Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings

lol....not what i said at all.

Expectations at a place like Michigan are going to be far higher than they are here. 2021 was close to a perfect season for them, nowhere to go but down and it will be really hard to maintain the same level.

Not saying he is going to get fired if they don't repeat 2021. But fans are likely to be less forgiving towards him, since he openly pursued an NFL job in the off season, should they fail to beat Ohio State or win the Big Ten in 2022.
Essentially, you did. You picked the best season Mich has had in 25 years and said anything less would be seen as a failure.

Essentially, you did. You picked the best season Mich has had in 25 years and said anything less would be seen as a failure.
*sigh*....I explained what I meant since apparently it was confusing to you....but feel free to tell me what I meant because clearly you would know better than I would what I was trying to say.

I bet he could not make the CFP, but if he still beats Ohio St then Michigan fans will be elated. Two in a row!

Haven't done that since 1999-2000.

Since 2001, Michigan has won three times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan–Ohio_State_football_rivalry#Game_results
Back to back wins over Ohio State would get him back in the good graces of a lot of fans. Winning against Michigan State would probably help as well. Was surprised to see that MSU has gone 10-4 against Michigan since 2008.

But yeah, fans of both Ohio State and Michigan will overlook a lot as long as you win that matchup more often than not.

*sigh*....I explained what I meant since apparently it was confusing to you....but feel free to tell me what I meant because clearly you would know better than I would what I was trying to say.
Your post..."They made the CFP and crushed Ohio State. Anything less than that in 2022 is going to look like a failure." No confusion here, maybe you with my analogy? You used Mich best season in 25 years, and argubly second best season in 50+ years as the expectation bar for failure.

If all his assistants jump ship on him, his admin hates him (like some have speculated) and Ohio state beats him next year then he might get fired with a 8-4 season next year:

Then again I tend to believe harbaugh is a good coach and they’ll continually go 8-4 or better and I would never fire him for that.
I hope they fire him and fall apart

It will likely take more than just a single season for them to can him. (unless someone they covet wants the job) Even if he ticked off everyone in power he beat OSU and made the Fake Tourny he has earned a couple years reprieve.

I think Harbaugh is a good coach but I think Michigan expects their coaches to be great. I am not sure they are ready to accept the new normal that they are basically the Iowa of the Big Ten East. (yes Michigan is better than Iowa) They are going to make the Big Ten Title Game every so often but not nearly as often as OSU. If they are willing to accept that and work with that then he is perfect for them and he even might beat some expectations. If they feel they should be a national power on par with OSU and that they should also beat MSU way more often than they do then 8-4 isn't likely to keep them satisfied very long.

Your post..."They made the CFP and crushed Ohio State. Anything less than that in 2022 is going to look like a failure." No confusion here, maybe you with my analogy? You used Mich best season in 25 years, and argubly second best season in 50+ years as the expectation bar for failure.
Was the 2020 Gopher season not seen as a step back by many even with COVID in play?

Good lord man.....did you miss the "look like" part. Fans have crazy expectations, especially at places like Michigan, we even see it here on a lighter level. I have tried to explain what I meant, not sure why you can't move past it.

Didn't say he was going to get fired next year if they don't beat OSU or make the CFP. Just pointing out that at Michigan the only real direction things are likely to go for him next year is down given how the 2021 season went.

Good lord man.....did you miss the "look like" part. Fans have crazy expectations, especially at places like Michigan, we even see it here on a lighter level. I have tried to explain what I meant, not sure why you can't move past it.

Didn't say he was going to get fired next year if they don't beat OSU or make the CFP. Just pointing out that at Michigan the only real direction things are likely to go for him next year is down given how the 2021 season went.
"Look like" vs "seen" (my word). Apparently a big difference to you?

"Look like" vs "seen" (my word). Apparently a big difference to you?
lol...apologies to the board for this worthless argument. I am going to just hope others can figure out what I was trying to say move on. If you want to use PMW's interpretation of what I had to say that is fine as well..... :)

Top Bottom