Mike Sherels will be named new LB coach at the U

Talk about bleeding Maroon and Gold!

Sherels and his wife Emily have one daughter, Valerie, who was born in Texas, while the Gophers were in Houston for the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl.

For a child to travel that far and to be born at a bowl game leaves me speechless. That child has an incredible commitment to the team.

We will look back and see this as an unbelievably great promotion. If anyone, anyone can come close to closing the borders on recruiting, it will be Sherels. Our LBs are going to play out of their head. TCF Bank it!

This is a good hire. Masters degree. Walk on superstar. Bleeds maroon. Apparently a good recruiter out of the gate. What is not to like about this hire. At first I wondered what this was about. Once the presser was out, my Lord, it tells a real nice story. If a recruit needs to know a story, all he has to do is tell his. Aces. Plenty of coaches to run the linebackers with him if needed. People with Masters degrees have the fire in their belly to do great things.

I have a Masters degree, but I didn't get the "do great things" memo.

[/B]

I have a Masters degree, but I didn't get the "do great things" memo.

One of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. I've known too many career students who let the Govt fund their Master's Degrees & then never did jack with their lives.

A most confusing post. Who did you think Minnesota would get at this point? Not much out there, other than guys that will leave in a couple of years. Sherels is here for the long haul, maybe for decades.

He's been recruiting and he has been coaching linebackers for three years, just not in an official capacity. I'll take a guy that played at the position for four years plus and has been with the team on the field for three anyday. Where was he going start? As assistant to the special teams coach at Concordia? He got the job because he already proved to Kill and Claeys that he can do it. He's got the work ethic and the know-how, and he knows Minnesota.

No, confusing is saying we couldn't get anyone better at this point & then turning around and saying he's proven that he can do this job. Which is it? :confused:

I genuinely like Mike Sherels. I like the hire, I just don't love it because I wanted someone with a proven coaching and recruiting track record and Mike doesn't have that. In a perfect world we would have hired him in a couple years, not jumping straight from Grad Asst. Mike's got Claeys behind him, a system in place and a lot of talent to work with, I'm sure we'll be fine. I'm just saying, look at the top teams in the B1G and you'll notice they're not promoting Grad Assts to LB coach positions. OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn St., Mich St., Wisconsin all have highly credential veterans.

No, confusing is saying we couldn't get anyone better at this point & then turning around and saying he's proven that he can do this job. Which is it? :confused:

I genuinely like Mike Sherels. I like the hire, I just don't love it because I wanted someone with a proven coaching and recruiting track record and Mike doesn't have that. In a perfect world we would have hired him in a couple years, not jumping straight from Grad Asst. Mike's got Claeys behind him, a system in place and a lot of talent to work with, I'm sure we'll be fine. I'm just saying, look at the top teams in the B1G and you'll notice they're not promoting Grad Assts to LB coach positions. OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn St., Mich St., Wisconsin all have highly credential veterans.

No yet attainable at this point. You're only going to get people who were recently fired and/or job jumpers. We got a lifer here.

One of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. I've known too many career students who let the Govt fund their Master's Degrees & then never did jack with their lives.

I'm so sorry that I complimented a class of people. Next time I'll just throw everyone under the bus just for fun. My next post will be so over the top...

Top Bottom