Michael Carter arrested and jailed for obstructing the legal process

what we need!

We need a boxing program. We also need a class on "how not to be a dumb ass".

Ok, the TCF/liquor argument is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard...but this is out of the norm. College kids drink. Pricks and idiots drink, then try and start a fight with two (likely much smaller) guys, when they're rolling with a number of players from their D1 FOOTBALL TEAM....then top it all off by getting lippy/belligerent with the police.

The norm is kids drink and get in fights in college.

A few kids out of nearly 90 is about the norm for this stuff.

Look at your own group of friends and extended circles in college.

They were not even in a fight BTW.

I am annoyed about this just as much as anyone, but I am not going to over-react. Bench him for a game, he'll learn his lesson. It is too bad he couldn't learn it from just seeing some of this stuff earlier in the year.

Alchohol impares your judgement and makes you do things you wouldn't if you were sober.

There is a lot of trouble to get into in Minneapolis, but there is no quicker way to get yourself in trouble than disragarding cops. And Minneapolis has never been a place where athletes are given any preferential treatment. Good luck to Michael Carter. Booozin' has been the knock-out puch to the career of many athletes.

Fortunately, the guys didn't fight or this could have escalated into something much, much larger involving more players. I'm also encouraged by the teammates that encouraged him to comply with the officers and get the whole encounter over with.

I agree with just about everyone else in this thread (aside from the WTF comment on how this relates to not selling beer in TCF) that this was incredibly stupid on Carter's part, and there should be some discipline that involves him missing at least a game. At a minimum maybe it keeps someone else from doing something even more moronic. These are the kind of situations that wind up with someone getting capped. Just ask Whaley.

That said, anytime I see someone charged with "resisting arrest" or "obstructing the legal process", its a flag that the cops didn't have a real crime to charge him with. For better or worse, pissing off a cop isn't illegal. It just isn't a terribly bright thing to do. Remember that Harvard professor a few months ago? Maybe Bruininks can invite the cop and Carter over to Eastcliff for a beer?

P.S. The one silver lining in this mess: The strib article mentioned that several other Gopher players were trying to get Carter to STFU and listen to the five-oh. So perhaps the message is getting received?

Where did he get the beer or liquor?

Are you trying to hold somebody else responsible for his stupidity? Just go to any dorm, frat, apartment, or college house on or around campus.

Honest question for the board...

particularly for ones close to the program.

I'm just wondering - do these kids get training on situations like this - kind of like a Football 101 - common sense? I know they get training on interviewing, but have always wondered if they get advice on things like this, Facebook updates, etc.? Or is it kind of like sex ed where they just teach abstinence. Kids will be kids, and let's face it, a lot of kids (including myself) drank underage. Although they are under the microscope, and should be very careful of image and getting caught, I get it's going to happen, I'm realistic. However, this whole resisting arrest and wrestling with officers is what really shocks me. Had his story been like Kenny Watkins - got caught, got a minor, a slap on the wrist, that's something that can easily be overlooked. I'm just wondering if they're taught these things...if you are in a bind, how to act?

Oh, and btw - please...stop fighting! Everyone knows athletes, and many will try to pick fights with you (not in this case, but in general). Take your aggressions out on the field.

I usually found mine in a bottle or a can.

Best case scenarios Maturi investigates this until next week so Carter can play against Illinois. Then bench him for SDSU and bring him back for Iowa. Let's hope for it.

There is some obvious lack of discipline on this team and it is maddening. Our coaches must be push-overs.

Note to Brew: lack of player discipline can do the team a lot of damage both on and off the field. Maybe this will lead to some more effective, badly needed teaching moments and behavioral seminars.

"Discipline" - to punish or penalize in order to train and control; correct; chastise; punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.

You have to have something to discipline, correct. 18 year olds make dumb decisions, there need to be consequences. I think Whaley, Dandridge, and McKinley know that, now Carter and Watkins will.

You can't plan for everything and you can warn kids until you're blue in the face. Now they'll see what happens.

PENALTIES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, stop trying to link the unlinkable...

Great thread...

Maybe the best teaching moment GH can deliver on this subject is to have it go on for weeks!

No, I'm not tying to hold someone else responsible. And the jokes on here about where everyone else got their's in college is pathetic. What your saying is that underage drinking is acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

"Discipline" - to punish or penalize in order to train and control; correct; chastise; punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.

You have to have something to discipline, correct. 18 year olds make dumb decisions, there need to be consequences. I think Whaley, Dandridge, and McKinley know that, now Carter and Watkins will.

You can't plan for everything and you can warn kids until you're blue in the face. Now they'll see what happens.

Dude I saw what you wrote in the other thread and you have no idea what you are talking about. IT FALLS on discipline you moron. Coaches need to instill discipline in there division one athletes who are getting full rides!!!! Think about it. Making dumb decisions including personal foul penalties and countless arrests revolve around discipline.

Self discipline is about not taking stupid penalties...self discipline is also about not making these stupid off field decisions...WHAM!!!! THERE"S A LINK!!!!!!

Self discipline is about not taking stupid penalties...self discipline is also about not making these stupid off field decisions...WHAM!!!! THERE"S A LINK!!!!!!

And then someone else said Iowa leads in arrests and has fewest penalties. So that blows up your "link". The link is that these events are all by underclassmen still only a few months into their college experience.

1. We're moving towards a big time program (please don't tangent off that and talk about where the program is headed) which means we're getting players with bigger egos that expand with alcohol, so they think they can take on the five-oh...this is something we're not used to but if you go to a florida school, texas school, and other big time school this happens a few times a year for sure...

2. I don't know if we have a college class 101 for our football players but they need to drive it into their brain that yes, they are public figures, and yes, they can beat up most of the people they run into on the streets...so there isn't a reason to prove that

3. For how forgiving the cops have been this year, you have to do some really dumb stuff to even get a minor or arrested like this...I mean, when i read this and knowing how this was just on the streets, i just laughed a little on how dumb they must've been acting.

<b>But typically most Division 1 college athletes try to stay sober during the season. The ones who don't aren't taking things very seriously; It's as simple as that.</b>

you're pretty clueless aren't you?

Think about it. Making dumb decisions including personal foul penalties and countless arrests revolve around discipline.

Why does Iowa LEAD the Big Ten in arrests and LEAD the Big Ten in fewest penalties?

Dude I saw what you wrote in the other thread and you have no idea what you are talking about. IT FALLS on discipline you moron. Coaches need to instill discipline in there division one athletes who are getting full rides!!!! Think about it. Making dumb decisions including personal foul penalties and countless arrests revolve around discipline.

I haven't seen one personal foul penalty worthy of a flag this year, yes they have been flagged, but MANY have been BS judgment calls by the refs. Sorry I just don't agree with that sort of unemotional brand of football, my opinion.
More importantly,
The "countless" arrests you speak of is 1 arrest, 1, the others were let go.
Carter was an idiot, will be punished, will be suspended. Kids do stupid stupid things, here's to hoping he learns and grows and moves on to have a sterling career here.

No, I'm not tying to hold someone else responsible. And the jokes on here about where everyone else got their's in college is pathetic. What your saying is that underage drinking is acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

1- I'll say that, sure. Underage drinking is ok as long as you don't get caught. Personally, I feel bad for kids that would like to drink, but stay away until it's legal (if such kids exist).

2- Not trying to be a jerk or anything but...spell check. Please.

But typically most Division 1 college athletes try to stay sober during the season.

This ain't BYU....Division I college athletes do not try to stay sober during the season.

Relax. There's a stat that about 75% of college kids get minors before turning 21. If you were in the majority I'd tell you to keep going on your soap box, but since you're not I think you need to stop being so righteous.

There's a saying: "Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment"

Chalk this one up as experience and hopefully the young man learns his lesson.

First off, many of the jokes are chuckle-worthy. Not really funny, not pathetic. The point the jokes are driving at, however, is that there's about 100 ways for the average college student to get booze. It's not difficult. I can't honestly remember one time in my (pre-21) college career where I was unable to find booze when I wanted some. And I wasn't on the football team. If I were, I imagine that 100 ways becomes about 1,000. There's no point wasting any time trying to figure out who got the booze. The problem isn't that someone supplied him with liquor, it's what he chose to do once he consumed it. You say you're not trying to hold others responsible in this case, but to try and track down the source, IMHO, is to deflect some of the blame and responsibility off Michael.

Best case scenarios Maturi investigates this until next week so Carter can play against Illinois. Then bench him for SDSU and bring him back for Iowa. Let's hope for it.

SDSU is probably a better team than Illinois.

SDSU is probably a better team than Illinois.

I don't think I'd go that far. Illinois is without a doubt the more talented team, and they looked like they put it together on Saturday.

There's a stat that about 75% of college kids get minors before turning 21.

Please cite. I highly doubt this is accurate.

Nearly all HS and college kids drink at some point or another, but most are smart enough to not get caught.

they'll be off the team in two days.

yeah, ok

"The officer requested back-up help, and when another officer arrived both went inside Mesa Pizza and took the two players outside. Watkins complied with instructions for a pat search, but Carter refused to put his hands on a wall, and when an officer grabbed his arm attempting to throw him to the ground, Carter spun around. Both officers then attempted to get control of Carter, who continued to resist the officers even as several additional Gophers football players came outside and yelled at him to stop."

At least someone there was telling him to stop, and Watkins appeared to be compliant, this one's on Carter, suspend him and move on.

Top Bottom