MIKE MAX: TREVOR GETS 6th YEAR!!!!!!!!!! UPDATED: Officially Confirmed by the U!!

Really bad post, no reason to be quiet about his options. He's no let down to me if he goes the pro route, I'll cheer for him the same... Gopher, NBA, NBADL or Euro.

I'm sure your point of view is correct. The Gopher fans will all be thrilled with Trevor's decision to turn pro after hearing about the appeal all season and hearing Trevor talk about how he wants to play one more season at MN - and then change his mind. I will also support Trevor in whatever he decides to do as he played harder than anyone while he was in a Gopher uniform. With that being said, if you think there wouldn't be some let down related to the Gopher BB program if Trevor leaves, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Mbakwe could care less if I support him or not. As a big Gopher fan I hope he comes back for a year. After all this it would really suck @ss if he left for the NBA.

“@GophersNow: Tubby said Gophers are hoping the NCAA can help them with a extra scholarship for Mbakwe. He said he expects all of his players to be back.”

“@GophersNow: Tubby said Gophers are hoping the NCAA can help them with a extra scholarship for Mbakwe. He said he expects all of his players to be back.”
I don't read the bi-laws but can they do this?

“@AmeliaRayno: Trevor Mbakwe said he is "leaning toward" coming back for another year. #Gophers”

“@GophersNow: Mbakwe said he expected to get a sixth year because the NCAA kept asking him for more information. That was a great sign.”

“@GophersNow: Mbakwe is leaning on coming back, but he's going to hear how NBA teams feel about him. Tubby told him another year would help his stock.”

“@AmeliaRayno: Trevor Mbakwe said he is "leaning toward" coming back for another year. #Gophers”

“@GophersNow: Mbakwe said he expected to get a sixth year because the NCAA kept asking him for more information. That was a great sign.”

“@GophersNow: Mbakwe is leaning on coming back, but he's going to hear how NBA teams feel about him. Tubby told him another year would help his stock.”
You are plugged in today!

This seems like the absolute right call

“@RyanJamesMN: Trevor Mbakwe is telling people that he will return to Gophers as long as he isnt told by a team he'll be a first round pick.”

This seems like the absolute right call

“@RyanJamesMN: Trevor Mbakwe is telling people that he will return to Gophers as long as he isnt told by a team he'll be a first round pick.”

Trevor is an interesting guy. I don't think an NBA team will take a chance on him in the 1st, but as a guy who follows the NBA draft and the NBA in general, I would certainly rather have Trevor than most players drafted around #20.

Trevor is an interesting guy. I don't think an NBA team will take a chance on him in the 1st, but as a guy who follows the NBA draft and the NBA in general, I would certainly rather have Trevor than most players drafted around #20.

+1 Even though this draft is loaded compared to the past, it isn't very common for late 1st rounders to be that productive. Due to that I wouldn't be completely surprised if a team like the Miami Heat, who already has loaded talent, wants a guy to come off the bench and get them hustle points and 2nd chance points.

Unreal. How do u fault a guy for going to school for six years if he's working on his masters? Damn those educated student athletes.

I'm sure that he'll be first in line to call out the next Gopher that leaves early for the pros as not taking his education seriously, and treating the Gophers as an NBA tryout.

Good question, anyone know if the NCAA ever does this?

I'm an intern in an athletic department, I'll go through the bylaws on Monday and see what I fan find. We might have an answer by then but if not I'll try to look into it.

Edit: I just did a quick browse of the NCAA manual and couldn't find an applicable bylaw. I'll search for any similar waivers on Monday when I have access to past NCAA cases.

I think he will be the #1 pick after leading MN to the NCAA championship. Dre Hollins will go 8th and Rodney Williams 3rd.

Joe, Austin, and Mo will be late first rounders while Trent Lockett gets picked just outside the lottery at 15.

Thus begins Minnesotas overtaking of UK as we then reload with Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Jahil Okafor plus others. Becoming one and done U that wins national championships every other year and Tubby Smith goes down as one of the greatest coaches in history. Retiring at the age of 70 with 6 national titles, 5 at Minnesota.

He is then replaced by Shaka Smart, who finally accomplishes his life long dream of being the Gophers coach by leaving Duke for the better job, he continues Minnesotas now rich basketball tradition. The financials lead us to building TWO practice facilities and Wisconsin never finishes above 11th in the Big 10 as Bo Ryan is caught in an academic scandal that wipes away his entire big 10 record and half of the team transfers mid season and is replaced by the championship intramural team from Madison.

GO GOPHERS!!!!

That's what we need on this site: a "Fan Fiction" board!

That's what we need on this site: a "Fan Fiction" board!

Watching this NIT run and seeing EE & Andre grow has been fun. Austin had a very solid year, I've been optimistic about next season when we were talking about just adding Mo and the freshman.

Now there is the real possibility of having Trevor, maybe even TL... that would be huge.

I can't help myself from thinking of the worst case. I hate to even say this, but this has crossed my mind: Rodney has two more 20pt big games and moves on the the pros, Trevor get's projected in the second round and rolls the dice. Lockett plays for Wiscy, ISU or Iowa.

PiPress: Gophers' Mbakwe looking for a read from the NBA before deciding on sixth year

The Gophers also don't have a scholarship next season for Mbakwe right now, which makes things more complicated.

"Our compliance people are checking into all avenues and all possibilities," Smith said. "There are ways that if the NCAA is willing to give someone a sixth year, they're probably willing to work with us along those lines as far as a scholarship is concerned. So we expect everybody that is in our program this year to be back next year."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20247976/gophers-mbakwe-looking-read-from-nba-before-deciding

Go Gophers!!

Updated quotes from Trevor:

"I’m leaning toward getting another year," he said. "But the situation is kind of complicated. We’ll know more after the season, but there’s a lot more that needs to play out before I’ll be able to make a decision."

"He’s never been shy in telling me the truth," Mbakwe said of Smith. "He says obviously it would be a lot harder, just with me not playing and me possibly not being able to do workouts and teams risking a chance with someone who’s come off a knee injury."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/144099546.html

Go Gophers!!

Mbakwe will always be one of my favorite gophers!

It's not likely Trevor will get a first round promise from any team. He won't be able to compete in the pre draft camps, won't be in shape, and some team would really really have to be in love with him to give him guaranteed money. Also he's not exceptional prospect meaning he doesn't have great size, athleticism or skill. That's not to say he can't play 10 years in the NBA because he certainly could but no one is drafting a guy with a bum knee in the first round that's not exceptionally gifted, it just doesn't happen. The most he'll get is a late 2nd round or an invitation to training camp to compete for a roster spot.

He would be better served coming back and showing he is healthy, still a beast of a rebounder, can effectively defend bigger guys, defend the pick and roll, improved free throw shooting and hit a 15 foot jump shot off the pick and roll on offense. If he does all this he'll be a late first round pick. If he totally dominates he could go mid teens. Also, with Dre being a rising star, Big Mo and Rodney coming back you'll see a lot more nba scouts at gopher games which will give Trevor more chances to win!

It's not likely Trevor will get a first round promise from any team. He won't be able to compete in the pre draft camps, won't be in shape, and some team would really really have to be in love with him to give him guaranteed money. Also he's not exceptional prospect meaning he doesn't have great size, athleticism or skill. That's not to say he can't play 10 years in the NBA because he certainly could but no one is drafting a guy with a bum knee in the first round that's not exceptionally gifted, it just doesn't happen. The most he'll get is a late 2nd round or an invitation to training camp to compete for a roster spot.

He would be better served coming back and showing he is healthy, still a beast of a rebounder, can effectively defend bigger guys, defend the pick and roll, improved free throw shooting and hit a 15 foot jump shot off the pick and roll on offense. If he does all this he'll be a late first round pick. If he totally dominates he could go mid teens. Also, with Dre being a rising star, Big Mo and Rodney coming back you'll see a lot more nba scouts at gopher games which will give Trevor more chances to win!

Mbakwe doesn't have great athleticism? I guess you learn something new every day.

Mbakwe doesn't have great athleticism? I guess you learn something new every day.

It's not meant to be a knock but can you Tell me what's so great about him? He's a decent leaper but not great, does he have great change of direction? He's strong and jumps quick but nothing else about him stands out IMO. That's not to say he can't play in the NBA because I'm certain he can but he's not heads and shoulders above any other PF prospects

It's not meant to be a knock but can you Tell me what's so great about him? He's a decent leaper but not great, does he have great change of direction? He's strong and jumps quick but nothing else about him stands out IMO. That's not to say he can't play in the NBA because I'm certain he can but he's not heads and shoulders above any other PF prospects

You're the first person to call him a "decent leaper." His athleticism, strength, and motor are what make him an NBA prospect.

TROLL LIKE POST

He's a decent leaper but not great

43" vert w/ getting off the ground quickly.

I'm certain he can but he's not heads and shoulders above any other PF prospects

That's why he was ranked top 15 in the NBA Mock Drafts right before he got hurt.

Youre acting like he is supposed to have DRose type quicks while being in the body of PF. For his position/play style he is extremely athletic.

Rodney's quote "You never know with Trev," forward Rodney Williams said. "But I'm definitely hoping that Trev comes back next year because with him, there's no telling how great this team could be."

I think most Gopher fans feel the same way. Hopefully both Rodney and Trevor are in Gopher uniforms next fall.

43" vert w/ getting off the ground quickly.

That's why he was ranked top 15 in the NBA Mock Drafts right before he got hurt.

I seriously doubt he has a 43 vertical. Dominique Wilkens had a 42. You telling me he can jump higher than Dominique? Vince Carter has a 43 vertical. He's a quick leaper but i'm not sure he's a got a 43 vertical.. that means he could outjump Rodney Williams. We'll see when he goes to the NBA draft combine next year but I haven't seen TM get up like Rodney. My whole point is that TM isn't so good that some team takes him first round with a bum knee. If he comes back to MN, stays healthy and plays well he'll get drafted for sure.

but I haven't seen TM get up like Rodney.

Old Marcus story- Mbakwe, who has a 36-inch vertical leap, averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks a game at Miami Dade.

-He also wrote that Chip has the teams highest vertical with 38".

Top Bottom