Mike Sherels will be named new LB coach at the U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> coach Mike Sherels will replace the outgoing linebackers coach under Kill. Announcement should come today.</p>— Andrew Krammer (@Andrew_Krammer) <a href="https://twitter.com/Andrew_Krammer/statuses/440537542333431808">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not the Hire I expected but

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> coach Mike Sherels will replace the outgoing linebackers coach under Kill. Announcement should come today.</p>— Andrew Krammer (@Andrew_Krammer) <a href="https://twitter.com/Andrew_Krammer/statuses/440537542333431808">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I would of thought they replace Miller with a proven recruiter and experienced linebackers coach. But I think it speaks to
the Kill family way of doing things...the loyalty component. Sherels has been there. They know him. I'm sure everybody on the staff endorsed him for the position and they are ready to roll for tomorrows opening practice.

They believe he'll do well and therefore I trust he will too.

I feel like he was just promoted a few weeks ago! Congrats to Mike - he's a great guy and has put in a lot of time. He bleeds maroon and gold and I've got to think with his personality, his Gopher ties, and the fact his bro is in the NFL - he's gotta be a great recruiter too.

This is absolutely, positively, why Kill is one of the top coaches in America and why his staff is loyal beyond loyal. The Minnesota Gophers football team is a family and the youngest son just got a promotion in the family business.

I totally love this move!

If Kill thinks he's ready, Sherels has already proven it. What a great guy, too. Nice bump in pay, too. A win all the way around.

At first glance, I can't say I'm thrilled that Bill Miller is being replaced by Mike Sherels. That said, I don't know anything about Mike's coaching or recruiting abilities. Congratulations to him, and I hope he does a great job.

At first glance, I can't say I'm thrilled that Bill Miller is being replaced by Mike Sherels. That said, I don't know anything about Mike's coaching or recruiting abilities. Congratulations to him, and I hope he does a great job.

Sherels won't be the same quality of half-time interview that Miller was but he has been with this staff for multiple years so he should transition into their eco system pretty seamlessly. Can't speak to his abilities as a coach but as a former walk-on player he was one of those guys that had to worry about the little things to get ahead of the scholarship players so if he can translate that as a coach he could do very well.

They better hold off on the hire until the check with DMB#1FanBoy to make sure he is qualified.

So long as Mike Sherels was playing straight downhill, that kid belonged in Canton.

I love the Sherels boys. This is great news.

I like this hire. Kill knows exactly what he is getting with Sherels. A hometown hero that bleeds M&G, a walk on that worked his butt off, a guy that has been around the program for several years now so he "gets it".

I think these guys can afford to "take" a risk on a young/inexperienced guy like Sherels because the rest of the staff has such continuity, and he already knows what to expect. It should be a smaller learning curve than most new hires.

Question for those in the know out there -- how much of Kill's recruiting is assigned by location vs. by position? I know it seems like he does some of each, but I am hoping Sherels is our MN recruiter and we start to see some dividends there.

I really like the hire. Good choice. Happy for Mike!

I'm not thrilled by this hire. Not that I don't like Sherels or appreciate his potential, but I was really hoping for someone with coaching experience & recruiting experience, and Sherels really has neither. It seemed like the staff agreed he needed more seasoning as he was recently promoted from Grad Asst/Alumni Relations up to an entry level Coaching position. Now he skips the seasoning part altogether and dives in an actual B1G position coach and recruiter which is actually two jobs he'll have to learn simultaneously. Ultimately this is on Kill & Claeys, so if they think he's ready then I'm on board, but it happened faster than I think they'd hoped it would.

Hell yeah, I'm definitely into this

I'm not thrilled by this hire. Not that I don't like Sherels or appreciate his potential, but I was really hoping for someone with coaching experience & recruiting experience, and Sherels really has neither. It seemed like the staff agreed he needed more seasoning as he was recently promoted from Grad Asst/Alumni Relations up to an entry level Coaching position. Now he skips the seasoning part altogether and dives in an actual B1G position coach and recruiter which is actually two jobs he'll have to learn simultaneously. Ultimately this is on Kill & Claeys, so if they think he's ready then I'm on board, but it happened faster than I think they'd hoped it would.

A most confusing post. Who did you think Minnesota would get at this point? Not much out there, other than guys that will leave in a couple of years. Sherels is here for the long haul, maybe for decades.

He's been recruiting and he has been coaching linebackers for three years, just not in an official capacity. I'll take a guy that played at the position for four years plus and has been with the team on the field for three anyday. Where was he going start? As assistant to the special teams coach at Concordia? He got the job because he already proved to Kill and Claeys that he can do it. He's got the work ethic and the know-how, and he knows Minnesota.

I don't have a problem with it because he will be around a staff with a ton of experience. I'd agree if it was three or four coaches with not much experience. But Sherels will get a lot of help from guys with a lot of experience.

He knows the D. He knows the kids. He knows the position. Our LBs will be improved this year.

Alright Sherels - you wanted a spot at the big boy table, now go out there and prove you deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever DP, Screw you, you arrogant pr!ck! I will argue your post for twelve pages.;)

IALTO!

I just need to state this one more time so nobody misses it. Dpodoll is stating on the record - n/m.

The official release:

University of Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill announced today that Mike Sherels has been promoted to linebacker coach. Sherels served as a defensive graduate assistant in 2013 and most recently was an assistant coordinator of recruiting operations with the Gophers. Sherels joined the staff in early 2011 and worked as a special assistant to the head coach. He has also worked closely with Minnesota's alumni.

"I am very happy for Mike,” said Kill. “He has been with us for the last three years and knows and understands what we are trying to do here. He is a former two-time Gopher captain and truly loves Minnesota. This really is a dream come true for him.

“Mike is a terrific on-field coach and is a relatable presence to today's players. I cannot wait to see him recruit, as nobody can tell our story better than him. I expect his transition to be a smooth one and am excited to see him embrace his new role."

The Rochester, Minn., native graduated from Minnesota 2007 with a degree in business and marketing education and will receive his master’s degree in May. He played for the Gophers from 2003-07 and served as a captain during his junior and senior year. He is the only Minnesota walk-on ever to be named a two-time captain. Sherels started 30 games and recorded 219 tackles during his four-year career. His 104 tackles in 2006 led the Gophers.

“I am extremely thankful to Coach Kill and the rest of the staff for having the belief in me to handle this job,” said Sherels. “It is a dream come true to coach at my alma mater and to represent my home state.”

Sherels’ career at Minnesota was also decorated with off-field accolades. As a senior, he was honored with the Neil Fredenburg Award for Courage and Love of the Game. As a junior, he was presented with the Carl Eller Award as the team's most outstanding defensive player and the Paul Giel Award for Unselfishness and Most Concern About the University of Minnesota.

Sherels and his wife Emily have one daughter, Valerie, who was born in Texas, while the Gophers were in Houston for the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030714aac.html

Go Gophers!!

This is a good hire. Mike Sherrels has passion for the Gophers and knows the system.

Good time for coach Sherrels to step up and take the bull by the horns. He has coach Claeys and coach Kill to mentor him as a division one linebackers coach. He knows our players, knows the terminolody of the defenisve staff, has been with our staff for three years and fits in with the group. Coach Kill played linebacker after all so if there is anyone that can mentor Mike it is coach Kill., and coach Swavel has coached the spot so he can always lean on him too.
That and he has his former position coaches to lean on for advice, I'm sure they are happey for him, as far as recruting and what to look for in athletes on film. This is a great hire for the Gopher program.

Good time for coach Sherrels to step up and take the bull by the horns. He has coach Claeys and coach Kill to mentor him as a division one linebackers coach. He knows our players, knows the terminolody of the defenisve staff, has been with our staff for three years and fits in with the group. Coach Kill played linebacker after all so if there is anyone that can mentor Mike it is coach Kill., and coach Swavel has coached the spot so he can always lean on him too.
That and he has his former position coaches to lean on for advice, I'm sure they are happey for him, as far as recruting and what to look for in athletes on film. This is a great hire for the Gopher program.

I totally agree. Those who think he's not ready are partly right. He wouldn't be ready in another system at another school. However, this is a system that nurtures it's staff members and has guys that back each other up--instead of being in competition with each other. Better than hiring a guy that leaves in two or three years.

We might be seeing our head coach for 2028.

This is a good hire. Masters degree. Walk on superstar. Bleeds maroon. Apparently a good recruiter out of the gate. What is not to like about this hire. At first I wondered what this was about. Once the presser was out, my Lord, it tells a real nice story. If a recruit needs to know a story, all he has to do is tell his. Aces. Plenty of coaches to run the linebackers with him if needed. People with Masters degrees have the fire in their belly to do great things.

This is a good hire. Masters degree. Walk on superstar. Bleeds maroon. Apparently a good recruiter out of the gate. What is not to like about this hire. At first I wondered what this was about. Once the presser was out, my Lord, it tells a real nice story. If a recruit needs to know a story, all he has to do is tell his. Aces. Plenty of coaches to run the linebackers with him if needed. People with Masters degrees have the fire in their belly to do great things.

And here I thought thought that pain in my stomach was from eating some bad food last night.

From DL's weekly report: "Coach Kill said when Bill Miller left for Florida State they looked across the country; however, “When the job opened up several players approached him (Kill).” Sid questioned Kill about Sherels young age. Laughing, Kill said, “We’ve all been young.” Nevertheless, he sounded happy for Mike Sherels and that he’s ready for the job; he cited the play of the linebackers in yesterday’s practice, of which he was pleased. Also, Kill’s philosophy of being loyal to his staff and promoting from within was apparent in his remarks."

Top Bottom