Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings

Short version is harbaugh walked in entitled to the spot, was arrogant, is hard to work with (Leber when we were going to sign him said the exact opposite in that everyone he talked to said how he’ll wow you in interviews), and that he threw a fit when he had to complete a full interview day. It’s just another frustration when you’re looking for real sports takes and it’s all unimaginative garbage

To be fair Leber explained that as he never liked the idea of hiring him but couldn't exactly rip him before the interview since he was going to have deal with him if he was the head coach and that would be problematic. (a couple others said something similar) He said that while he did talk to players who liked Harbaugh he also talked to plenty of people who did not like the hire who knew Harbaugh from before.

In reality he should have just said nothing because he was painting himself into a corner either way.

I still think it came down to philosophy.

Harbaugh is 58. he doesn't want to come to MN to be part of a rebuild or revamp. he wants to win now. that means more short-term fixes and stop-gap measures when it comes to roster moves and contracts, including Kirk.

The Vikings - especially with Adolfo-Mensa at GM, are looking at the big picture - coming up with a plan for long-term success.

My bet is that the two sides had different visions for the immediate future of the team, and in the end, the Vikes decided to take the long-term approach over the short-term fix.

Supposedly, when the Vikes interviewed O'Connell, he had all kinds of ideas about building the roster and QB development, and the Vikes brain trust was very impressed.

In the end, it's really this simple - they liked O'Connell more than Harbaugh.
Did anyone in the room have a clearly-defined sense of the immediate future of the team? Should be a good offense (perhaps very good), but do they try to jettison Cousins, take a step back, and then build from the bottom up to some extent? Defense looks iffy, but defenses can get good, if not overnight, fairly quickly.

The whole thing is embarrassing for the vikes and kfan. If leber says problematic one more time.

To be fair Leber explained that as he never liked the idea of hiring him but couldn't exactly rip him before the interview since he was going to have deal with him if he was the head coach and that would be problematic. (a couple others said something similar) He said that while he did talk to players who liked Harbaugh he also talked to plenty of people who did not like the hire who knew Harbaugh from before.

In reality he should have just said nothing because he was painting himself into a corner either way.
Agree with your last paragraph. It’s the problem I have with him generally in his role as an “analyst”. He just gives you nothing because he tries to have takes but backtracks repeatedly. Either you stand by it or you just don’t say it. You can either be the bland homer like PA or you just say it how it is and, oddly enough, people will respect you about it if you have some substance. He just doesn’t do either

I think the Vikings made the right move going with the younger guy. Someone who has be a part of an offense not seen here since the Randy Moss days.
The Vikings offense was 2 pts per game worse than the rams offense that the new coach coordinated

and we aren’t getting the play caller

but he might be really good. This hire is both more upside potential and more downside potential than harbaugh

The Vikings offense was 2 pts per game worse than the rams offense that the new coach coordinated

and we aren’t getting the play caller

but he might be really good. This hire is both more upside potential and more downside potential than harbaugh
All I can say is: Zac Taylor.

You can't really tell me that this is all that impressive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Taylor#Coaching_career

And yet, Super Bowl.

Of course, obviously, the massive part of that is Joe Burrow. But, Taylor helped to develop him. The Wikipedia article above also credits him with development of Ryan Tannehill during that time.

They have a 55 year old D coord who had mostly been a DB coach before being hired as the DC in 2019. But they did have a good defense this year.

So, it would seem like this is at least as good a hire as that. Hopefully he hires a solid DC.

All I can say is: Zac Taylor.

You can't really tell me that this is all that impressive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Taylor#Coaching_career

And yet, Super Bowl.

Of course, obviously, the massive part of that is Joe Burrow. But, Taylor helped to develop him. The Wikipedia article above also credits him with development of Ryan Tannehill during that time.

So, it would seem like this is at least as good a hire as that.
I mean if he is Zac Taylor, great hire

but he literally isn’t Zac Taylor so we will have to wait and see.

I mean if he is Zac Taylor, great hire

but he literally isn’t Zac Taylor so we will have to wait and see.
Why is Zac Taylor such a great coach? He wasn't even OC for the Rams, just the QB coach. He was a QB in college.

O'C was a QB in college and in the league. And he was OC for the Rams.

On paper (I am fully acknowledging this), it seems impossible for him to be not as good.

Why is Zac Taylor such a great coach? He wasn't even OC for the Rams, just the QB coach. He was a QB in college.

O'C was a QB in college and in the league. And he was OC for the Rams.

On paper (I am fully acknowledging this), it seems impossible for him to be not as good.
Zac Taylor had upward mobility in the nfl so fast in large part due to his father in law being a former NFL coach. He got opportunities due to connections. So far it seems he is better than Clint kubiak and Zimmer’s kid

I have very few thoughts on the Viking coach. I have no idea how he will be. I am not sure anyone else is either. Maybe we got the next genius young coach. Maybe we got the next lane kiffin. Maybe we got the next Joe Judge.
We will see

I am convinced harbizzle laughed at the mn staff. Kwesi is the 3 yr engineer interviewing the 30 yr engineer. Clown show.

I see that Gattis, the guy most of the fans seemed like they wanted as Harbaugh's replacement, just took the OC job at Miami. Can't imagine that is going over well with the fanbase.

Miami has coaching and they have NIL. Certainly have talent near them.

Seems like they shouldn't stay down like Nebraska, forever.

I am convinced harbizzle laughed at the mn staff. Kwesi is the 3 yr engineer interviewing the 30 yr engineer. Clown show.
I am convinced that even Doogie is more believable than you are...which is pretty sad.

I see that Gattis, the guy most of the fans seemed like they wanted as Harbaugh's replacement, just took the OC job at Miami. Can't imagine that is going over well with the fanbase.
Yeah. Rumors are he had a falling out with the admin and had texted some players he felt under appreciated.
So basically I think they told him he wasn’t the guy if harbaugh left.

when Michigan ends up falling apart over the next 3-4 years maybe the realign the divisions hysteria dies down.

Yeah. Rumors are he had a falling out with the admin and had texted some players he felt under appreciated.
So basically I think they told him he wasn’t the guy if harbaugh left.

when Michigan ends up falling apart over the next 3-4 years maybe the realign the divisions hysteria dies down.
So your thinking Harbaugh will have Michigan falling apart ?

So your thinking Harbaugh will have Michigan falling apart ?
If all his assistants jump ship on him, his admin hates him (like some have speculated) and Ohio state beats him next year then he might get fired with a 8-4 season next year:

Then again I tend to believe harbaugh is a good coach and they’ll continually go 8-4 or better and I would never fire him for that.
I hope they fire him and fall apart

Can't believe he ditched the team on signing day. If you flirt with the NFL and ultimately land back with your college team, its pretty easy to explain to your administration, and players that the NFL is too great an opportunity to pass on, and give a lesson about personal growth in a career, but to ditch them on a pretty important day is not so easy to explain.

Can't believe he ditched the team on signing day. If you flirt with the NFL and ultimately land back with your college team, its pretty easy to explain to your administration, and players that the NFL is too great an opportunity to pass on, and give a lesson about personal growth in a career, but to ditch them on a pretty important day is not so easy to explain.
Sure did a great job with 2022 class and off to a good start in 2023. Guy just won the Big 10 , beat Ohio State and went to the final 4.

Feb signing day is just not that important with the early period. More symbolic than anything.

I think he'll be fine. Probably was a humbling experience for him. Perhaps drive him even harder to re-prove himself to Michigan (former) players and fans.

Feb signing day is just not that important with the early period. More symbolic than anything.

I think he'll be fine. Probably was a humbling experience for him. Perhaps drive him even harder to re-prove himself to Michigan (former) players and fans.
The problem for Harbaugh is that there is really nowhere to go but down for him right now outside of winning the National Championship.

They made the CFP and crushed Ohio State. Anything less than that in 2022 is going to look like a failure.

The problem for Harbaugh is that there is really nowhere to go but down for him right now outside of winning the National Championship.

They made the CFP and crushed Ohio State. Anything less than that in 2022 is going to look like a failure.
I bet he could not make the CFP, but if he still beats Ohio St then Michigan fans will be elated. Two in a row!

Haven't done that since 1999-2000.

Since 2001, Michigan has won three times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan–Ohio_State_football_rivalry#Game_results

Really...so we should expect 11 win seasons from Fleck or it is a failure?

Really...so we should expect 11 win seasons from Fleck or it is a failure?
lol....not what i said at all.

Expectations at a place like Michigan are going to be far higher than they are here. 2021 was close to a perfect season for them, nowhere to go but down and it will be really hard to maintain the same level.

Not saying he is going to get fired if they don't repeat 2021. But fans are likely to be less forgiving towards him, since he openly pursued an NFL job in the off season, should they fail to beat Ohio State or win the Big Ten in 2022.

Top Bottom