MLB Hot Stove League = Player Movement & Innuendo

howeda7

Reaction score
I remember when Killebrew getting $100,000 a year from the Twins was a big deal. Shoot, Calvin used to cut a player's salary if they had a bad year.

Then they got rid of that pesky reserve clause, and the sport went to hell.
The Twins made Kirby Puckett the highest paid player in baseball when he signed his last contract. I think it was $3 million/year.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
The Twins made Kirby Puckett the highest paid player in baseball when he signed his last contract. I think it was $3 million/year.
That wasn't his last contract. That was in 1989. His next one was 5 years, and 30 million, which I think made him highest paid again. Probably for just a day or two...

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
So they're going to expand the playoffs to 12 or 14 teams? What a phucking joke.

Baseball was my favorite sport for decades.

Now they want to render the regular season meaninglessness, play until Thanksgiving, blah blah blah.

The game has become a disgrace.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Bundy isn't exciting but they needed more than one starter. Low risk move I guess.

tmvander

Reaction score
Bundy probably will be like the Homer Bailey signing from a few years ago. Only reason he'll pitch is because we need a body on the mound.

Breakin' The Plane

Reaction score
There will be a season. If Bundy is higher than the #3 starter it will be a long one.
LaVelle said after the season that the front office's priority was to go out and make Joe Ryan and Bailey Ober your 4th and 5th starters. Not exactly off to a blazing start and there aren't many 1, 2, or 3 starters left. If there's a season, it sure feels like it's going to be a disaster.

howeda7

Reaction score
LaVelle said after the season that the front office's priority was to go out and make Joe Ryan and Bailey Ober your 4th and 5th starters. Not exactly off to a blazing start and there aren't many 1, 2, or 3 starters left. If there's a season, it sure feels like it's going to be a disaster.
They were still "formulating their plan" while other teams were snapping up every starter worth a damn. I guess they massively misjudged how quickly the market would go. Just more incompetence on top of incompetence. The only thing they can do now is trade for a couple starters, but we know they cling to their prospects like grim death.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I can't find the quote, but I remember reading an article where either Falvey or Levine was saying they were planning to acquire pitching through trades instead of the free-agent market. They claim they have spoken to a number of teams about potential deals. we'll see.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
I can't find the quote, but I remember reading an article where either Falvey or Levine was saying they were planning to acquire pitching through trades instead of the free-agent market. They claim they have spoken to a number of teams about potential deals. we'll see.
No trades thanks to the lockout, unless it's strictly minor leaguers involved.

There won't be enough time to make a deal before the season starts. They bamboozled everyone with that lie.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
No trades thanks to the lockout, unless it's strictly minor leaguers involved.

There won't be enough time to make a deal before the season starts. They bamboozled everyone with that lie.

it all depends on the timing. whenever they agree to a new CBA, there will have to be some type of a time-table for teams to finalize rosters. without going through the roster of every team, I would bet that a lot of teams have incomplete rosters at this point. So, I assume that there will be some type of a window to make deals and sign players before the season starts - a couple of weeks at the very least.

Once rosters are set, that would have to be followed by some type of "Spring Training" period of at least 3 weeks.

Ope3

Reaction score
The Mets hired Buck Showalter as Manager, for a franchise struggling for competency & credibility, pretty shrewd move.

Top Bottom