Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

Every school has free and reduced factored into their classification calculation.

after it was factored in, they were 6a and then moved down to 5a anyways.
I guess those Hopkins and Armstrong kids were just too rich to get the same schedule as coon rapids
Made a better pitch to the committee I guess. I heard the Hockey pitch to move down to single A didn't go as well.

The free/reduced lunch stats are public info:
Coon Rapids High: 38.68%
Hopkins High: 28.18%
Armstrong High: 34.37%

Just for reference, some other schools that we've discussed here.
Park Center: 46.07%
Cooper: 60.92%
Spring Lake Park: 30.54%
Osseo: 33.27%
Centennial: 10.22%

The highest percentage of any regular (non-charter/magnet) public high school in the metro I saw was St.Paul Humboldt at 89.12%

The lowest in the metro is Waconia, at 4.2%

Here's the list.

The free/reduced lunch stats are public info:
Coon Rapids High: 38.68%
Hopkins High: 28.18%
Armstrong High: 34.37%

Just for reference, some other schools that we've discussed here.
Park Center: 46.07%
Cooper: 60.92%
Spring Lake Park: 30.54%
Osseo: 33.27%
Centennial: 10.22%

The highest percentage of any regular (non-charter/magnet) public high school in the metro I saw was St.Paul Humboldt at 89.12%

The lowest in the metro is Waconia, at 4.2%

Here's the list.
Free and reduced lunch kids only partially count towards your school enrollment. By moving anyone down a class based on free and reduced lunch count is to say that your own counting mechanism is broken.

... huh?

Hint, since you appear to need things more on the nose: making fun of someone/something, especially those that deserve to be made fun of, in no way implies you "hate" that thing.
Your answer is acceptable. So please explain why rural and suburban folks "deserve" being made fun of.

Free and reduced lunch kids only partially count towards your school enrollment. By moving anyone down a class based on free and reduced lunch count is to say that your own counting mechanism is broken.
I know, I just found it interesting. He called SLP "ghetto" when in reality, it's about the same as Armstrong and Hopkins. And Blaine was higher than I'd expected.

When do we get to talk about the matchups, or is this the wrong thread...😉
Please do. The only game I'm super interested in is Stillwater - Wayzata. I think Wayzata was ranked too low...

I watched Lakeville South roll against Anoka. They are really good. Elite.

Wayzata rolled Stillwater 28-7. Whoo hoo!

6a quarterfinals
Farmington vs EP
Maple grove vs Woodbury

Wayzata vs st Michael
Lakeville south vs shakopee

some interesting games there

I can see EP vs Maple Grove, and Wayzata vs Lakeville South in the Semis. Both games would be worth watching. As far as the Final, I would like to see a rematch of EP vs Lakeville South for all the marbles. Everyone on the planet would expect Lakeville South to prevail, but EP's Junior QB is coming along in the passing game and they have numerous rushers; pass defense a big question.

Your answer is acceptable. So please explain why rural and suburban folks "deserve" being made fun of.
If I have to explain the joke, it ruins it.

Just live with your life choices. It's fine.

Coon Rapids was pushed down to 5A in 2016 due to the free and reduced meal numbers. They had a good class go through and were able to get to the state semi-finals in 5A. The coach is a grad of Blaine and has put some stability into the program. The Community really struggles with numbers for youth sports as it's a very transient community.
Thanks for this info. Makes a lot of sense. Probably similar to Park Center and some other bigger, more inner urban types of schools, where the people living there are perhaps first or second gen and sports just wasn't important where they came from, as compared to actually being able to find work and put food on the table for your family.

When do we get to talk about the matchups, or is this the wrong thread...😉
Go ahead. Literally nothing stopping you from having that discussion.

There is no, and never was, any rule that discussions are only allowed to happen in uninterrupted sequences of posts. Can even have two different discussion simultaneously!

Here's a question...
Now that we are into the state tournament, does anyone know how they choose the neutral sites? Some of these seem weird.

Simley vs. Hutchinson at Hopkins
Kasson Mantorville vs. Fridley at Lakeville South
Becker vs. Holy Angels at Monticello
Grand Rapids vs. Orono at Osseo
Wayzata vs. STMA at Park Center

Not going to read off all of them, but some make no sense.

Every school has free and reduced factored into their classification calculation.

after it was factored in, they were 6a and then moved down to 5a anyways.
I guess those Hopkins and Armstrong kids were just too rich to get the same schedule as coon rapids
If you don't think economics factors in to youth sports participation and competitiveness, you're delusional. I have no idea if MSHSL has hit the formula correctly, but it for sure needs to be factored in.

Here's a question...
Now that we are into the state tournament, does anyone know how they choose the neutral sites? Some of these seem weird.

And a real beauty - in AA - Pipestone and Maple River at Hastings. That's 217 miles for Pipestone, 93 miles for Maple River (in Mapleton, MN).

Eden Prairie plays Farmington, at Chanhassen. Nice matchup for the #2 seed.

The #1 seed Lakeville South, has a rematch against the toughest matchup they had this season with Shakopee. That game is in Stillwater. Yeh, that makes a ton of sense.

If you are going to host a game away from where the powers of the SW metro are, (Wayzata, EP, Edina, Shakopee, LS, LN, Farmington, etc, why wouldn't you have the #1 seed play closer to home at Chanhassen and have the lower seeds travel further in case a more likely upset occurred leading up to it?

Here's a question...

I don't know how they choose the Geography of where they assign teams for the State tournament, just that the MSHL requires Turf fields, availability of the stadium rentals from the school districts is required to be cheap or reasonable. I don't know if they factor in the distance for the fans to travel at all.

I don't know how they choose the Geography of where they assign teams for the State tournament, just that the MSHL requires Turf fields, availability of the stadium rentals from the school districts is required to be cheap or reasonable. I don't know if they factor in the distance for the fans to travel at all.
Didn't MSHL get the memo about rising gas prices?

Are there going to be new players that will pique the Gophers' interest?

MaxyJR1, please help us out.

Anyone have a guess as to how Mayo pulled the top seed in 5A over Mankato West, the only team to have beaten them this year?

And a real beauty - in AA - Pipestone and Maple River at Hastings. That's 217 miles for Pipestone, 93 miles for Maple River (in Mapleton, MN).
I think one of the nine man playoffs is at Macalester, between two far flung schools.

Sites are set prior to section championships. You need over 20 sites without knowing who the champions are. Some sections have great distances to travel within their sections. Turf is a requirement. Section match ups also rotate other than 6A

Anyone have a guess as to how Mayo pulled the top seed in 5A over Mankato West, the only team to have beaten them this year?
I think they had pre-set matchups between sections, and Mankato West is in Section 2. West gets St Thomas Academy this week, which may be their biggest test. And as someone whose kids go to Two Rivers (former Sibley), I couldn't be cheering any harder for West to trounce STA.

They didn't. The only class that seeds the final 8 is 6A. All other classes are pre-determined by which section they came from. Mayo is section 1 and West is section 2.

Top Bottom