News on Shaka Smart

Update coming at the bottom of the hour.

6f6.gif

I want to make a contribution to this glorious thread: I think our "Richmond Insider" is about as much an insider as I am an insider for North Korea. It is fun to see all the fun he has brought to this board though. Perhaps the fight can still take place. I'm assuming that bar is open 7 days a week?

Miles doesn't have the ability to attract big time recruits right now...he may in the future, but not now...I think he'll take 4 or 5 years to build up a program. Do we have the patience for that? I say no.

That's a key factor, obviously, and I agree.

Nobody likes Tim Miles as a coach more than I do, and I was one of the few - even after the Tubby hire - who wished we had hired him instead. He was and is such a perfect fit for this program that I can't believe it never happened. All that said, that ship sailed once when we hired Tubby and twice when he went to Nebraska. He's a Cornhusker now. I expect him to be very successful there and make basketball a big deal there.

Flip or Shaka is like choosing between ribs, pizza or tacos - there is no bad choice there. As a Gopher fan, I can only wonder what will go wrong to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory (another Gilligan's Island line).
Speak for yourself. I hate Mexican food.

Where's the 11:00 update? Did vcuinsider get beat up last night? Worried about his health right now.

I'm not getting any work done. Too busy hitting refresh on this thread. I live in Nebraska and I can confirm that Shaka is not here. Also, my sources tell me they have no connections to Tim Miles, so I can't help in that regard.

I want to make a contribution to this glorious thread: I think our "Richmond Insider" is about as much an insider as I am an insider for North Korea. It is fun to see all the fun he has brought to this board though. Perhaps the fight can still take place. I'm assuming that bar is open 7 days a week?

My god. You're Dennis Rodman!!

You are? Can you give us some golf tips on how to shoot 5 holes in one your first time on a golf course?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just saw this on twitter.....can't tell if real or not...looks real to me but I'm no expert

Just a thought. It is very possible the boosters with the money are pushing for Flip. As the saying goes, "Money Talks".

Just saw this on twitter.....can't tell if real or not...looks real to me but I'm no expert

Shaka sporten a backpack and a Gopher T Shirt and taken pics with kids sporten gopher basketball shirts before anything was officially announced.....

Yeaaaa.. No.

I'm not getting any work done. Too busy hitting refresh on this thread. I live in Nebraska and I can confirm that Shaka is not here. Also, my sources tell me they have no connections to Tim Miles, so I can't help in that regard.

That's a big state. Are you sure he's not in that museum thing that is built across I-80?

With the right assistants, Flip is the kill shot. If the $$$ are there he would bring the right ones in and lock down the $$$ for the mandatory practice facility. Alumni with $$$ would just love Phil. Alumni without $$$ love Shaka. We must have the practice facility to compete. I encourage everyone to send their nickles and dimes in dedicated to the practice facility regardless who is hired.

No one will bring this team to the next level without recruiting future NBA stars.

With that in mind, I would support a search committee of Jones, Vaughn, and Travis. LOL

The Cretin golf coach was served as an excellent thread warmer!

But was probably still working off that Groth tweet from last night.

It's shopped, I can tell by the ... pixels.

Let's be real. "VCU is building" means "VCU hopes to build...sometime in the future, time and date TBD".

Firing a coach the day after the season ends isn't botching anything. Tubby is well liked as a person. For the program, his firing had to be done.
How about this spring?

Tubby had to go, but don't pretend that the negative media fallout was by design. You really think that was all part of Norwood's plan? Regardless, Brad was the #1 target from the start.

Miles doesn't have the ability to attract big time recruits right now...he may in the future, but not now...I think he'll take 4 or 5 years to build up a program. Do we have the patience for that? I say no.

Valid point.

I'd put myself in the camp of wanting us to make the best long-term hire, not the sexiest one right now (Smart) or the one that gives us the best chance to land 1 (or more) of the Big 3 in the next few months (Flip).

What I like about our situation is whoever we get isn't coming into a "basement situation" like most new coaches are. There are some solid, experienced pieces in place. ... Hollins, Hollins, Coleman, EE. Throw in a couple wildcards (Buggs, Mo, whoever our recruits end up being) and it's not all doom & gloom. Pieces that can contend for a top-4 finish in the B1G? No, but enough in place to finish somewhere near the middle of the conference pack, which in our conference quite often means a NCAA bid.

Saw this yesterday and it is photoshoped and the picture is from earlier this year at the Atlantis tournament.

Top Bottom