Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings

I'm not. I don't think he was high on the list of interviews and probably was added with the GM hire.
It would appear the media thought they were on to something and ran with it and it snow balled.

Its really not but hey neither of us are part of the discussions so who knows.
Which is what I’m arguing. While others are making wild claims. Maybe they don’t get along. No evidence to suggest it.

Are you suggesting that people have opinions and they might not be correct? On the internet?

0018661f-c3da-473d-bc9e-9803ce62e06b_text.gif

As the Herd says, "He doesn't get along with others." Can't have that kind coach on the Vikings staff. He may have trouble getting onboard elsewhere, and if he does, will be interesting what the environment is after he's been around a bit.
I worry less about him giving the GM enough hugs and more about the game.

We’re not EVEN talking about practice…

As the Herd says, "He doesn't get along with others." Can't have that kind coach on the Vikings staff. He may have trouble getting onboard elsewhere, and if he does, will be interesting what the environment is after he's been around a bit.
isn't this all coming from the ending of his time with the 49ers, which KAM was present during and still ok with considering him? Plus it was with Baalke, who then went on to destroy the 49ers (leading to their rebuild) and has done a nice job making the Jags look like a laughingstock.

I'm not in favor of this.

NOT because I think Harbaugh is a bad coach.

BUT because I think Harbaugh is a short-term solution. 3 or 4 years and he winds up leaving while burning bridges behind him.

The Vikings have been all about short-term solutions for 20+ years - mostly at the QB position.

So now, the Vikes hire a young brain wizard GM. People think, "wow, a fresh new approach for the franchise."

if the GM's 1st move is to hire a short-term, stop-gap solution at HC, that tells me that the Wilfs are running the show, and have told the new GM "no rebuild. Do whatever you have to to win as many games as possible next year."

I would rather go with a young coach, even if it means a couple of bad seasons, IF the franchise is put on a path for long-term success.
Everyone is short term at any position… until they find the right guy.

That’s the nfl.

We could have just stuck with zimmer…

Everyone is short term at any position… until they find the right guy.

That’s the nfl.

We could have just stuck with zimmer…
So, you would have been happy with Brewster for another year or so as we had trouble finding a coach until Kill finally agreed to it?

We're going for what the Bengals did. It worked.

We need to get a Joe Burrow, to pair with our new coach.

I am in the camp that says Harbaugh laughed at the Vikings leadership from top to bottom and was then shown the door.

Barreiro is giving his "opinion" - KAM wanted to hire Harbaugh, but the Wilfs said "No," thereby
"proving" that the new GM has no authority, and the entire regime is doomed to failure -- or something like that.

Meanwhile, on PA's "Vikings' Happy Talk" show, virtually no mention of Harbaugh. O'Connell is the man - an offensive genius and the favored HC candidate all along.

I am in the camp that says Harbaugh laughed at the Vikings leadership from top to bottom and was then shown the door.

saw this tweet today from St. Paul Pioneer Press writer:

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

I just got a text from Jim Harbaugh, returning to Michigan job after #Vikings interview: “The Wilf family and organization are first class all the way and in every way and Kwesi (Adofo-Mensah) is a shining star! The team is poised for greatness.” Classy comments from Harbaugh.

saw this tweet today from St. Paul Pioneer Press writer:

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

I just got a text from Jim Harbaugh, returning to Michigan job after #Vikings interview: “The Wilf family and organization are first class all the way and in every way and Kwesi (Adofo-Mensah) is a shining star! The team is poised for greatness.” Classy comments from Harbaugh.
Exactly

So, you would have been happy with Brewster for another year or so as we had trouble finding a coach until Kill finally agreed to it?
I think you misunderstood.

I’m not in favor of the idea I responded to.

How do you know? You have no clue what they were looking for, what he was asking for or if they were even on the same page. If he asked for Gruden money you really want to give it to him? Based on what his epic career of late? He hasn't coached in the NFL since 2014...

Don't you find it a little interesting that we were the only team to even give him a serious look including The Bears who know him well? Even The Raiders, known for making rash decisions and throwing money around barely kicked the tires.

Leaving out provocateurs like Barreiro (who would bash the hire if they made it cause he always speaks out of both sides of his mouth) and Rose Colored Glasses Paul Allen (who will love whoever they hire and ignore the rest) it doesn't seem like people in the know thought it was that great an idea to hire him. It isn't like he is an offensive genius or anything he just seems like a bad fit for a team that is trying to get away from the old school football mentality.

It reminds me of when we have coaching hires here and people throw out all the random names they know not knowing anything about what it would cost, what their philosophy would be or even if they would be interested. That is just a name they know so they lazily throw it out there and then get mad when it doesn't come to fruition.

How do you know? You have no clue what they were looking for, what he was asking for or if they were even on the same page. If he asked for Gruden money you really want to give it to him? Based on what his epic career of late? He hasn't coached in the NFL since 2014...

Don't you find it a little interesting that we were the only team to even give him a serious look including The Bears who know him well? Even The Raiders, known for making rash decisions and throwing money around barely kicked the tires.

Leaving out provocateurs like Barreiro (who would bash the hire if they made it cause he always speaks out of both sides of his mouth) and Rose Colored Glasses Paul Allen (who will love whoever they hire and ignore the rest) it doesn't seem like people in the know thought it was that great an idea to hire him. It isn't like he is an offensive genius or anything he just seems like a bad fit for a team that is trying to get away from the old school football mentality.

It reminds me of when we have coaching hires here and people throw out all the random names they know not knowing anything about what it would cost, what their philosophy would be or even if they would be interested. That is just a name they know so they lazily throw it out there and then get mad when it doesn't come to fruition.
Are you having trouble with the idea of people having different opinions?

One thing I know for sure. Many more Vikings fans on here than I thought they would be.

I think the Vikings made the right move going with the younger guy. Someone who has be a part of an offense not seen here since the Randy Moss days.

I do respect that Harbaugh was transparent throughout this process, especially with the PR mess it created in Ann Arbor.

Just sounds like it wasn't a mutual fit.

I agree with this. Harbaugh may be a really weird guy, but he is a stand up guy at the same time.

I agree with this. Harbaugh may be a really weird guy, but he is a stand up guy at the same time.
Harbaugh is a throwback in a lot of ways and it's my guess that is what likely worked against him to some extent with the Vikings. That's not to say the Vikings were wrong, but in the rearview mirror one can surmise that this wasn't going to be a comfortable fit. I'm not anti-analytics, but success on the football field is always going to rely on knocking the other guys down more than you get knocked down. Harbaugh likely defines the process of finding talent and deploying that talent differently than the Vikings' decision-makers and therein lies the rub.

Getting back to your basic point, I've always been impressed with Harbaugh as a stand-up guy.

I don't think the Vikings ever intended to or even feel like they played Harbaugh. Why would they do that?

Someone said I think, and seems perfectly reasonable to me: the Vikings only ever intended to treat Harbaugh like a finalist, the same as Graham. Harbaugh assumed he had the job, and the national media just ran with that, as if it were the truth.

No one is talking about "how could they fly Graham here and meet with him for 9hrs in person in Eagan if they didn't intend to give him the job?!"

Harbaugh is a throwback in a lot of ways and it's my guess that is what likely worked against him to some extent with the Vikings. That's not to say the Vikings were wrong, but in the rearview mirror one can surmise that this wasn't going to be a comfortable fit. I'm not anti-analytics, but success on the football field is always going to rely on knocking the other guys down more than you get knocked down. Harbaugh likely defines the process of finding talent and deploying that talent differently than the Vikings' decision-makers and therein lies the rub.

Getting back to your basic point, I've always been impressed with Harbaugh as a stand-up guy.
this is the part that makes me laugh at the MN media guys who are saying Harbaugh was arrogant, thought the job was his, he is a bad guy/hard to work with when, in reality, he probably heard about the Vikes interest because of the new GM plus feeling the roster was something he could work with, then as they hashed out the roles, decided that this one opportunity this year he'd consider wasn't for him. Listening to guys like Leber try make it something it's not is just confusing and in no way makes anything about what happened look better. All signs point to it just being a difference of opinion on how to construct a good football team

this is the part that makes me laugh at the MN media guys who are saying Harbaugh was arrogant, thought the job was his, he is a bad guy/hard to work with when, in reality, he probably heard about the Vikes interest because of the new GM plus feeling the roster was something he could work with, then as they hashed out the roles, decided that this one opportunity this year he'd consider wasn't for him. Listening to guys like Leber try make it something it's not is just confusing and in no way makes anything about what happened look better. All signs point to it just being a difference of opinion on how to construct a good football team
As the Vikings' flagship, anything on KFAN has to be taken with a grain of salt and that's the way with the modern media.

Nothing can simply "be what it is" anymore. There always has to be some angle unbeknownst to the great unwashed that has to be regurgitated endlessly. That's what clicks and ears are all about, so I can live with that. I just can't get the "don't let the screen door hit you a$$ on the way back to Ann Arbor" schtick that some have decided to spout. I didn't hear Leber's take, so I can't comment.

I guess my only point (and I say this as an arms-length fan of the pro game) is that of the folks assembled in the interview room, Harbaugh was likely the best football mind. Whether the visions matched is an appropriate question and that's upon what the discussion should center.

As the Vikings' flagship, anything on KFAN has to be taken with a grain of salt and that's the way with the modern media.

Nothing can simply "be what it is" anymore. There always has to be some angle unbeknownst to the great unwashed that has to be regurgitated endlessly. That's what clicks and ears are all about, so I can live with that. I just can't get the "don't let the screen door hit you a$$ on the way back to Ann Arbor" schtick that some have decided to spout. I didn't hear Leber's take, so I can't comment.

I guess my only point (and I say this as an arms-length fan of the pro game) is that of the folks assembled in the interview room, Harbaugh was likely the best football mind. Whether the visions matched is an appropriate question and that's upon what the discussion should center.
Short version is harbaugh walked in entitled to the spot, was arrogant, is hard to work with (Leber when we were going to sign him said the exact opposite in that everyone he talked to said how he’ll wow you in interviews), and that he threw a fit when he had to complete a full interview day. It’s just another frustration when you’re looking for real sports takes and it’s all unimaginative garbage

I still think it came down to philosophy.

Harbaugh is 58. he doesn't want to come to MN to be part of a rebuild or revamp. he wants to win now. that means more short-term fixes and stop-gap measures when it comes to roster moves and contracts, including Kirk.

The Vikings - especially with Adolfo-Mensa at GM, are looking at the big picture - coming up with a plan for long-term success.

My bet is that the two sides had different visions for the immediate future of the team, and in the end, the Vikes decided to take the long-term approach over the short-term fix.

Supposedly, when the Vikes interviewed O'Connell, he had all kinds of ideas about building the roster and QB development, and the Vikes brain trust was very impressed.

In the end, it's really this simple - they liked O'Connell more than Harbaugh.

Are you having trouble with the idea of people having different opinions?
No I am having a problem understanding your opinion because you aren't actually giving me any reason why you have it.

Here let me help "can you please explain to me why you think Jim Harbaugh was the right coach"? The team obviously disagrees but I would like to know the context behind your opinion.

Questioning your opinion is part of a conversation, it doesn't mean I am attacking you or even saying you are wrong per se.

Top Bottom