MIKE MAX: TREVOR GETS 6th YEAR!!!!!!!!!! UPDATED: Officially Confirmed by the U!!

"he doesn't have great size, athleticism or skill. It's not meant to be a knock but can you Tell me what's so great about him? He's a decent leaper but not great, does he have great change of direction?" TO the Maroon that said this, you sir are what's wrong with Gopherhole. Now don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but either a. you have no knowledge of basketball or in gauging talent, or b. you are an internet troll. In both cases you should leave these forums.

I will say the exact opposite. Trevor has superior size (6'8''), wingspan (7'2''), superior athleticism (34 inch vertical), and superior skill (he knows how to play basketball, not to mention his improved leadership, and free throw shooting). If you watch the guy play once you would have known this.

"he doesn't have great size, athleticism or skill. It's not meant to be a knock but can you Tell me what's so great about him? He's a decent leaper but not great, does he have great change of direction?" TO the Maroon that said this, you sir are what's wrong with Gopherhole. Now don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but either a. you have no knowledge of basketball or in gauging talent, or b. you are an internet troll. In both cases you should leave these forums.

I will say the exact opposite. Trevor has superior size (6'8''), wingspan (7'2''), superior athleticism (34 inch vertical), and superior skill (he knows how to play basketball, not to mention his improved leadership, and free throw shooting). If you watch the guy play once you would have known this.
6'8" is not superior size at PF when you have guys like Pau Gasol and Chris Bosh playing PF.

First i've seen him play plenty of games on btn/espn this year and last year. I watch about every MN game. Trevor doesn't have superior size or athleticism. He's actually short in terms of height for the 4 spot but if he's really 6'8 in shoes that's good enough. To me his best assets are his motor, strength and quickness on his jump. His athletic ability is fine but it's not any better than most pf's in the nba which is why i say he will not get drafted in the first round with a bum knee. He doesn't bring anything to the table that's worth that gamble. Example..if lebron blew his knee his SR in high school, somebody was still taking him pretty early in the draft because of his exceptional athletic ability and skill.

TM needs to be a better defender consistently and prove he can guard bigger guys effectively because his offensive game is pretty limited. His rebounding is great so teams that need rebounding and a tenacious defender willl be interested him but he's not really a tenacious defender at least not consistently so he needs to work on that. He's not lazy so that won't be an issue. I just think he needs to prove he's healthy before anyone will draft him and the best way to do that is to come back another year and be really good.

I think the only thing people are disagreeing with you on is the athleticism part. In terms of other college power forwards his athleticism is among the best in the country.

sorry i just don't see a great athlete there or great skill. Lebron is 6'8 240..now who is the better athlete? I see a guy who jumps pretty good, is strong , rebounds great and limited offensively not a great recipe for being a first round pick. He's a classic PF type but he's a little undersized

Dude is an explosive athlete. I don't think you'd find any scout that would tell you differently.

sorry i just don't see a great athlete there or great skill. Lebron is 6'8 240..now who is the better athlete? I see a guy who jumps pretty good, is strong , rebounds great and limited offensively not a great recipe for being a first round pick. He's a classic PF type but he's a little undersized
Lebron also plays a different position. You are comparing him to someone of similar body type who is a freak athlete at arguably the most athletic position in the NBA. Seriously, do you realize this?

I hope you aren't serious. LeBron James is arguably the most athletic basketball player in the world. Is that seriously your criteria for determining how athletic someone is? If they aren't a better athlete than LeBron, then they aren't a great athlete? That's like saying either you're the greatest athlete in basketball or you aren't a good athlete. That is just terrible logic. Is there only one basketball player in the world who is allowed to be considered a great athlete? Because that's basically what you just said. Like I said in a previous post, you are the first person to call Mbakwe a "decent athlete."

Compare Mbakwe to all other big men in college basketball today. I bet he's near the top in athleticism. The only big guy in the Big Ten this year that I would consider more athletic than Mbakwe is Green. Sullinger is more skilled overall, but that doesn't make him more athletic.

Seriously? Are you really arguing that Mbakwe isn't a great athlete because he isn't as good of an athlete as Lebron?

Here is my assesment of Mbakwe:
- Skill - - He isn't super skilled. He can somewhat shoot but he isn't a threat ball handling, he isn't a threat facing the hoop from far out, he'll need to improve.

- Size - He has good but not great size for an NBA PF. He is tall and long enough (wingspan) to defend the PF position. He is already strong enough. He certainly wouldn't be undersized for a PF.

- Athletic ability - Very good. FOR A PF, he is fast, he is quick, he can run the floor, and he has a great verticle.

- Misc - Old for his class, history of injury

My guess - If he comes back and has a good season - - - Late 1st.

Player who he is similar:
Kenneth Faried (6'8" 225 lbs PF (35 VERT)) - - Not much of a Shooter, hustle, energry, rebounder

Then you have been watching basketball with your eyes closed. Trevor is one of the most athletic power forwards in college basketball. Probably top 5 in terms of athleticism and skill at his position. You are way off on your assessment of his ability.

You must not have been watching very closely and that is why you are notagopherfan.

Seriously? Are you really arguing that Mbakwe isn't a great athlete because he isn't as good of an athlete as Lebron?

Here is my assesment of Mbakwe:
- Skill - - He isn't super skilled. He can somewhat shoot but he isn't a threat ball handling, he isn't a threat facing the hoop from far out, he'll need to improve.

- Size - He has good but not great size for an NBA PF. He is tall and long enough (wingspan) to defend the PF position. He is already strong enough. He certainly wouldn't be undersized for a PF.

- Athletic ability - Very good. FOR A PF, he is fast, he is quick, he can run the floor, and he has a great verticle.

- Misc - Old for his class, history of injury

My guess - If he comes back and has a good season - - - Late 1st.

Player who he is similar
Kenneth Faried (6'8" 225 lbs PF (35 VERT)) - - Not much of a Shooter, hustle, energry, rebounder

Yes his athletic ability is very good but I wouldn't call it great but it's defintely good to very good. I disagree about being under sized. He is a bit under sized for a PF but he makes up for it with strength, effort and above average leaping ability but it's not a deal breaker. He can rebound and bang and that will get him an opportunity. If he turns out to be a really good defender even better.

Yes his athletic ability is very good but I wouldn't call it great but it's defintely good to very good. I disagree about being under sized. He is a bit under sized for a PF but he makes up for it with strength, effort and above average leaping ability but it's not a deal breaker. He can rebound and bang and that will get him an opportunity. If he turns out to be a really good defender even better.
Way to change your argument completely....

You must not have been watching very closely and that is why you are notagopherfan.

Well TM is not a superior athlete because we'd be hearing how he's still going in the first round because he's so great even though he's injured. But the fact is, he's not a superior athlete or he'd be in the conversation about a first round pick or being drafted. He's no more athletic than the majority of the power forwards in the NBA or else you'd be hearing it. Now we've heard Rodney Williams being talked about like this and he's a guy with no real stand out skills but it's plain as day he's an elite athlete who just needs to work on his jumper and ball handling.

Lebron is, jordan was, wilkens, dwight howard, chamberlain, drexler, david robinson, vince carter, Akeem.. these are great and skilled athletes. TM is a notch below maybe even 2 notches below. He's going to play in the league if he stays healthy no doubt but you're not going to convince me that's he's some superior athlete with great skill because that's not true.

Well TM is not a superior athlete because we'd be hearing how he's still going in the first round because he's so great even though he's injured. But the fact is, he's not a superior athlete or he'd be in the conversation about a first round pick or being drafted. He's no more athletic than the majority of the power forwards in the NBA or else you'd be hearing it. Now we've heard Rodney Williams being talked about like this and he's a guy with no real stand out skills but it's plain as day he's an elite athlete who just needs to work on his jumper and ball handling.

Lebron is, jordan was, wilkens, dwight howard, chamberlain, drexler, david robinson, vince carter, Akeem.. these are great and skilled athletes. TM is a notch below maybe even 2 notches below. He's going to play in the league if he stays healthy no doubt but you're not going to convince me that's he's some superior athlete with great skill because that's not true.
So your argument is he is not as athletic as the most athletic players ever? Seriously?

So your argument is he is not as athletic as the most athletic players ever? Seriously?

yes.. because that's what separates "great" as many of you have said, from good to very good. My whole arguement has been is that he's good yes but so is every one else in the NBA. And he's not good enough to get drafted with a bum knee. He has no outstanding skills other than rebounding and I'd love to see how he'd check a Blake Griffin, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Gasol, Bosh, Al Horford, Carmello, Stoudemire, Garnett, Marcus Camby. How's he going to gaurd or score consistently on the likes of these guys? Is he more skilled or athletic than any of these players? No is my answer. What say you?

yes.. because that's what separates "great" as many of you have said, from good to very good.
I'm disregarding the rest of your post because this is the point that you need to do a MUCH better job of framing. You're using the term "great" relative to greatest ever. However, if you look at this draft class do any of the PFs compare athletically to the greatest PFs ever? I would say no, other than Anthony Davis, the one considered the top pick. If you use great relative to the current draft class, I would say Trevor is a great athlete. You see what I am saying? You can view Trevor in this class similar to how Rodney is seen as well. Great athlete who needs to show more skill.

Then you have been watching basketball with your eyes closed. Trevor is one of the most athletic power forwards in college basketball. Probably top 5 in terms of athleticism and skill at his position. You are way off on your assessment of his ability.

what skill? Rebounding.. Guy has pretty limited skills offensively and he's not great defensively. He's good on D but not great though this is just a matter of effort and focus because he has the ability to be a great defender with strength, quick leaping ability and motor but he's not there yet. He is going to be an NBA player if he comes back and plays well but he is what he is. A great rebounder, a bad free throw shooter, limited on offense, doesn't have great size and doesn't play defense consistently. Sorry that's not a first round pick.. not even close but he could go in the 2nd and earn a roster spot if the right team drafts him after he plays another year at MN.

yes.. because that's what separates "great" as many of you have said, from good to very good. My whole arguement has been is that he's good yes but so is every one else in the NBA. And he's not good enough to get drafted with a bum knee. He has no outstanding skills other than rebounding and I'd love to see how he'd check a Blake Griffin, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Gasol, Bosh, Al Horford, Carmello, Stoudemire, Garnett, Marcus Camby. How's he going to gaurd or score consistently on the likes of these guys? Is he more skilled or athletic than any of these players? No is my answer. What say you?

You're embarrassing yourself man. For your own sake you should probably stop. Have you actually seen any of those guys play? Obviously Griffin is a better athlete, but he's an extremely rare type of athlete. According to DraftExpress, Boozer had a 26.5 inch vertical, Horford had a 31, Carmelo had 30.5, Bosh's was 30.5, and Stoudemire's was 32. The rest weren't on there, but Gasol has to have one of the lowest verticals in the NBA and Garnett isn't exactly a spectacular athlete anymore. Mbakwe's vertical is higher than all of the verticals I listed. You're honestly crazy if you think otherwise. This isn't debatable.

I'm disregarding the rest of your post because this is the point that you need to do a MUCH better job of framing. You're using the term "great" relative to greatest ever. However, if you look at this draft class do any of the PFs compare athletically to the greatest PFs ever? I would say no, other than Anthony Davis, the one considered the top pick. If you use great relative to the current draft class, I would say Trevor is a great athlete. You see what I am saying? You can view Trevor in this class similar to how Rodney is seen as well. Great athlete who needs to show more skill.

The guys I listed above aren't the greatest ever. They are all current NBA players. Boozer, Camby, Stoudemire, Gasol, Horford, Brand, aren't the greatest ever. They are all really good but great is debatable but I can't see how Trevor defends or scores on any of these guys. As for the PF's in this draft class, that's irrelevant. If there aren't any great PF's they won't get drafted. NBA teams only have 2 picks, they aren't going to draft players who aren't good enough no matter the position especially ones that are injured. He'll be a solid 2nd round pick next year and if he has a great year he could get in the 1st round.

You're embarrassing yourself man. For your own sake you should probably stop. Have you actually seen any of those guys play? Obviously Griffin is a better athlete, but he's an extremely rare type of athlete. According to DraftExpress, Boozer had a 26.5 inch vertical, Horford had a 31, Carmelo had 30.5, Bosh's was 30.5, and Stoudemire's was 32. The rest weren't on there, but Gasol has to have one of the lowest verticals in the NBA and Garnett isn't exactly a spectacular athlete anymore. Mbakwe's vertical is higher than all of the verticals I listed. You're honestly crazy if you think otherwise. This isn't debatable.

+1, I read both arguments :)

I ran a 4.6 in high school. That would make me faster than the majority of people on the planet but it doesn't make me a great athlete. Just like Trevors vertical being higher than those players doesn't make him a better athlete.

The guys I listed above aren't the greatest ever. They are all current NBA players. Boozer, Camby, Stoudemire, Gasol, Horford, Brand, aren't the greatest ever. They are all really good but great is debatable but I can't see how Trevor defends or scores on any of these guys. As for the PF's in this draft class, that's irrelevant. If there aren't any great PF's they won't get drafted. NBA teams only have 2 picks, they aren't going to draft players who aren't good enough no matter the position especially ones that are injured. He'll be a solid 2nd round pick next year and if he has a great year he could get in the 1st round.
This is what you originally said to which I responded originally you were saying that to be a great athlete you're saying he has to be one of the greatest ever:

This is the list I was referring to since I said I was disregarding the rest of your post.

I ran a 4.6 in high school. That would make me faster than the majority of people on the planet but it doesn't make me a great athlete. Just like Trevors vertical being higher than those players doesn't make him a better athlete.

There are other things that go into determining a players athleticism, but I don't have all the information to compare them. It doesn't matter though because fortunately for me I was born with the gift of sight, as were most of the people on this board. No matter how you look at it, Mbakwe is a better athlete than them. Not more skilled or a better player, but a better athlete. Period.

This is what you originally said to which I responded originally you were saying that to be a great athlete you're saying he has to be one of the greatest ever:

This is the list I was referring to since I said I was disregarding the rest of your post.

this great ahtlete talk is nonsense.. if you are going to say someone is great shouldn't he be comparable to the greatest ever? If he's not, he's a notch or 2 below end of story.

this great ahtlete talk is nonsense.. if you are going to say someone is great shouldn't he be comparable to the greatest ever? If he's not, he's a notch or 2 below end of story.

Your argument is pretty stupid. It isn't as stupid when compared to some of the greatest stupid posts we have read, but your argument is still stupid. Stupid not silly as silly would be a notch or two below stupid.

Over the past few games Rodney has shown an improved outside shot. Tubby loves his bigs, and there is no way Rodney will start at the 4. He got wore down way too much in the big10. He is doing better now that these teams haven't had to size as the squads in our league. Although i do love that line up, Rodney is a 3 and needs to be at the 3 for his development.

Rodney has made great strides to get back to the 3, which is where he needs to be if he wants to play pro. Trevor reclaiming the #4 is a good thing.

Rodney has made great strides to get back to the 3, which is where he needs to be if he wants to play pro. Trevor reclaiming the #4 is a good thing.

I am much more concerned about what makes the Gophers better rather than what gets Rodney ready for the pros. With the skills he currently has,he benefits the team a lot more at the 4.

I am much more concerned about what makes the Gophers better rather than what gets Rodney ready for the pros. With the skills he currently has,he benefits the team a lot more at the 4.
Not if he struggles to guard 4s in the post. Right now Rodney is able to play D at the 4 because he's not going against the bruisers, but when he did go against the bruisers he had EE back there to alter shots because he was bigger than the guy on Rodney. With Trevor at the 5, while he does have length and quicks) it is not as easy for him to just slide over and alter shots. With Rodney at the 3 (with an improved outside shot), Trevor at the 4 (offensively down in the post), and EE at the 5 (offensively in the high post/setting ball screens like he is now) we are better matched to play defense against the big Big Ten front courts.

Top Bottom