Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

About to say Spring Lake Park, takes from the southern part of the Blaine, most of the houses are in the North. Would any of those houses be Centennial in the NE or Andover in the NW?
Simplified, Centennial and Spring Lake Park are south of Main area split by 35W so they are growing as well. Blaine HS area goes Lexington and Main north to 181st in Ham Lake. East of Lexington is Forest Lake. (However Blaine has an Elementary school East of Lexington on Main) Andover doesn't cross University south of 161st and HWY 65 north of 161st. However they are obviously growing as well. Blaine is the 4th largest HS in the state right now.

People can usually accept elementary and middle school shifts in boundaries, but when you start messing with HS lines they get really upset.

Yeah. Population shifts hit hard. Rochester built century high…were still good for a few years but it’s a different clientele at the Rochester schools. Mayo had a resurgence thi s year.

only 15-20 years ago the Rochester schools were competing with Rosemount, Eastview and Farmington and winning half the time.
All three Rochester high schools are near capacity, even after COVID, and there is/was some chatter about putting a fourth high school up for a vote sometime in the mid-2020s.

I do know that many high schoolers that would otherwise go to JM open enroll to Byron and Pine Island, depending on where in the district they are.

North of 148th, a small part of the area east of Lexington is still Forest Lake, which is a massive district geographically.

Minneapolis just shifted high school attendance areas again. My friend's daughter goes to Roosevelt. His son will go to Washburn.

All three Rochester high schools are near capacity, even after COVID, and there is/was some chatter about putting a fourth high school up for a vote sometime in the mid-2020s.

I do know that many high schoolers that would otherwise go to JM open enroll to Byron and Pine Island, depending on where in the district they are.
Yeah I’m not talking about the Number of students. I’m talking about the affluence. Rochester is more a city with suburbs than in the 90s and early 2000s.

Just a totally different demographic dynamic

you'd have hated them too.
... huh?

Hint, since you appear to need things more on the nose: making fun of someone/something, especially those that deserve to be made fun of, in no way implies you "hate" that thing.

Hastings playing Rosemount is the same % difference as Lakeville north playing Wayzata
Neat.

Now do it for actual teams that LN would play in the Gold South, like Lakeville South, Prior Lake, Farmington.

Just for perspective there are conferences in Texas where EP would have the smallest enrollment
Fair enough. Yes I'm aware of, at least in Dallas, the stupid suburbs like Frisco etc.

About to say Spring Lake Park, takes from the southern part of the Blaine, most of the houses are in the North. Would any of those houses be Centennial in the NE or Andover in the NW?
Well if you actually look at the SLP boundary ... it would seem like it has the largest area of Blaine, perhaps by far. That of course doesn't mean it covers the most homes, nor does that take into consideration kids who are afraid of/don't want to go down there.

orOV4NT.png

But you've got Club West, Sports Center, TPC, The Lakes .... all of those are supposed to send their kids to SLP. Guessing a lot try to pull connections in Centennial to open enroll over there for middle and up.

Minneapolis just shifted high school attendance areas again. My friend's daughter goes to Roosevelt. His son will go to Washburn.
They have BMS homes and south of Uptown, between 36th and Lake, everything west of Hennepin, including Kenwood, Isles, Cedar, and Bryn Mawr, going to North. North. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, zero point zero zero chance that white kids in those neighborhoods are going to North. :ROFLMAO:

PJ wished all the teams luck in the playoffs in his Monday presser last week, literally his opening statement
I was joking. PJ obviously is aware or is at least told by others to pretend.

Well if you actually look at the SLP boundary ... it would seem like it has the largest area of Blaine, perhaps by far. That of course doesn't mean it covers the most homes, nor does that take into consideration kids who are afraid of/don't want to go down there.

orOV4NT.png

But you've got Club West, Sports Center, TPC, The Lakes .... all of those are supposed to send their kids to SLP. Guessing a lot try to pull connections in Centennial to open enroll over there for middle and up.
Because apparently, you assume everyone in those neighborhoods is some kind of fearful racist? The people I know in The Lakes all send their kids to SLP schools.

The people I know in The Lakes all send their kids to SLP schools.
How many do you know? Every home with kids?

Regardless, even more than zero is a surprise me. Good for them.

How many do you know? Every home with kids?

Regardless, even more than zero is a surprise me. Good for them.
I know 4 families. Three with grade school and middle school kids, and one whose youngest just graduated from SLP. They all sent their kids through the SLP schools from day one, except one that sent their daughter to Catholic grade school, and then SLP. Your prejudice against people in wealthy neighborhoods is quite bizarre.

I went to Jefferson in the early 2010s when Jefferson and Kennedy were just punching bags for EP, Edina, Lakevilles, Prior Lake, Eagan etc.

Took them about 10 years past being competitive to finally get out of that league.

I know 4 families. Three with grade school and middle school kids, and one whose youngest just graduated from SLP. They all sent their kids through the SLP schools from day one, except one that sent their daughter to Catholic grade school, and then SLP.
Well they have their own elementary right up there, with "nice" boundaries just for those homes up north of the sports center. Probably a newish building too, I'm guessing.

So it's just middle and onward where they have to trudge down and up 65 every school day all the way down to SLP proper.

Your prejudice against people in wealthy neighborhoods is quite bizarre.
The only bizarre thing is you making shit up out of thin air.

I went to Jefferson in the early 2010s when Jefferson and Kennedy were just punching bags for EP, Edina, Lakevilles, Prior Lake, Eagan etc.

Took them about 10 years past being competitive to finally get out of that league.
Bloomingtons another good example of schools in the old 5A that aren't in the new 6A, I believe.

They were punching bags in the old non-Classic Lake conf, as well, I believe.

Bloomingtons another good example of schools in the old 5A that aren't in the new 6A, I believe.

They were punching bags in the old non-Classic Lake conf, as well, I believe.
Yeah had a few good years with gophers legend Moses Alipate in football and Cole Aldrich in basketball but for the most part were pretty weak. I think Kennedy had a couple state tournament teams in basketball as well.

Current location in the Metro West is the most competitive they've been in all sports in years.

If I could give my two cents, I think the way 6A does playoffs is horrible. I currently play for a school that was an 8 seed, meaning we had to play a one seed our playoff game and we got our butts handed to us. I don’t see the reason why the top seeds don’t have a bye and the 8 plays the 5 and the 7 plays the 6. I don’t think an 8 has ever beaten a 1 in the playoffs, and they way they keep getting bigger I don’t think they ever will. Pointless if you ask me.

Indeed. Make a 7A for schools like Wayzata and EP.

Who wants to play districts like that??

Just thought of another one, Apple Valley I believe is 5A now that was in the old 5A.

Interesting since Eastview is in the new 6A, I think.

Indeed. Make a 7A for schools like Wayzata and EP.

Who wants to play districts like that??
Nope. We don't need more classes. We need fewer. Everyone doesn't deserve to win games or championships.

Well they have their own elementary right up there, with "nice" boundaries just for those homes up north of the sports center. Probably a newish building too, I'm guessing.

So it's just middle and onward where they have to trudge down and up 65 every school day all the way down to SLP proper.

The only bizarre thing is you making shit up out of thin air.
I'm sorry a bad man from a nice wealthy suburb touched you when you were young. You should seek some therapy.

I know 4 families. Three with grade school and middle school kids, and one whose youngest just graduated from SLP. They all sent their kids through the SLP schools from day one, except one that sent their daughter to Catholic grade school, and then SLP. Your prejudice against people in wealthy neighborhoods is quite bizarre.
The neighborhood that I grew up would never be considered affluent and I went to Catholic grade schools and HS. About half of my friends grew up in similar neighborhoods or worse. The other half grew up with some $$.

You're 100% right, Disco. There are plenty of rich kids who go to public school, plenty of working middle class/poor kids who go to private school. MplsGopher just picks the strangest hills to die on.

Meanwhile, what about actual games involving High School football teams.............

In SW MN, couple of good matchups:
Sect 3/9-man: Mt Lake Area vs Hills-Beaver Creek
Sect 5-A: Minneota vs BOLD
Sect 2-AA: Blooming Prairie vs Maple River
Sect 3-AA: Jackson County Central vs Pipestone
Sect 3-AAA: Fairmont vs Waseca

And now, a short rant. During the regular season, a lot of teams offered free streaming video of their games. But, for section Finals games being played at SW MN State in Marshall on Friday, the MSHSL stepped in and said schools and/or radio stations could not offer their own video. But, if you want to watch on streaming video, you can buy a 1-day pass from Prep Spotlight TV for ............$30.

FWIW - a 1-day pass to watch 4 games in person is $10.

Likewise - used to have free streaming video of state Quarter finals and Semi-Finals. Now, if you want to watch - you guessed it, pay a juicy fee to Prep Spotlight.

Nope. We don't need more classes. We need fewer. Everyone doesn't deserve to win games or championships.
Lmao this isn't professional sports where everyone is on a roughly level playing field. Enrollment and demographics mean certain schools will never be able to give the biggest schools competitive games.

Do you really want Eden Prairie to roll current 3A teams 105-0 when we smash them into the same class? That isn't fun for the winners, losers, or viewers. The goal of HS sports is competitive matchups. This doesn't mean everyone wins, it just means you are competing with other teams at your skill level where there are chances to win or lose, not get steamrolled every week.

Using the example of Jefferson, they got knocked down a class, still haven't won a state championship. But going 3-4 is a lot more fun for the players than going 0-7 and losing by 50 every game. I remember when I went there, the team dwindled to about 30 players because no one wanted to play to get wrecked every week.

Fewer classes will cause schools that are outmatched to fold programs, which isn't good for anyone.

Last edited:

Lmao this isn't professional sports where everyone is on a roughly level playing field. Enrollment and demographics mean certain schools will never be able to give the biggest schools competitive games.

Do you really want Eden Prairie to roll current 3A teams 105-0 when we smash them into the same class? That isn't fun for the winners, losers, or viewers. The goal of HS sports is competitive matchups. This doesn't mean everyone wins, it just means you are competing with other teams at your skill level where there are chances to win or lose, not get steamrolled every week.

Using the example of Jefferson, they got knocked down a class, still haven't won a state championship. But going 3-4 is a lot more fun for the players than going 0-7 and losing by 50 every game. I remember when I went there, the team dwindled to about 30 players because no one wanted to play to get wrecked every week.

Fewer classes will cause schools that are outmatched to fold programs, which isn't good for anyone.
Agree with all of that. The additional classes I don't see them existing to appease the "everyone gets a trophy". Having teams play with minimal roster sizes (perhaps mostly 9th, 10th graders) get pummeled does not serve anybody's purpose well.

Top Bottom