NDSU or Iowa

Parts of it. They are also beatable, but Lincoln is the toughest road environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that's where we play this year... We better clean up our pre-snap penalties before that game.

Unfortunately that's where we play this year... We better clean up our pre-snap penalties before that game.

We can drop that game and still accomplish our goals.

We can drop that game and still accomplish our goals.

Very true but then we need Nebraska to drop 2 other games. I think they play at wisconsin and Iowa. Was their OSU game on the road too? It gets tricky because we would also need wisconsin and iowa to lose games. That is unless we beat them both and only lose to Nebraska.

Very true but then we need Nebraska to drop 2 other games. I think they play at wisconsin and Iowa. Was their OSU game on the road too? It gets tricky because we would also need wisconsin and iowa to lose games. That is unless we beat them both and only lose to Nebraska.[/QUOTE

Although they were losses, last year showed me we can play in tough road game environments. Turning the corner means not backing into the West title and winning those tough road games.

Although they were losses, last year showed me we can play in tough road game environments. Turning the corner means not backing into the West title and winning those tough road games.

True and to be fair, going back to the Mason days, when the Gophers beat a favored team, the vast majority of times it was on the road.

Parts of it. They are also beatable, but Lincoln is the toughest road environment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RkGUowLRF5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have to admit, NDSU surprised me. Unlike the other times, this one had no excuses (Brewster, first year for Kill, new QB for Collin Klein). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. They did it how they usually do it; smart play & ball control.

No other answer other than to credit the Bison for what they did.

I have to admit, NDSU surprised me. Unlike the other times, this one had no excuses (Brewster, first year for Kill, new QB for Collin Klein). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. They did it how they usually do it; smart play & ball control.

No more halo effect for Iowa...cost the school what, another $16M?

I have to agree, I thought Iowa would beat up on NDSU and for a minute in the 2nd quarter it looked like it would happen.

Yesterday turned out to be about a best case scenario. We got to watch Iowa lose to a FCS team, and from a national prospective the B1G was still propped up by Nebraska, Michigan St, and Ohio St. wins.

Combination of NDSU being pretty good in the trenches, Easton stick playing out of his mind, Iowa reportedly having injury issues on their O line, perplexing play selection in the second half (sound familiar), and Iowa was ground down late in the 4th by lopsided TOP. They out-Iowa'd Iowa, and Ferentz went conservative with a small lead that didnt work out. He chose to trust his defense to hold,which was GASSED, on that last drive. Really pretty frustrating for Iowa but delightful for me. They're stuck with walrus ball.

Congratulations to NDSU!

Makes you wonder how this happens without any scholarship kids recruiting in an area where football talent isn't very thick.

Evidently, their admission standards must be pretty low to get athletes the U of M can not get into school.

Congratulations to NDSU!

Makes you wonder how this happens without any scholarship kids recruiting in an area where football talent isn't very thick.

Evidently, their admission standards must be pretty low to get athletes the U of M can not get into school.

Going to assume you didn't read much of the thread and not just trolling...not sure what you mean by "without any scholarship kids".

Going to assume you didn't read much of the thread and not just trolling...not sure what you mean by "without any scholarship kids".

They don't give out Division 1 / Big Ten level scholarships offering free rides.

They don't give out Division 1 / Big Ten level scholarships offering free rides.

Really...

D-I football programs are divided into FBS and FCS. FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals. Maybe do a little research before posting next time.

Really...

D-I football programs are divided into FBS and FCS. FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals. Maybe do a little research before posting next time.

Dude he's trolling...

Bleep the FCS. They're 1-AA as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously, you have to respect NDSU for what they've accomplished. But, there's still a big difference between playing one D1 opponent, and playing a full D1 schedule. Given the financial issues in North Dakota, I don't see NDSU trying to move up to full D1 status. They would have to expand the Dome or build a new stadium, not to mention the cost of upgrading to 85 scholarships, etc. Unless they come up with the 1-AA version of Phil Knight to bankroll the deal, NDSU is going to stay as a big fish in a little pond.

Seriously, you have to respect NDSU for what they've accomplished. But, there's still a big difference between playing one D1 opponent, and playing a full D1 schedule. Given the financial issues in North Dakota, I don't see NDSU trying to move up to full D1 status. They would have to expand the Dome or build a new stadium, not to mention the cost of upgrading to 85 scholarships, etc. Unless they come up with the 1-AA version of Phil Knight to bankroll the deal, NDSU is going to stay as a big fish in a little pond.

So...yeah...they've always both been D1. 1A, 1AA.

Interesting that Iowa stayed in the coaches' top 25 with a loss to the FCS...I wonder if that has ever happened before.

Interesting that Iowa stayed in the coaches' top 25 with a loss to the FCS...I wonder if that has ever happened before.

Voters hate to be horribly wrong. Human nature. It won't be long till they're not there anymore.

Billy turner, Marcus Williams, John Crockett (all Minneapolis recruits ), Carson. Wentz...etc. academics is a lame excuse...remember Jeff jones? NDSU recruits and develops players Better than the U right now. Their walk on program puts ours to shame. Quit making excuses for Minnesota.

As already stated, Marcus Williams is the perfect example of exactly what I am talking about. My point wasn't that a majority of the players couldn't be admitted to the U but to say we could have recruited every single player on their roster is not the reality either. Not an excuse, it is just the truth. Pointing it out doesn't mean I think it is unfair or anything. Relax.

Not sure how you can say they recruit better than the U. Maybe you mean relative to their level? Strictly looking at talent when it comes to recruiting, it isn't even close. Of course talent alone doesn't equal success. If we can develop talent the way they do, then look out.

As for the walk on program, I can't say one way or another because I don't know much about their players. I do know that Kill/Claeys have done a great job with building the walk on program since coming to Minnesota.

Michigan dropped out of the top 25 after their loss to App state. And they fell from #5.

"Wanna beat Michigan? We've got an App for that".

Not sure how you can say they recruit better than the U. Maybe you mean relative to their level? Strictly looking at talent when it comes to recruiting, it isn't even close. Of course talent alone doesn't equal success. If we can develop talent the way they do, then look out.

I would also say that evaluation of football recruits coming out of high school appears to be a far more inexact science than basketball recruiting. There are a lot of players on the field, they don't play so many games, they don't have a bunch of traveling AAU teams playing elite teams from various places, they don't have many elite prep school football programs playing elite national teams regularly, they don't have as many national camps, and the players mature later in the sport.

You don't see very many players in the NBA from lower tier NCAA programs but you see a lot more of those players in the NFL and a fair number of them are high performing players.

I would also say that evaluation of football recruits coming out of high school appears to be a far more inexact science than basketball recruiting. There are a lot of players on the field, they don't play so many games, they don't have a bunch of traveling AAU teams playing elite teams from various places, they don't have many elite prep school football programs playing elite national teams regularly, they don't have as many national camps, and the players mature later in the sport.

You don't see very many players in the NBA from lower tier NCAA programs but you see a lot more of those players in the NFL and a fair number of them are high performing players.

Your argument ignores the mass number of NFL vs NBA players.

Rip Van just woke from a 10 year nap. keep Incorrectly referring to IAA Rip. Ignorance is bliss.

Rip Van just woke from a 10 year nap. keep Incorrectly referring to IAA Rip. Ignorance is bliss.

Honest question - when they changed the name from I-AA to FCS, was it a change in name only or did other things go with the name change?

Don't take it as a slight. I still refer to Macy's as Dayton's. I don't think Macy's is offended.

Top Bottom