Mcneal leaves Clemson

After sitting out a year that would give him a year of eligibility, wouldn't it?

Yea he has 2years where ever he ends up going to.

Haven't seen him play, but his stats are kinda underwhelming. That said... We DO need WRs. I'd welcome him, no problem.

If he graduates and goes to a school with a grad program not offered at Clemson he would be eligible right away. Correct?

Maybe I am missing something, but what is his connection to the gophers? Is he from here?

I always had a bad feeling he was going to get over taken by the skill position players from the deep south. He should have stuck with the big ten where he would have had a lot better chance at succeeding. The players down there are just so fast and honestly on a different level. Their freshman wide receiver this year is unbelievable and over took him after fall camp was over. I doubt he ends up at the u...but you never know.

If he is looking for a quality football program close to home, there is always the Bison. I think their team is in better shape because of all the sandbagging they get to do in the spring. It is going to take me a while to get over the way they have dominated us. Pitiful.

Now if only he was about 10 feet taller, he would be the PERFECT target for Gray...

GophersOnTheRise said:
Yes. He played for Breck.

Thanks. People from the beginning were suggesting MN as a possibility and I had no clue why. It seems with every transfer in basketball, people seem to suggest the gophers. Didn't know if it was a case of that or he actually had ties.

Would be nice to have him come here and boost the WR depth as well. Get well soon coach kill and bring him in!

Haven't seen him play, but his stats are kinda underwhelming. That said... We DO need WRs. I'd welcome him, no problem.

I believe he said he started 8 games last season, but they use their WR for a lot of blocking, so his stats probably don't reflect his ability. And yes, he will be eligible to play next season.

He's a great kid - still (with Victor Keise) is my favorite recruit I'd ever had the pleasure of working with. Good for him for graduating, and he will now be pursuing his masters at the next school he attends.

Anyone else find it weird all these top rated recruits in Minnesota that have chosen to leave and a goo dmajority of them wash out at their chosen school's? Granted Maresh stayed and he washed out here. I'm not going to think about McNeal at all for now as there is no need to get WLA syndrome.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Gophers having too many athletes & not enough football players. Players who have the killer instinct, players who'll sacrifice anything to win, kids who're used to wining & expect to win. Anyone think McNeal is that kind of player? I don't. I think we has kind of a prima-donna during his recruitment & now that 3 Freshman have passed him on the depth chart he wants out. Pass.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Gophers having too many athletes & not enough football players. Players who have the killer instinct, players who'll sacrifice anything to win, kids who're used to wining & expect to win. Anyone think McNeal is that kind of player? I don't. I think we has kind of a prima-donna during his recruitment & now that 3 Freshman have passed him on the depth chart he wants out. Pass.

I tend to agree with you, I wouldn't put any effort into recruiting him, if he initiated contact, wanted to come to the u, and a scholership is available, i say go ahead and sign him.

I tend to agree with you, I wouldn't put any effort into recruiting him, if he initiated contact, wanted to come to the u, and a scholership is available, i say go ahead and sign him.

In all seriousness, can someone please tell me why they think Bryce McNeal would be a great WR addition to the Gophers (I am in the camp that he isn't a particularly good football player).

Costa Rican - I agree with you to some extent. Personally, I've never considered the Gophers to have too many "athletes," but agree that we need more mean/nasty football players. And I think it's a sliding scale based on the position you play. I'd rather have an undersized, slow nasty DT than a kid like Shede start (not picking on him, he's done fine - just fits the example). At WR, you can have some finesse players - as long as they know how to play and do it relatively hard. One last note - Sammy Watkins for Clemson is REALLY good - easy Sunday player

Jovs - yes, if he opens up the discussion, then absolutely sign him up.

In all seriousness, can someone please tell me why they think Bryce McNeal would be a great WR addition to the Gophers (I am in the camp that he isn't a particularly good football player).

An upgrade in skill to the position. Now I know where better off at the position than many of us thought we'd be going into camp, but we ain't great yet. McNeal = McKnight without the learning curve.

I know nothing of Bryce personally, but his highlight tape led me to believe he had a pretty good grasp of the WR position. I love having local kids on the roster. He is absolutely worth two years of a scholarship.

I don't know much about him personally as well, but in his senior year the wideouts could be a nice group. Moulton will be a senior, a developed Jones and Devin Crawford-Tufts stretching the field.

I would be all in favor of adding Bryce McNeal for a couple of reasons.

First, we are thin at WR and he would definitely be able to come in and play quite a bit. His stats aren't overly impressive but he was able to get quite a bit of PT early on a DEEP team at WR. If we were an established program, i'd pass, but we could really use the depth and talent.

Second, he is in a FAR different position than people like WLA or even Mobley. This is a kid that is going to graduate from Clemson in 3 years. He won't be a problem as far as academics or getting into trouble (presumably). He is in a similar position as Chris Hawthorne. He sees the writing on the wall (he won't get a lot of PT) and he has decided to go elsewhere, but do it the responsible way and finish his degree and get some playing time. I think comparisons of him to WLA must be geographic only.

Look at it like this, he is everything you like about JuCo's with almost zero risk. You don't have to worry about eligibility like you do with a lot of JuCos and you don't have to worry about them just looking good against bums (ahem...hayo...david pittman...ahem).

He caught 19 passes for a good Clemson team as a freshman. Why wouldn't you want him? You want as much athleticism as you can on a team that lacks athleticism.

He caught 19 passes for a good Clemson team as a freshman. Why wouldn't you want him? You want as much athleticism as you can on a team that lacks athleticism.

I'm jaded from the Dan Monson local kids who initially went elsewhere refugee project. It looked like a good call at the time, but many point to that open door, soft landing spot as a downfall of his regime. Coach Kill talked early about recruiting regional kids that want to be Gophers.

I wouldn't be opposed to McNeal at the U. They need to increase the overall athleticism of the team, he would certainly help in that regard.

I don't know...total Prima donna from the earlier link [http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=926]

GH: Why did you choose Clemson?

BM: My Mother’s sister that I grew up with (one of my favorite aunties), and a lot of my family is in Atlanta. I’ve also got family in North Carolina and South Carolina, so I’ll have family around where I’d be. Having family there makes a big difference for me; the home vibe and the opportunity to play was wonderful. I also liked the head coach and the all of the assistants.

GH: So it is basically that you can have the advantages you would have at Minnesota by having a support system, but still get to experience something new?

BM: Exactly.

GH: Who will be your wide receiver coach at Clemson?

BM: Jeff Scott.

GH: What’s his background? What do you like about him?

BM: He’s a young guy, I think was 27 and just turned 28 this week. He’s a really down to earth guy, he coaches hard, he’s a good Christian and a wonderful guy that my family and I trust.

How was that a total prima donna?

He said he chose Clemson because he wanted to try something new and he has some family there. Doesn't sound like the prima donna ish response I was expecting from the begining of your post.

Top Bottom