Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings

I wonder how much of this a "up your ass" to the michigan higher ups that gave him a pay cut. Maybe he said "OK, you want to play that game? I'll give you the best season you can hope for and just when you think everything is sky high, I'm going pro."

I know that's not what happened, but its fun to speculate.

You don’t think the Michigan team mattered nationally this year? I strongly disagree
Different eras. Tough to compare exactly.

But 2021 Mich losing in the semi, I would compare to 97 Mich losing its bowl game.

In most senses though, you are correct, they absolutely did matter nationally this seaosn.

Different eras. Tough to compare exactly.

But 2021 Mich losing in the semi, I would compare to 97 Mich losing its bowl game.

In most senses though, you are correct, they absolutely did matter nationally this seaosn.
I think you under appreciate what college football is. National championships are one of the least important things that makes people fans of college football.

I think you under appreciate what college football is. National championships are one of the least important things that makes people fans of college football.
We can agree to disagree on that. Certainly, for general and non-casual fans of college football, like yourself I presume, that makes sense.

It depends obviously on the definition of "matters" and what is "national CFB".

I could argue that a lot of people don't tune in or care outside of the natty, similar to folks who only tune in for the Super Bowl, though I think CFB natty is far less of a national event.

We can agree to disagree on that. Certainly, for general and non-casual fans of college football, like yourself I presume, that makes sense.

It depends obviously on the definition of "matters" and what is "national CFB".

I could argue that a lot of people don't tune in or care outside of the natty, similar to folks who only tune in for the Super Bowl, though I think CFB natty is far less of a national event.

CFB National Title game for a lot of fans is just an afterthought. During the season virtually all meaningful games are played on Saturday afternoons, with a handful of standalone games on other nights.

Then there is a monthlong break fans move on to other things, holidays, other sports whatever. The momentum is broken. It gets ramped up a bit with the Bowls, but then there is another break.

Then the National Title game happens on a January Monday Night plopped right in the middle of NFL playoffs and one needs to be Cable/Satellite/Streaming subscriber to watch. Most casual sports fans at least get ESPN, but those that only watch over the air TV are shut out.

I'm big College Football fan, but after working that day, I fell asleep around halftime. Contrast that to Super Sunday. It's essentially a National Holiday.

CFB National Title game for a lot of fans is just an afterthought. During the season virtually all meaningful games are played on Saturday afternoons, with a handful of standalone games on other nights.

Then there is a monthlong break fans move on to other things, holidays, other sports whatever. The momentum is broken. It gets ramped up a bit with the Bowls, but then there is another break.

Then the National Title game happens on a January Monday Night plopped right in the middle of NFL playoffs and one needs to be Cable/Satellite/Streaming subscriber to watch. Most casual sports fans at least get ESPN, but those that only watch over the air TV are shut out.

I'm big College Football fan, but after working that day, I fell asleep around halftime. Contrast that to Super Sunday. It's essentially a National Holiday.
There is much truth in this statement in my humble opinion.

It's partially the timing/outlet. It's partially that the "national championship" game has only existed for ~15-20 years and has mostly been dominated by 2-3 teams. Would March Madness have ever taken off if UCLA had continued winning 90% of the titles into the 1980's/90's the way they dominated the 60' and 70's?

It's partially the timing/outlet. It's partially that the "national championship" game has only existed for ~15-20 years and has mostly been dominated by 2-3 teams. Would March Madness have ever taken off if UCLA had continued winning 90% of the titles into the 1980's/90's the way they dominated the 60' and 70's?
Getting the nation fully engaged in college football, has an SEC/the south problem. And of course it does, since that's the area of the country that most cares for and develops the sport. Sure, plenty of great pros from California, Ohio, and other regions too.

But the NFL figured it out. Major college football will have to do the same, if it ever wants to be more than it is.

Good points.

Maybe with a 12 Team Field there would be some Brackets and Pools which could drum up interest?

Good points.

Maybe with a 12 Team Field there would be some Brackets and Pools which could drum up interest?
It might. But not if 2/3 of the games are blow-outs which is what I fear would happen. Alabama-Coastal Carolina sounds fun. But no one is watching a 52-7 game for very long. And unlike March Madness there won't be 3 other games on to flip to.

You don’t think the Michigan team mattered nationally this year? I strongly disagree
I thought their win vs a good OSU was kind of a fluke. OSU had two games where they shat the bed. Michigan had no business being in the same category as Ala or Ga this year.

Last edited:

Something at Michigan must be a precipitating factor

I thought their win vs a good OSU was kind of a fluke. OSU had two games where they shat the bed. Michigan had no business being in the same category as Ala or Ga this year.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Just watching Michigan as the season progressed they looked like the better team to me. I was picking them to win the East starting back in October. The win over Ohio State this year was not a fluke. The fluke was their loss to Michigan State. They absolutely dominated that game and should have won it.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Just watching Michigan as the season progressed they looked like the better team to me. I was picking them to win the East starting back in October. The win over Ohio State this year was not a fluke. The fluke was their loss to Michigan State. They absolutely dominated that game and should have won it.
I agree with this. Particularly Ohio state’s defense front couldn’t hold up to michigans OL

I just want to know if he leaves, can pj steal some of his recruits?

I just want to know if he leaves, can pj steal some of his recruits?
I get what you're saying, however, wouldn't all these guys have to go into the transfer pool first?

I get what you're saying, however, wouldn't all these guys have to go into the transfer pool first?
Isn't there a mechanism to be released from your NLI if your coach leaves between signing and arriving on campus, or was that just something that's been suggested?

The press would have a field day. Our two football programs run by a couple of odd ducks. (I love PJ, and this is no slam against him, but outsiders may think otherwise)

Isn't there a mechanism to be released from your NLI if your coach leaves between signing and arriving on campus, or was that just something that's been suggested?
It is something that has been suggested. Somebody could really screw a program, by quitting at the last moment after signing day, getting hired at the new school and then the recruits joining you. Kind of happened here, except that Morgan and others hadn't signed their forms yet.

Something at Michigan must be a precipitating factor
The "word" from Michigan message boards is that he asked to set up a NIL program to compete with tOSU and the SEC schools and Michigan said no. He sees the writing on the wall. He will continue to be held to a standard where he needs to compete with tOSU despite being at a drastic recruiting disadvantage.

I don't know if it's all bullsh!t, but that's what they say.

Well he is going back so either they flinched or his schtick didn't sell the Vikes.

I know I aint mad...

Sounds like he is back to Michigan. I’m sure they all hate each other like people in this thread claimed

Khakis apparently aren’t in style at the Vikings Athletic Complex.

The word of the year is COLLABORATIVE.

The "word" from Michigan message boards is that he asked to set up a NIL program to compete with tOSU and the SEC schools and Michigan said no. He sees the writing on the wall. He will continue to be held to a standard where he needs to compete with tOSU despite being at a drastic recruiting disadvantage.

I don't know if it's all bullsh!t, but that's what they say.
Michigan is starting to sound like a cesspool. Who would want to Row the Boat there?

Sounds like he is back to Michigan. I’m sure they all hate each other like people in this thread claimed

We will know after next year if he tries again. He supposedly told them he would not make this a yearly deal. Not sure anyone buys that.

We will know after next year if he tries again. He supposedly told them he would not make this a yearly deal. Not sure anyone buys that.
Not really. If he wants to go to nfl it means he can’t get along with the admin? Pretty big leap. A lot of people want to coach in the nfl

Top Bottom