want to resurrect the Gophers? Yikes.
He's "One of us" and fits the Star Tribune's only criteria. That's about it. He would not even be remotely considered for any other power 6 job.

If Utah or Marquette wouldn't consider the coach you are considering, you're probably making a mistake. It's not that hard.

I could potentially wrap my head around Mitchell being the coach. I just don't think that is the route Coyle will go.
I'm actually shocked its gotten to this point. I'm not un-opposed to Sam.

However, I blame whatever poster brought his name up as to why we've gotten to this point

Moser is also going to be a factor in the Marquette situation
I would say Drake guy too. Both Catholic private schools .... but we all know Drake guy won't accept any job, no matter what, if he can't at least hit the state of Iowa with a flare gun from the campus.

So ... Craig Smith is officially available.

Minnesota or Utah?

I can see why Drake wants to keep him. He is a really good coach.

I agree, but there was a poster last night that thought he's a lousy coach because his team only scored 20 points in the first half. Other team only scored 21, but still.

So maybe he's not your's or others top candidate, but even taking him seriously is a little ridiculous.

He wouldn't be a legitimate candidate anywhere for a P6 job, and thankfully he's not here either.
Oh, you're moving the goal line, GWG. I said I take him seriously as a candidate, but I never said I want him as coach. I said I favor Dutcher, Smith, and Musselman, in that order. Find somebody else to credit those words to, dude.

Not very impressed with Utah State today. They’ve looked pretty overmatched on offense for most of the game.
They have a lot less talent than TT. Tech has had the 11th and 16th top recruiting classes the last two years. Utah State has been 115th and 69th...

There were 3 posters just in this thread that said it.
And they should be blamed.

Doogie saw it on here, and thought it would be a good idea.

Star Trib caught wind that Doogie brought it up.

Star Trib thought it would be a good idea to ask Sam himself

And he responds, "F yeah I'm interested in the Minnesota job, it's a hidden gem"

Oh, you're moving the goal line, GWG. I said I take him seriously as a candidate, but I never said I want him as coach. I said I favor Dutcher, Smith, and Musselman, in that order. Find somebody else to credit those words to, dude.

You said you take him seriously and like him a lot. Yet now you don't want him as a head coach. That doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom