Next Gopher Head Coach

Cleveland St looking really bad. Sloppy shots all over the place.

Mikwaukee up in the first half.

Dutcher with Saunders as asst. in waiting

Thanks for the heads up! I hereby declare Monday basketball day at my house. Besides the Cleveland State tilt, it's senior night for my neice. She's closing in on 1,000 points in her HS career, and she might go over the top in this game.
OK, so she has 17 points late in the game, 998 for her career, needs two to hit the milestone...and she misses a breakaway layup as time expires! 😫

Needless to say, she's dying of embarrassment. My sister is joking that she should've shot the 3.

MN is definitely going on the cheap. No donors for the RP buyout and a low budget in the AD because of Covid. I saw tiers but he’s what’s realistic IMO.

Established coaches: Sam Mitchell, Ryan Saunders, Tim Miles. (None of them need the money but assume they want to be back into coaching as a head coach).

Rising Coaches: Darian DeVries, Dennis Gates, Craig Smith. ($1.7-2M could entice them and the U isn’t going much higher).

Gophers can’t afford Mussleman, Dutcher. Nedved can get a better job, higher paying job then the Gophers.

MN is definitely going on the cheap. No donors for the RP buyout and a low budget in the AD because of Covid. I saw tiers but he’s what’s realistic IMO.

Established coaches: Sam Mitchell, Ryan Saunders, Tim Miles. (None of them need the money but assume they want to be back into coaching as a head coach).

Rising Coaches: Darian DeVries, Dennis Gates, Craig Smith. ($1.7-2M could entice them and the U isn’t going much higher).

Gophers can’t afford Mussleman, Dutcher. Nedved can get a better job, higher paying job then the Gophers.

I agree with all this other than how Medved can get a higher paying job than Smith. Not seeing a big differentiator there.

Huh? What better job is Niko going to get? 1.7-2.4m a year seems to be the going rate for new coaches coming into a high major job.

Rick Pitino Sr. New head coach for mn. Yes or no?
Well, we could keep continuity with our court side track suit guy......

I've heard it's hard to find and secure the good ones.

You don't think U can get Dutcher for $2M?

Gates and Beilein reportedly in the mix for the Penn State vacancy. That might just be wish list material or speculation, but my takeaway is that Gates might end up with multiple opportunities and potentially competition for his services.

I still don't think $$$ will be an object with the kind of money the B1G contracts bring in.

Gates and Beilein reportedly in the mix for the Penn State vacancy. That might just be wish list material or speculation, but my takeaway is that Gates might end up with multiple opportunities and potentially competition for his services.
I kind of hope so. I like the three Mountain West coaches. The order changes by the day, but I'd be happy with any of them. I'd be okay with Gates, but it's such a short track record; he's a half-step below for me.

My dark horse candidate is Porter Moser from Loyola. He has a national reputation. Plays a style of basketball that can work in the Big Ten.

My dark horse candidate is Porter Moser from Loyola. He has a national reputation. Plays a style of basketball that can work in the Big Ten.
My prediction is Porter Moser will be the hire.

I want someone who can employ the Princeton Offense.

If you hire from that list of "established coaches( I would argue only 1 of them is established), you will lose this program entirely.

Sam Mitchell - knows losing, Tim Miles - knows losing, Ryan Saunder - knows losing and doesn't know anything else.

I would be strongly AGAINST hiring any of those 3. If you are going to make reaches like that, then I think you are better off scouring the D2 D3 wire in Minnesota or even the HS ranks. Yuck, puke Gag to all 3 of those options.

If you hire from that list of "established coaches( I would argue only 1 of them is established), you will lose this program entirely.

Sam Mitchell - knows losing, Tim Miles - knows losing, Ryan Saunder - knows losing and doesn't know anything else.

I would be strongly AGAINST hiring any of those 3. If you are going to make reaches like that, then I think you are better off scouring the D2 D3 wire in Minnesota or even the HS ranks. Yuck, puke Gag to all 3 of those options.

Porter Mosher knows losing, Niko Medved knows losing, Craig Smith knows losing, Coach K knows losing, Bill Belichick knows losing.... While I agree many of those aren't fully established in the earlier list, some guys can come back from a bad tenure because they learned from their mistakes. I think Tim Miles and Saunders do better in their next job, whenever that may be.

Not sold on Saunders. At least Tim Miles can hold a press conference and sound intelligent. Saunders, not so much.

Top Bottom