Minnesota coach Jerry Kill not coaching at Michigan

Thought about this last night. Unreal.

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill suffered a seizure early Saturday morning and did not accompany the team to its game at Michigan, CBSSports.com has learned.

Sources said Kill "did not feel well" Friday night and was not with the team overnight at its hotel in Dearborn, Mich. Kill was not hospitalized and is resting at home, a spokesman for the school said.

The players were told after arriving at Michigan Stadium about 1 p.m. Saturday.

Here is the press release from the U:

"Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill is at home in Minneapolis and will not be on the sideline for today’s game against Michigan. Coach Kill was not feeling well on Friday morning and decided to meet the team in Ann Arbor on Saturday. He then suffered a seizure on Saturday morning and will remain at home in Minnesota for today’s game.

Coach Kill has been in contact with his staff today and defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys will serve as Minnesota’s acting head coach from the press box."

Win one for the Gipper. I have a feeling that there will be a press conference on Monday where coach will announce he's taking a leave of absence.

Alright. I want to not sound insensitive, but something has to be done now. After this game, he will have been on the field for 75% of the snaps this season. That is not gonna fly.

Yes, this thread could get ugly.

This is where Kill needs to address his comments from his previous interview, ""You can't be the head football coach and miss half of a game. I mean, I'm not stupid, I realize that." If he's missing a half of a game and then not traveling with the team at all to a division/trophy game, the discussion needs to at least be had. The rate of the seizures (that we know of) seem to be getting more frequent (though obviously this means nothing as actual seizure frequency may be dropping).

I'm 100% behind Kill, 100% against the bile and crap we saw earlier this season, but I think there needs to be a discussion..

My brother-in-law has seizures, but they last for only 2-3 minutes and occur while he is sleeping. He has had these since early adulthood and it is pretty well controlled by medication. Our next door neighbor is a doctor and he said if a seizure lasts longer than 10 minutes they have to be cheched out at the hospital. This seizures seem to knock Coach Kill out for 24-48 hours. I think it is now a situation where Coach Kill needs to think about his health first.

Man, I really feel bad for Jerry. Work your whole life to land a BCS gig and then things out of your control take over.

Hope he gets well. If he gets it under control and stays, I'll think we'll be fine. If he decides he needs to step away and focus on his health, I think we'll be fine as well - much more confident in Teague than Maturi who passed over Charlie Strong for Tim Brewster.

This is hurting the program. Jerry seriously needs to consider stepping down.

Jerry Kill has done a lot for the program. He doesn't recruit bozos, his players get good grades, and the core is getting better even if the record might not indicate it. He's playing freshman and sophomores and the program is being run the right way. He has earned the right to figure this out with his family, doctors, school administration, and those in the football program.

Public and media opinion shouldn't decide this matter. Coach Kill has earned the right to handle this one without outside pressure dictating how this one gets played out.

I know there has been a lot of recent support for Kill, but if he can't get this better under control, he has to focus on his health and step down.

The seizure likely was caused by not feeling well. This really sucks for coach and the team.

I think he'll take the rest of the season off. Too bad for jerry. I hope he gets this figured out.

Best to Jerry, it's unfortunate that this has hit him the hardest near the top of his profession.

Really sorry for Jerry and his illness. You're a great man Jerry but the writing is on the wall...........Go Gophers!!!

Very tough for Kill and the program - it will be all over ESPN and BTN all day. Kill is such a hard worker - it is a shame. Wouldn't be surprised if, in combination with a losing season, he steps down. But we can hope otherwise - maybe the Gophers will try to win one for the coach today.

It's okay to be concerned and supportive of Coach Kill, while at the same time say that it's time for a legitimate discourse on his future as head coach. He himself has stated that he can't miss games due to his condition, so this needs to become an issue. We can't ignore it.

Get well, Coach.

This!

Certainly Teague and Kill will need to address the expectations and whether the expectations are being met according to the contract that has been agreed to. There are many ways to address this issue, but the worst way to address this is to expect Jerry Kill to immediately step down. It would be a huge blow to the program and a kick in the gut to every kid that is playing for the Gopher football program. Let Kill and Teague work out the expectations and let us cheer on the Gophers.

Jerry Kill has done a lot for the program. He doesn't recruit bozos, his players get good grades, and the core is getting better even if the record might not indicate it. He's playing freshman and sophomores and the program is being run the right way. He has earned the right to figure this out with his family, doctors, school administration, and those in the football program.

Public and media opinion shouldn't decide this matter. Coach Kill has earned the right to handle this one without outside pressure dictating how this one gets played out.

Anyone here who ripped Souhan that isn't judging Kill and this team purely on wins and losses, would be quite the hypocrite.

Kill has the potential to be a HC like Paterno was late. Teams/programs can be successful with a CEO type. Let's see how they respond today.

Fell bad for Kill and his family, but he needs to step down at least this year to re-evaluate his life going forward. Have Tracy and Matt take over as co-interim head coaches. Teague needs to line up some head coaches as a contingency plan ASAP. Go gophers!!

his heath is more important that football... im not calling for him to step down, but he does need to look into the mirror and get this figured out.. I support him and what he has done for this university.... the writing is not on the wall yet... but the questions are certainly more accepted now...

Top Bottom