Nate Andrews Commits UPDATED 12/18: Alabama offers Andrews

It doesn't prove much to me, just shows he can offer a couple guys before Bama and LSU do. Pretty sure Andrews was a known commodity, FSU offered him back in february, he attended Bama's junior day. Just cause they get a Bama or LSU offer doesn't elevate their talent level. They probably didn't get offered by bama and LSU right away because those schools are focusing on such a high level of recruit until the last few months of the recruiting season.

In the words of 1500AM "Garage Logic", We don't know that.

LOL - I give it till the end of the week before we see his decommit. We all know that he's gone.
You have lived in Minnesota too long. Ye of little faith. The Minnesota way is to be a pessimist and you fit that bill.

If Nate Andrews does, in fact commit to another school. I wonder which one of the posters on this thread will be the first to post "called it".

It's really an adorable game.

It is true that it will be tough to keep Bama from snagging him away but he was extremely excited about his visit prior to committing, even tweeting something along the lines of "I can't wait to go back to Minnesota!" so it isn't impossible. I'm not going to hold my breath but I think we still have a realistic shot at signing Mr. Andrews and if we do, how awesome will it be to have a commit with an offer from arguably the best program in the country?

I would guess that playing time would be easier to come by at Minnesota than Alabama. Hopefully, he sticks with his commitment to Minnesota. I couldn't really blame him for switching though, he's from Alabama and Alabama right now is the top program in the country.

It is true that it will be tough to keep Bama from snagging him away but he was extremely excited about his visit prior to committing, even tweeting something along the lines of "I can't wait to go back to Minnesota!" so it isn't impossible. I'm not going to hold my breath but I think we still have a realistic shot at signing Mr. Andrews and if we do, how awesome will it be to have a commit with an offer from arguably the best program in the country?

He was also extremely excited about his recent offer from Tennessee.

That is good to see. I hope it isn't just a ploy.

There's a lot to love about the U of M!

Well thats nice to hear but that could all change once he goes on his visit. Really hope he stays with the maroon and gold though, he seems like a playmaker.

Well thats nice to hear but that could all change once he goes on his visit. Really hope he stays with the maroon and gold though, he seems like a playmaker.
I understand that they do pay well in the SEC.

LOL - I give it till the end of the week before we see his decommit. We all know that he's gone.

On the surface, one might think that, but it is not always the case. There are quite a few very good players that sit on the bench at those top recruiting schools. Not because they are not good players, it's because they have another good player locked into that position ahead of them. They may get a chance to play if some gets hurt. What makes those schools so good is that they have all those good players riding the bench just hoping to get on the field. When those schools offer this late it is either to fill in a whole or to add depth. At Minnesota he will start for several years and have the chance to make an impact in the B1G. At Minnesota they expect him to play and have an impact, at Alabama they expect him to fill in if they need him. It is not a matter of shying away from competition, it is more a case of opportunity. The spotlight in the B1G shines very bright and all of the pro scouts will find him if he has the ability to play in the NFL.

If Nate Andrews does in fact STAY committed to the U, i wonder which one of the posters on this thread will be the first to post "I told you so, you pessimists".

It's also a really adorable game.

If Nate Andrews does, in fact commit to another school. I wonder which one of the posters on this thread will be the first to post "called it".

It's really an adorable game.

If Nate Andrews is still committed on 12.22.12, I wonder which one of the posters on this thread will be the first to post "I told you so, Mayans."

On the surface, one might think that, but it is not always the case. There are quite a few very good players that sit on the bench at those top recruiting schools. Not because they are not good players, it's because they have another good player locked into that position ahead of them. They may get a chance to play if some gets hurt. What makes those schools so good is that they have all those good players riding the bench just hoping to get on the field. When those schools offer this late it is either to fill in a whole or to add depth. At Minnesota he will start for several years and have the chance to make an impact in the B1G. At Minnesota they expect him to play and have an impact, at Alabama they expect him to fill in if they need him. It is not a matter of shying away from competition, it is more a case of opportunity. The spotlight in the B1G shines very bright and all of the pro scouts will find him if he has the ability to play in the NFL.

+1

Well said and agree...just think of Robert Woods at USC, before last year he was playing at a level which put him top 10 draft wise and was widely noticed. This year, someone new comes in and he is second fiddle and may have a tough time getting drafted in the first round.

Well said and agree...just think of Robert Woods at USC, before last year he was playing at a level which put him top 10 draft wise and was widely noticed. This year, someone new comes in and he is second fiddle and may have a tough time getting drafted in the first round.

Marqise Lee was there last year as well (had 11 TDs, over 70 receptions and over 1000 yards). I think Marqise Lee and Matt Barkley (both premier talents) probably helped Robert Woods stock more than it hurt it.

I think our best chance at this kid is if Saban leaves. If Saban is still around next season, I'd be shocked if Andrews doesn't end up at Alabama and he probably should end up there (I love the Gophers, but I think playing for Saban in his homestate is an opportunity that he should not pass up).

I know this isn't a great comparison because it looks like Andrews is being recruited as a DB, but did find it interesting. Looking at the current Top 20 WR (yardage) in the NFL, these are the schools they went to. 11 of the 20 came from non-BCS conference programs (counting Utah as they were not in the PAC-12 when Steve Smith was there) or below average BCS conference programs (MN and Kentucky).

Alabama
Alabama-Birmingham
Central Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech
Hofstra
Kentucky
Kentucky
Miami
Miami
Minnesota
Monmouth
Mount Union
Northern Colorado
Ohio St.
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
UMass
Utah

Your chances of making it to the NFL (which I have to believe is the ultimate goal of many recruits) is probably greater if you go to top programs like Alabama, but it's pretty common for players of bad or small programs to get to the next level.

Your chances of making it to the NFL (which I have to believe is the ultimate goal of many recruits) is probably greater if you go to top programs like Alabama, but it's pretty common for players of bad or small programs to get to the next level.

No doubt. Here are the top 20 RBs as well, for comparison:

Alabama
Boise State
Cal
Clemson
East Carolina
Iowa
LSU
Marshall
Miami
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Oregon State
Pitt
Rutgers
Tennessee
Texas
Tulane
USC

Although not as pronounced, 5 of 20 came from non-BCS and 6 came from I would call non-power teams from BCS conferences (Cal, Iowa, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, Rutgers).

The point is, if you are talented and work hard, the NFL will find you, regardless of where you go to play.

Pierre Garcon went to a D III school. Mt. Union which is the most dominate program in college football in thier level of play. If you have talent, the NFL will find you.

Pierre Garcon went to a D III school. Mt. Union which is the most dominate program in college football in thier level of play. If you have talent, the NFL will find you.

DIII--as did Fred Jackson of the Bills. Coe College (Cedar Rapids, IA)

wrong for so many reasons but I like your optimism.

That may be helpful if Andrews wants to play WR and if Kill is recruiting him for that position but from what I have read Alabama wants him as a DB. So who knows.

Well can't hurt that he's giving it some thought. The huge selling point has to be playing time. Odds of him seeing significant playing time here...probably upwards of 80% especially since he could probably play on either side of the ball. The chance of that at Bama is probably like 20%. He'd have a chance to play as a freshman here, I highly doubt he'd get a chance to do that at Bama. Andrews would be among the lowest rated players this class for Bama.

I don't know that kids pay all that much attention to their star ratings. They just plan on proving they are better than their ratings. Heisman winner Johnny Football was a 3-star. If Andrews always dreamed of playing for his home state, he'll go to Alabama. If he wants to get away from home and/or if he is sold on Kill, he'll come here. Time will tell.

I don't know that kids pay all that much attention to their star ratings. They just plan on proving they are better than their ratings. Heisman winner Johnny Football was a 3-star. If Andrews always dreamed of playing for his home state, he'll go to Alabama. If he wants to get away from home and/or if he is sold on Kill, he'll come here. Time will tell.

Manziel wouldn't have started at Bama this year either. If Andrews isn't paying attention to the depth of Bama, I would assume Kill would bring it to his attention.

A lot depends on factors we don't know. Bobby Bowden once said about recruiting ' I recruit the mom and get her on my side' so there's a whole list of things. What's his relationship with the recruiters? How attractive is moving away? Who is his mother pushing for? How important are academics? How important is playing time? At least being that we are in a quiet period he'll have some time to figure out his priorities.

A lot depends on factors we don't know. Bobby Bowden once said about recruiting ' I recruit the mom and get her on my side' so there's a whole list of things. What's his relationship with the recruiters? How attractive is moving away? Who is his mother pushing for? How important are academics? How important is playing time? At least being that we are in a quiet period he'll have some time to figure out his priorities.

i'm gonna go with about 900% positive that his momma would like to see him at Bama. If he likes any of the other factors you listed more in Minny, let's hope his mom doesn't have massive swaying power

i'm gonna go with about 900% positive that his momma would like to see him at Bama. If he likes any of the other factors you listed more in Minny, let's hope his mom doesn't have massive swaying power

I dunno, some would want their kids to get away and see something different. Every kid presents a different situation.

Top Bottom