Mel Tucker DID get fired. With cause.

Interesting contrarian take on this. Even if Clay’s speculation is mostly accurate, Mel Tucker’s lack of judgement in pursuing this relationship is concerning (in my opinion). Clay questions whether what he did is a crime. However, as others have pointed out, a morals clause doesn’t require a crime.

Last edited:

Interesting contrarian take on this. Even if Clay’s speculation is mostly accurate, Mel Tucker’s lack of judgement in pursuing this relationship is concerning (in my opinion). Clay questions whether what he did is a crime. However, as others have pointed out, a morals clause doesn’t require a crime.
Not well reasoned at all. Any college or university will have an employee code of conduct policy that makes engaging in a relationship with someone you have power over in your report line or any influence over whatsoever, whether in your report line or not, an absolute no-go. By easy extrapolation, this would include an outside vendor.

Tucker undermined all of the work he was supposedly doing around sexual violence by overstepping the line. The optics are absolutely terrible and this creates a public relations nightmare for the school. Given the environment of Title IX and the strict adherence to zero tolerance for sexual misconduct among the student body at most institutions of higher education, college and university employees are also held to a higher standard. I’m sure hanky panky goes on all the time but when you have (had) Mel Tucker’s contract, you essentially have a huge target on your back. Incredibly stupid of him. The dude’s 51 for chrissakes.

Not well reasoned at all. Any college or university will have an employee code of conduct policy that makes engaging in a relationship with someone you have power over in your report line or any influence over whatsoever, whether in your report line or not, an absolute no-go. By easy extrapolation, this would include an outside vendor.

Tucker undermined all of the work he was supposedly doing around sexual violence by overstepping the line. The optics are absolutely terrible and this creates a public relations nightmare for the school. Given the environment of Title IX and the strict adherence to zero tolerance for sexual misconduct among the student body at most institutions of higher education, college and university employees are also held to a higher standard. I’m sure hanky panky goes on all the time but when you have (had) Mel Tucker’s contract, you essentially have a huge target on your back. Incredibly stupid of him. The dude’s 51 for chrissakes.
It looks like Mel (and Brenda for that matter) only skimmed the page in the employee handbook that stated "Don s&*t where you eat and don't f$#k (phone f$#king included) where you work."

Clay loads a whole hayrack full of conjecture in his presentation.

Last edited:

I am definitely guessing, but it seems like she has a decent idea who did it because she was prepared for it. Now, she could be wrong in her assumptions but I think she believes someone from Tucker's camp did it which is also my guess. It is possible that someone who wants to get rid of Tucker did it as well, but outting her seems like a bad move even though it makes Mel look even worse.

Whoever did it should definitely make sure they covered their tracks because it could get ugly if they themselves are outted.

I am definitely guessing, but it seems like she has a decent idea who did it because she was prepared for it. Now, she could be wrong in her assumptions but I think she believes someone from Tucker's camp did it which is also my guess. It is possible that someone who wants to get rid of Tucker did it as well, but outting her seems like a bad move even though it makes Mel look even worse.

Whoever did it should definitely make sure they covered their tracks because it could get ugly if they themselves are outted.

Always interesting to me how she had leaked it to USA today but is now upset that the story ran earlier than she planned. The minute you tell a 3rd party, you lose control of the story especially when that is a purported news agency. I think this is the first story they've actually broken since 1990...

Let's get that video of the Ferentzes banging pigs and we can make it a class action
The firm of Porker, Hogg, and Bacon are ready to roll to seek damages for the harm inflicted on the poor innocents! Rumor has it there are text messages of Brian Ferentz seeking additional liaisons!

Pigsmall.jpg

I think it makes a huge difference for Mel Tucker’s future job prospects. I don’t think it makes any difference for his Michigan state situation
As long as he wasn't given a technical foul.........

Melvin Tucker, came home late and missed his supper…

Fleck to MSU made a more sense in 2019 to me.
His stock was higher as was Michigan states
Coaches can't stay one place too long. IF, PJ had the Michigan State opportunity...that's 10 years at $10 million per year guaranteed minimum and you are safe for 5 years to install the culture.
No worries for several seasons.
I doubt a 6 and 6 outlook gets an offer, however. He's gotta right the ship here to remain in the running doesn't he?
Elko and Leipold seem a couple hotter steps ahead in the pecking order?

I am not sure we will ever know the full story here. I don't know if any of you read Mel Tucker's version of events in the ESPN story from last week, but it paints a different picture. I find it odd that a call where one sided phone sex was occurring lasted for 30 minutes. I also find it odd that Tucker was willing to admit to this behavior (which you could argue is cause for termination on its own and is at least a horrible look for a 51 year old married man to engage in with a younger woman who has been paid by the University to speak to his players on issues of sexual misconduct). I kind of feel like this would have been swept under the rug if Mel was still winning anywhere near the clip of his breakout season at MSU. That's not fair at all to Brenda Tracy, but I feel like MSU is much more interested in getting out of that contract than actually finding the truth here and holding people accountable (if necessary).

On a separate point Brenda has been a guest speaker at Minnesota for the football program before and has tweeted positively about her interactions at the U.

Coaches can't stay one place too long. IF, PJ had the Michigan State opportunity...that's 10 years at $10 million per year guaranteed minimum and you are safe for 5 years to install the culture.
I doubt a 6 and 6 outlook gets an offer, however. He's gotta right the ship here to remain in the running doesn't he?
I don’t know if PJ would leave for MSU, but it’s definitely a way better job.

I am not sure we will ever know the full story here. I don't know if any of you read Mel Tucker's version of events in the ESPN story from last week, but it paints a different picture. I find it odd that a call where one sided phone sex was occurring lasted for 30 minutes. I also find it odd that Tucker was willing to admit to this behavior (which you could argue is cause for termination on its own and is at least a horrible look for a 51 year old married man to engage in with a younger woman who has been paid by the University to speak to his players on issues of sexual misconduct). I kind of feel like this would have been swept under the rug if Mel was still winning anywhere near the clip of his breakout season at MSU. That's not fair at all to Brenda Tracy, but I feel like MSU is much more interested in getting out of that contract than actually finding the truth here and holding people accountable (if necessary).

On a separate point Brenda has been a guest speaker at Minnesota for the football program before and has tweeted positively about her interactions at the U.

Whatever the truth is by firing for cause and settling later for say, half his contract they (MSU) defuse the PR bomb at a school with a legitimately horrendous scandal history. Michigan State gets to find a new, better coach at 50% discount. Brenda will get a big payday. Some men, ok a few men, ok maybe one somewhere out there may be more circumspect in their relationships or relationship choices or how they conduct themselves or even who they engage with beyond pleasantries, or flirt with…still trying to wrap my head around this one. Mel Tucker must be the dumbest person on the planet. Talk about a raft of bad choices, playing with fire. LMAO. Mega Tongue, hold my beer

1) right the ship? Minnesota is in the midst of their best 4 year stretch since at least the 70s just going off of conference records
2) last time Colorado they hired a coach who went 5-7
3) anyone offered 10 million for anything should probably seriously consider it. If they are going to throw around that number again I doubt fleck is the direction they want to go

4) I agree fleck isn’t as hot of a name as many others, but this isn’t a blue blood. MSU is a job that is closer to the Minnesota job than the Michigan job. Next year with conference expansion it is probably the 7th job at best in the conference and I would argue it is more like 10th in the conference. Whereas the Minnesota job is probably like 12th job.

I don’t know if PJ would leave for MSU, but it’s definitely a way better job.
Disagree with this. It is a little better. Michigan state is on the Minnesota tier of jobs more than they’re on the Ohio state tier

Michigan state is the top of tier 2 more than they are tier 1

Top Bottom