Next Gopher Head Coach

Porter Mosher knows losing, Niko Medved knows losing, Craig Smith knows losing, Coach K knows losing, Bill Belichick knows losing.... While I agree many of those aren't fully established in the earlier list, some guys can come back from a bad tenure because they learned from their mistakes. I think Tim Miles and Saunders do better in their next job, whenever that may be.

Actually, you just named some Big Time winners. Medved and Mosher have lost of the most of that bunch, but the others are perennial winners, first place trophy holders.

I don't care if those other guys MIGHT do something somewhere else. The fact is, they haven't, ever, won.
Give me a D3 coach that has won a ton rather than those guys. Iron sharpens Iron, winners win.
Garbage men handle garbage.

Porter Mosher knows losing, Niko Medved knows losing, Craig Smith knows losing, Coach K knows losing, Bill Belichick knows losing.... While I agree many of those aren't fully established in the earlier list, some guys can come back from a bad tenure because they learned from their mistakes. I think Tim Miles and Saunders do better in their next job, whenever that may be.
Miles won until Nebraska, and he never should have taken that job ($$$$). He was good prior. We'll see if Hoiberg can turn them.

He was right at the time... perhaps not so much about the NBA potential of many on the roster but of the potential of the roster. A thread like this in November is a dirt bag effort. Can we never enjoy the moment?
dirt bag effort? cmon, we all know this was called for then and is now. Enjoy what moment? Have you enjoyed the Gopher basketball program the last 1/2decade? and even longer?

Well we know there are at least 2 girl posters here...GopherLady and alaska. No dude would bring up stuff from the past to show they're right like this.
The point was that nothing was going to save Rich Pitino. He has not done even a decent job. Period, and there are some many apologetics for medicrity. Do you not want more out of your program?

I cant imagine what people will say if there is some sort of two game winning streak in the conference tournament. Everyone will be on Rich's balls again and want him back. Its so weak minded.

Could Bielema actually be helping MN land Musselman as the new coach? If he wins his lawsuit, Arkansas will have a $7M tab to pay. That'd be $7M less in money they have to up Musselman's contract. Of course, the lawsuit will be decided well after we've landed a new coach, but still, the $7M possible probable payout has to be factored in someway into their future plans.

Actually, you just named some Big Time winners. Medved and Mosher have lost of the most of that bunch, but the others are perennial winners, first place trophy holders.

I don't care if those other guys MIGHT do something somewhere else. The fact is, they haven't, ever, won.
Give me a D3 coach that has won a ton rather than those guys. Iron sharpens Iron, winners win.
Garbage men handle garbage.

Sam Mitchell turned around a Toronto Raptors team in 2 years and took them to the playoffs in back to back seasons. His firing from Toronto was questioned and the guy who replaced him did worse. So he has won before.

Tim Miles rose through the ranks and won at every job he's had. He even got two top 4 finishes at Nebraska.

Overcoming adversity of losing can be beneficial too.

The point was that nothing was going to save Rich Pitino. He has not done even a decent job. Period, and there are some many apologetics for medicrity. Do you not want more out of your program?

I cant imagine what people will say if there is some sort of two game winning streak in the conference tournament. Everyone will be on Rich's balls again and want him back. Its so weak minded.
The point I'm making is its annoying to dig up some posts from 4 months ago. Was anyone even saying that Pitino has done a decent job or that we want him around if he wins two games in the BTT? I haven't seen that in the last month.

I saw you poking at people's replies to your comments 4 months ago to stir the pot.

Richard Pitino did a decent job the first year and a half when his father was sitting in the first row behind the bench and in talking distance to call out instructions. Once he didn't show up for games any quality of play was gone as well.

No chance. Most folks here want the change, even if he won the B10 tournament.

Sam Mitchell turned around a Toronto Raptors team in 2 years and took them to the playoffs in back to back seasons. His firing from Toronto was questioned and the guy who replaced him did worse. So he has won before.

Tim Miles rose through the ranks and won at every job he's had. He even got two top 4 finishes at Nebraska.

Overcoming adversity of losing can be beneficial too.
I honestly didn't realize that Miles had two 4th place Big Ten finishes at Nebraska. I am not sure Coach K could do that.

No. The Gophers being interested helps Dutcher negotiating a raise at SDSU.
Really? It's double his current salary and I believe he is the highest paid in the conference and one of the highest paid non P6 head coaches.

Could Bielema actually be helping MN land Musselman as the new coach? If he wins his lawsuit, Arkansas will have a $7M tab to pay. That'd be $7M less in money they have to up Musselman's contract. Of course, the lawsuit will be decided well after we've landed a new coach, but still, the $7M possible probable payout has to be factored in someway into their future plans.
I don't think they need to up his salary so don't see the impact.

MN is definitely going on the cheap. No donors for the RP buyout and a low budget in the AD because of Covid. I saw tiers but he’s what’s realistic IMO.

Established coaches: Sam Mitchell, Ryan Saunders, Tim Miles. (None of them need the money but assume they want to be back into coaching as a head coach).

Rising Coaches: Darian DeVries, Dennis Gates, Craig Smith. ($1.7-2M could entice them and the U isn’t going much higher).

Gophers can’t afford Mussleman, Dutcher. Nedved can get a better job, higher paying job then the Gophers.
Nedved would take this job in a second wouldn’t he? I think the 3 rising coaches you mentioned are all better coaches than Nedved.

dirt bag effort? cmon, we all know this was called for then and is now. Enjoy what moment? Have you enjoyed the Gopher basketball program the last 1/2decade? and even longer?
There is a time for every conversation. Starting a "who will be the next head coach?" thread at the very start of the season is weak. Period. Enjoying the games means exactly that. Venting one's spleen in November about the coach does not add to enjoyment. Starting about three weeks ago this became a serious subject as it was at the ends of some previous years.

There is a time for every conversation. Starting a "who will be the next head coach?" thread at the very start of the season is weak. Period. Enjoying the games means exactly that. Venting one's spleen in November about the coach does not add to enjoyment. Starting about three weeks ago this became a serious subject as it was at the ends of some previous years.
There should have been constant, unrelenting calls to can Pitino for at least 2 years now. Loud enough that Coyle couldn't ignore them, or kick the obvious can down the road any farther.

We might already have Musselman and not have had to endure the past couple years.

Apologists such as yourself owe the rest of us an apology, not the other way around.

Richard Pitino did a decent job the first year and a half when his father was sitting in the first row behind the bench and in talking distance to call out instructions. Once he didn't show up for games any quality of play was gone as well.
Rick even had a young guy running messages up to Richard! It seemed preposterous. I witnessed it a few times earlier in his tenure.

Rick even had a young guy running messages up to Richard! It seemed preposterous. I witnessed it a few times earlier in his tenure.
This is why I've always said to play the ball and not let it play you. You don't have to wait til Richard has the one bad year that "justifies" his dismissal. We've all known for some time that this was going nowhere under him, and we've known that Musselman was a rising star and could've been gotten. He who hesitates is lost.

There should have been constant, unrelenting calls to can Pitino for at least 2 years now. Loud enough that Coyle couldn't ignore them, or kick the obvious can down the road any farther.

We might already have Musselman and not have had to endure the past couple years.

Apologists such as yourself owe the rest of us an apology, not the other way around.
I did my part. I wasn't loud about it, but I was consistent.

Actually I wanted the U to hire him after his stint with the Bulls.
You have a chance with a strong PG and a decent big man. Hoiberg soon will have both, and he's got some other piece parts that will make them interesting in next couple years.

You have a chance with a strong PG and a decent big man. Hoiberg soon will have both, and he's got some other piece parts that will make them interesting in next couple years.
It's true.

With his current squad they have shown a big improvement from the beginning of the year

Top Bottom